Some random MoN RPG goodness – mild spoilers

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore
Some random MoN RPG goodness – mild spoilers

Post by CthulhuDude » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:44 pm

I wonder how many people did the Mountain of the Black Wind chapter of Masks of Nyarlathotep with a biplane for air support, strafing and bombing the cultists below and having a dogfight with a hunting horror, while the ground forces made it up the mountain path pushing a Maxim machine gun on a cart? Then summoning up Nygotha for some help at the end! Oh not to mention a mass sacrifice to appease Nygotha while the investigators tell themselves over and over, “It’s for the greater good, and they’re evil cultists and they would have done the same thing to us!” I love pushing my players to the “be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one” limit. Then when the volcano starts to erupt after killing the ***spoiler**** (because hey, why not?), having the survivors grab hold of the wings of the one-seat biplane (right out of 1999’s The Mummy) so they can make their daring escape while a huge, shadowy manifestation of Nyarlathotep swats at them, King Kong style, from the heavens. Now that’s how you end an epic campaign! And that's why I love this game.

:fhtagn:
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Some random MoN RPG goodness – mild spoilers

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:07 pm

:yay: That kind of epic badassness is why I infuse pulp into my games. I want people to be able to do awesome things and look like a boss doing it. :tommy:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 pm

I like all flavors of CoC. From the atmospheric, paranoia-inducing, crap-your-pants-scary scenarios, to the two-fisted adventures. But for me, there was only one way to embrace MoN. But that’s not to say it was an easy adventure. I kept a memorial wall of sorts for how any investigator left the game. R.I.P. you brave men and women, you save the day and paid the ultimate price:

Greg - Martial Artist - Death by creature’s tentacles
'Bull' - Big Game Hunter - Eaten by Nile Crocodile
Sterling - Bounty Hunter - Blown up by own grenade
Glynn – Track Runner - Deep one spear
Ethan – History Professor - Retired to insane asylum
Jonathan – Dilettante - Cleaved in two by cultist’s sword
Gunter - Mercenary - Fell to death from jungle bridge
Franklin - Doctor - Torn apart by invisible monster
Rick - Football Player - Death by Shriveling spell
Victor- Doctor - Beaten by cultists’ clubs
Godfrey – Gentelman Criminal - Deep one claws
Jean – Sharpshooter - Permanent insanity
Adam – Lawyer - Impaled self while climbing iron gate
Sam - P.I. - Fell off boat and drowned
John - Treasure Hunter - Crushed by collapsing temple
Adriana – Bootlegger - Retired to insane asylum
Mary – Nurse – consumed by Servitor of the Outer Gods
Rowan - Theology Teacher - Fell off wing of plane during escape from the Black Mtn.

Can I get a moment of silence for the fallen?
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:50 pm

I think this has to be my favorite- Adam – Lawyer - Impaled self while climbing iron gate
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah, that was my friend Tom, who died 3 times in MoN, not ONCE to a creature or cultists. He impaled himself on a gate while trying to get away from a Servitor of the Outer Gods. He was already badly wounded and fumbled a climb roll, so I thought that was a good way for him to go. Then his next character lasted 10 whole mins as he started off as a character on a ship in a storm. When deep ones attacked the vessel, he made a series of fumbles and fell overboard and drowned. Then his last PC death came at the end of an epic temple raid that climaxed with the destruction of the temple. He was lying on the ground with 1 HP (but was stabilized by the doctor) when A chunk of the temple fell on him. Squish. :D Talk about just bad luck. But his 4th guy was the charm and he made it to the triumphant end.