7th Ed Quickstarter Rules are out!!!

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Citysliker
Junior
Junior
7th Ed Quickstarter Rules are out!!!

Post by Citysliker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:14 pm

All Kickstarter backers check your email for a link through to the PDF!!!

Excellent!!

MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: 7th Ed Quickstarter Rules are out!!!

Post by MikeM » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Yay!

We've been busting a gut to get these out asap - so really pleased they have now been released.

Hope you enjoy reading & playing with them!

Thanks

Mike
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

Citysliker
Junior
Junior

Post by Citysliker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:16 am

Great job Mike.

Really nice work and gives the community a real jolt to keep us going :)

Think it will lead to some activity on the forums too!

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:47 pm

:cthulhudance: Woohoo! :yay:

I'm going through them now. I really love the new artwork. Nice, simple creation method, too. Works well for a QS.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:27 pm

I will admit I find it slightly amusing that there is an ad for 6th edition in the back of the 7th ed quickstart.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 am

..and I,being the sad bastard I am have it printed and bound already.
:roll:
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

JH33
Freshman
Freshman

Post by JH33 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Really pleased these have come out and agree the artwork looks great - very much liking what I'm reading too.

Only thing I can't quite get my head around at the mo though is the new health rules. As I read it it seems to be saying that you need to suffer a 'major wound' to actually risk dying. Does this mean then that if you get to zero and you carry on taking less than 50% of your maximum hit points from a single wound you just stay uncouncious? If that's the case I assuming then that you just need to be clear with players at the start that they can also be killed narratively - e.g. you just descibe them eventually drowning or being eaten by rats while you're knocked out? Or am I am I just missing something....

Anyone got any insights/thoughts?

Cheers!

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:04 pm

You're right, there should be something in the text on that. I think that it makes sense for Major Wounds to be calculated from half the current HP rather than always from the full value. That would make any attacks after unconsciousness a Major.

Oh, and I love the critical damage values for weapons. Blunt does max damage, and impale does max plus a roll. That makes a lot of sense to me, and is very close to how I've done it for a while.
CoC 7e is just as deadly as it ever was with these kinds of things. Once we get a clarification of the Major Wound question that JH33 had, we'll know just how lethal. it really is. :shock:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

MikeM
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by MikeM » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi

A character is dying when their hit points are reduced to zero and they have also sustained a Major Wound, the character immediately falls unconscious. The player must make a CON roll at the end of the next round and every round thereafter; if one of these CON rolls fails, the character dies immediately. Also, if a single wound is taken equal to (or greater) than maximum HPs then that character is dead.

Major wound is half or more of max HP. This means that bar fights (usually doing less than half damage in a single hit) are not (normally) lethal, whereas a hit from a dark young probably is. A shot from a gun (lets say 1D8 or 1D10 damage) - 50% of the time is likely to cause a major wound, an impaling bullet from either of these guns is likely to cause death outright.

Guns kill, so do knives and weapons. Fists hurt (mostly..)

I've found investigators die very easily when faced with competent opponents.

Hope that helps

Mike
Mike D Mason
Call of Cthulhu Line Editor, Chaosium Inc.

JH33
Freshman
Freshman

Post by JH33 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks Dan and thanks Mike - really appreciate you taking the time to repond.

That explanation makes sense. Presumably it also means that as the mechanical hook for characters dying is the definition of a major wound we could - if an injury wasn't in a classic combat situation (if it was fire, drowning, strangulation or the swarm of rats for example) - just state that due to the specific nature of the harm it should class a 'major wound' - even though it hasn't done 50% of hit points in a single blow. Not that I'm really desperate for my players to die or anything....

I do really like the idea of a major wound being a potentially mortal blow and reducing the possibility of minor wounds leading to meaningless deaths. And I agree with Dan that the critical damage effects is awesome - I can certainly how it will combine really nicely with the new combat mechanics to might gunfights genuinely scary!

Thanks again.