First board game love?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: First board game love?

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:37 am

trevlix wrote:I think my true first board game love was Castle Risk. As a matter of fact, I never actually played the original Risk until years later.

I highly agree with Gloom - that is a fun game, but you need the right people to play it. I would also recommend Ticket to Ride if you've never played it.
Yes, Ticket to Ride is awesome. That is one of the few games I've gotten my wife and in-laws excited about playing. Love it.

vladsee
Freshman
Freshman

Post by vladsee » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 am

I discovered hobby board games only a few years ago too. Having an interest in military history, I gravitated towards board wargames especially the old games from Avalon Hill, SPI, GDW, Victory Games, etc. The one game that I really love and play a lot these days is Advanced Squad Leader.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:19 am

vladsee wrote:I discovered hobby board games only a few years ago too. Having an interest in military history, I gravitated towards board wargames especially the old games from Avalon Hill, SPI, GDW, Victory Games, etc. The one game that I really love and play a lot these days is Advanced Squad Leader.
ASQL is an excellent game. Great, simple design with a good mix of pure tactics and chance. Simple command-and-control mechanic. A friend from high school got me playing again just a couple of years ago, and it really holds up.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

1d4cast_James
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by 1d4cast_James » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:30 am

My first board game love was HeroQuest by Milton Bradley games. From there I got onto D&D and then other RPGs.
Founder and Co-Host of the 1d4Cast Podcast and 1d4Con.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 pm

I just saw news of an expansion for Mansions of Madness, by Fantasy Flight. The Dark Young mini looks like it has the Rolling Stones logo for its mouth.
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/24083.html
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:I just saw news of an expansion for Mansions of Madness, by Fantasy Flight. The Dark Young mini looks like it has the Rolling Stones logo for its mouth.
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/24083.html
LOL! Yes, I can't wait for it to come out.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:05 pm

I don't remember which of these that I found first. I might have found all three at around the same time, and I've played them many times. DungeonQuest, HeroQuest and Talisman.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Circus Maximus(fav), Sanctuary, Car Wars and Star Fleet Battles I would consider Board Games. We just played the Game of Thrones board game recently. Unless your talking MiltonBradley style, then Clue would be my favorite.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 pm

My first board game addiction was for Fireball Island. It made me feel like Indiana Jones, and there was nothing better than rolling a fireball and knocking a friend or sibling off of a bridge. That was replaced a year later when we discovered Castle Risk. We played a LOT of Risk.

Currently my fave is Elder Sign, as it's a lot quicker to set up and play through than Arkham Horror, and I can play solo if I can't get a group together.

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 am

Hi Keeper Jon,

I am a huge board and card gamer as well! My first love for a board game was HeroQuest! Check it out, its very D&D, but for a younger audience (well out of print). The board game industry is blowing up and there are tons of variety out now. Boardgamegeek is the best resource for all board gaming by far and you can make free profiles on there and even trade games (which I have done many times). Plus kickstarter is an awesome resource for board game card gaming now. Wil Wheaton's Tabletop is done a great job of bring board gaming (and RPGs) to light as well. I have a huge collection now and ever growing, especially my Lovecraftian games :)
Erich B.
Denton, TX