Television

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Television

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:59 am

So, what shows are you watching? What do you like?

I'm currently hooked on Doctor Who, Alphas, Falling Skies, Face-Off, and now I'm into Copper. I just caught the first episode, and it was great. I'm a big fan of BBC America.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: Television

Post by Wordcraftian » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Absolutely LOVE the modern Sherlock show they put out for the BBC. The first Series was on Netflix, and I fully intend to purchase them all on Blu-Ray as they are released.

Game of Thrones is another show I can't wait to catch up on, waiting for the second season to be released on Disc as I've no legal way to watch anything current.

But to be honest, right now I'm stuck without Satellite/Cable Television at all, so I only have access to what I own on DVD. Naturally I'm seizing the opportunity to re-watch DragonBall Z and am about to dive into my collection of Boy Meets World. Lol. So glad my wife is tolerant.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Things I don't miss: The Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, Game Of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Sherlock.
The new thing: The Newsroom
Biggest loser this season: Continuum, what a pile of crap this turned out to be and yet, people claim it's the best sci-fi ever :shock:

Other than those I watch stuff pretty randomly, but I do add to those at times and I watch pretty much the first 3-4 episodes of any sci-fi, fantasy or horror based show.
Last edited by TAK on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm weeping silently because my wife just does not want to spend the money on HBO or Netflix. I have seen the first two episodes of season one of Game of Thrones, but that is it.

I don't own a Blu-Ray player yet, but I plan to buy one soon, and my first purchase will be Game of Thrones!!! Dangit!!!

I'm currently in the first 1/3rd of the 3rd book.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I read the first book, and got about half-way through the second before I had to throw in the towel. I had a really hard time with those books, and I LOVE to read, hell, I love to read LOVECRAFT! Still thought the Song of Ice and Fire series was too wordy and convoluted. If you're going to have 12 different plot lines and 50+ important/relevant characters... don't give them all three or four different names! Don't extensively explore characters who are not immediately important to the plot. And for the love of God get to the good parts with Daenerys! Feels like Martin had ideas for three separate series in the same universe and just decided to roll them all into one. But maybe that's just me, or maybe it's just because I tried to listen to them on Audiobook... though I had no problem with the Dark Tower series or any other books I've experienced in that format.

The show is amazing though, at least with visual representations the characters aren't so difficult to follow. In fact, having seen the first season might help me get through the rest of the books if I ever decide to take another run at them.
Things I don't miss: The Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, Game Of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Sherlock.
TAK, how is it that you don't miss some of the greatest programming this Generation will ever see? That is, the latter three more than the first two.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Wordcraftian wrote: TAK, how is it that you don't miss some of the greatest programming this Generation will ever see? That is, the latter three more than the first two.
That is I never miss watching them :)

Also, I could maybe fill a phonebook with the shows I hate, current and past.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 pm

TAK wrote: That is I never miss watching them :)

Also, I could maybe fill a phonebook with the shows I hate, current and past.
:x Doh! I get it now because I is smart and stuff. :D

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Doh! I forgot about The Walking Dead. I love it too.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:Doh! I forgot about The Walking Dead. I love it too.
Yeah, my interest is kinda waning on it since it seems to go forward even slower than the comic (I have 14 TPBs of it).
And of course I'm hoping to see most of the characters bite it next season and since they won't (knowing how TV works) I think I will quit watching after the next season.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:19 pm

TAK wrote:
Keeper Jon wrote:Doh! I forgot about The Walking Dead. I love it too.
Yeah, my interest is kinda waning on it since it seems to go forward even slower than the comic (I have 14 TPBs of it).
And of course I'm hoping to see most of the characters bite it next season and since they won't (knowing how TV works) I think I will quit watching after the next season.
I'm also a devout follower of the comic book. I actually like how the tv series is running different from the comics. I don't know how it's going to unfold, and that makes it awesome for me.