Television

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Television

Post by Cthuhugh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:35 am

I don't usually watch the crap my wife watches however one show the trouble and strife likes that I don't minds is "The Incredible Dr.Pol.' http://natgeotv.com.au/tv/the-incredible-dr-pol/
Not bad for a Veterinarian show.

And my favorite Dr Who is the one that was the current one when I started watching the show-Jon Pertwee,the Third Doctor.
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:35 pm

• Arrow (about the DC Comics superhero the Green Arrow)
  • Grimm (the monsters from the tales of the Brothers Grimm are real and still active in the present day)
  • Teen Wolf (a teenager gets bitten by a werewolf)
  • Family Guy (do I really have to explain this one?)
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:17 am

I'm a big British Mystery fan myself so I love Inspector Morse, Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Wallander (UK version), and too many others to list. :-D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm

A couple of new shows I've gotten into recently: Vikings and Utopia.
As for the best show on TV right now: Archer. No other show comes even anywhere close to Archer.

I also watch random documentaries on various things, recently a lot of drug related ones, Drugs Inc. series and soon to start with Drugged series. Later is National Geographic and former, um, I wanna say Discovery, but most likely it's also NG.

For older stuff, I've been watching a LOT of Top Gear, currently in season 10. I don't own a license, nor do I drive, but that show is just full of fun stuff, I watch multiple episodes a day.
Last edited by TAK on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEben
Freshman
Freshman

Post by MrEben » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm

TAK wrote: As for the best show on TV right now: Archer. No other show comes even anywhere close to Archer.
Couldn't agree more. Each season I worry that the quality level will drop off, but it is still fantastic.

I am also a sucker for the BBC Stuff from Morse to Doctor Who (new and classic).

Justified was really good this season, as well.
“The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense.”
— Jim Harrison, The Beast God Forgot to Invent

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Utopia was awesome btw!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm a big fan of the Song of Ice and Fire books, I really enjoy them. I think HBO is doing a pretty good job of adapting them to TV. Rome and Deadwood are definitely two of my all-time favorites from HBO, though and so far I don't think GoT has lived up to them.

A friend really recommended Spartacus, and since I'm running the Invictus game and we don't have Starz, I had to get the first season on Blueray. I'm pretty disappointed - I don't like the "300" graphical style and it's blatant sex and gore for no reason other than ratings. At least they're catering to women as well as men with the showing of naughty bits.

We watched Copper, but I actually enjoy Ripper Street a lot more (if you like the actor that plays Bron in GoT, he's in Ripper Street this season).

My wife watches Grimm and that other fairy tale show on a different network, TBH I get them confused with each other and really can't stand them. Warehouse 13 is another one that I wish I liked (so much potential), but I hate it.

Recently started watching Orphan Black, it's interesting and seems like it has potential, but I don't know how long they can keep the story up. I was hoping that Continuum would be good, and while I don't think it's total junk, it's probably not long for my watch list.

We saw the pilot for Defiance the other night, it's the show that is also an MMO. So glad I turned down the recruiter that was trying to get me to interview for that game studio a few years ago. This show (and presumably the game) are not long for this world. Ughh. Same thing with that other post-apocalyptic show, Revolution. So much cheese.

Amazing Race and Survivor are our two reality show vices.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Oh, how did I forget Ripper Street? That show is just pure awesome!

Tried watching Banshee, shit. Tried watching Orphan Black, shit. Tried watching Rogue, shit. And they all have the same downfall, full frontal nudity or very high nudity and like Spartacus, it's only for ratings. NOTHING to do with the plot, nor is the any reason to show the sex scenes, other than ratings. And yes, I'm a full hetero male, but if it has nothing to do with the plot, I lose interest, I have the whole internet for pr0n if I want it.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 pm

I dig Orphan Black, as it feels like a BBC show, but has a little North American gloss. Also, it doesn't try to hide it's shooting location, as there are plenty Ontario licence plates, and the opening train scene is clearly Union Station. Also, the uncertainty of the protagonist as to how far they can press their own contrivances is interesting. I find Canadian television (either produced or filmed) has a fair bit of nudity in it on a fairly regular basis, but it never seems to be an issue. I don't feel it's really gratutious, compared to some other shows, or really distracting from the plot.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm

As it happens, Murph was asking for some other stuff I've been watching and this is some that came to mind.

Hannibal - Just awesome, Mads is just really fitting as Hannibal and the rest of the crew really doesn't matter after you see him, tho most of them are good too. And of course, the pretty grim murders.

The Fall - Another interesting take on a fairly similar subject, only this one is British, so it's more subtle and might end up being very, hmm, volatile due to, well, you'll see...

Comic Book Men
- Any nerd worth his salt should watch this, Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) version of Pawn Stars.

Things I haven't actually watched much yet, but might end up being good:
The Borgias - 3 episodes in seems good and well, Jeremy Irons...

Da Vinci's Demons - Seen the pilot, seems pretty horrid so far. Update: seen the first 2 episodes, about the only thing it does is kills time... of course you'll be bored out of your skull most of the time, so it's not even killing it very good.

The Following - Only seen the pilot, so not sure, something is kinda not making me all that interested, but I'll give it another few episode, if only for that one scene in the pilot that made it worth watching. Update: watched the whole thing, horrible. DO NOT WATCH! Unless you're into the S&M.

Hemlock Grove - Well, I've seen the first 2, but it's not enough to make up my mind, it could end up good, but it could end up being just another Twilight/Vampire Diaries clone.

Dracula - Obviously haven't seen this since it hasn't started yet, but it should start by the end of the year and let's all hope it won't suck... tho I'm not holding my breath.

American Horror Story

Luther - First 3 have been good, tho already bored with the "bitch"... except for those lips ;)

The Killing - Seen the 2 part pilot. Not enough to make any comment either way.

Zero Hour - The pilot had it's moments, but I'm not expecting much from it moving forward. Update: seen the first 3, aside from the background stuff with Nazis, not very good at all.

Copper - New York, 1864. Irish cop. This might be good, watching the pilot as soon as I'm done with this posting. Not expecting another Ripper Street, but I can hope. Update: Pilot done, not bad at all, will see how it develops.

Another thing I forgot to mention:
Sherlock - A very interesting take on Sherlock Holmes, I've seen all of the episodes and the pilot was one of my favorite pilots ever... Well, at least it was until the Utopia pilot.

Things to avoid like the plague:
Defiance - and here I thought Continuum was the worst new sci-fi show, this one just took the cake... the shit cake. It took it, devoured it and asked for seconds. Holy shit, the first 5min told me enough about this one, the next 20 was pain and then I had to stop for the sake of my sanity (what's left of it).

Grimm - There is not enough bad words in the dictionary to describe my hate for this show. I'll just leave you with this, I think I'd rather watch 3 episodes of The Vampire Diaries (also, DO NOT FUCKING WATCH) than 1 of Grimm. Biggest pile of this on TV since... Well, I'm sure there been something worse, I'll get back to ya on that one.