B-Movies

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
B-Movies

Post by trevlix » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:59 pm

From the latest podcast, it sounds like alot of people here are fans of b-movies. I figured this would be a good thread to start a list of our favorites and recommendations.

I'll also plug http://www.badmovies.org - one of the best b-movie sites.

For classic b-movies, for me it doesn't get any better than The Thing from Another World or Them. Awesome examples of 50's creature features.

I also have a fondness for Hawk the Slayer, one of the 80s fantasy b-movies that came out. Jack Palance as an evil warrior? Yes please!

So many other good ones out there, but I'll stop for now.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: B-Movies

Post by Scriven » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:50 pm

B Movies? Awww yeah! And, well, since we're on the subject, may I point out that a longtime aspiration of mine has been to design and/or play in a series of Call of Cthulhu adventures based on some of the best (or worst) offerings from Mystery Science Theater 3000? I bounced the idea of a Manos: Hands of Fate (1966) CoC game off of Keeper Dan once upon a time, and he said he already had plans in that direction.

So pursuant to both Trevlix's discussion and my MST3K angle (synopses lifted from Wikipedia):

1. The Atomic Brain (1963) A wealthy, aging widow wants to transplant her brain into the body of a young woman.
2. The Screaming Skull (1958) Newly married wife Jenni can't tell if the skull she sees in her new home is a ghostly apparition of her husband's dead first wife, or just hallucinations from her own nervous condition... or something else.
3. Track of the Moon Beast (1976) A New Mexico mineralogist is struck in the head by a tiny meteor. When the moon becomes full, he becomes a mindless humanoid lizard monster.
4. The Final Sacrifice (1990) A teen follows a map left for him by his long-dead father, runs afoul of a devil-worshiping cult, then teams up with a beer-guzzling drifter who has a secret.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 pm

MST3K! One of the greatest shows of all time. I own Manos: Hands of Fate (MST3K version) on DVD. I need to break that out and subject my family to it!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 pm

trevlix wrote:MST3K! One of the greatest shows of all time. I own Manos: Hands of Fate (MST3K version) on DVD. I need to break that out and subject my family to it!
Warning! They might never look at you the same after that. Especially if you tell them they're going to see the best movie ever made, a cinematic masterpiece, and that it's a shame it never even got nominated for an Oscar. With a straight face, of course. ;) *LOL*
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 am

I love the idea. Like a very specialized Blood Brothers.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

AshtonRCClarke
Freshman
Freshman

Post by AshtonRCClarke » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Of the more recent releases, Hobo With a Shotgun, although that one is more of a B-movie tribute than a B-movie in itself.

Most (if not all) Lovecraft-inspired movies are also B-movies. The Reanimator, From Beyond, The Unnamable, Dagon and Chtulhu are among the better known. I would recommend all these to B-movie fans. There is also a (rather bad) Dunwich Horror.

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:35 pm

I am a huge MSTie, and love all things bmovie as well! I will try to post my bust/ mask collection for you guys sometime soon.... Got some great Bmovie stuff! I backed the kickstarter for Riff Trax (basically MST3K crew with Mike no Joel) recently and the got Starship Troopers to riff coming soon to the theaters live.

A Manos hands of Fate scenario sounds so awesome. If anyone makes that on here and shares it, I would love to run that for my group without telling them at first. They would die laughing when they found out what it was.
Erich B.
Denton, TX

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 pm

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/ ... 231024.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/ ... 230955.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/ ... 230614.jpg
Here's most of my collection, .Universal Horror is a favorite of mine as well....some cool bmovie stuff too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Erich B.
Denton, TX

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Oh yeah notice the lovecraft bust I painted bronze among the middle of the 2nd shelf, also some other idols, a shub, cthulhu, queen in yellow, and yig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Erich B.
Denton, TX

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 pm

I love the displays!
Who's hand is in the glass on the bottom shelf? I can't really identify it clearly.
I love how the Romero zombie is looking at the HPL statuary. And the Gillman stuff! That hand is fantastic!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast