Shadow of the Eternals

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore
Shadow of the Eternals

Post by CthulhuDude » Tue May 07, 2013 1:14 am

Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem was a great Lovecraftian horror video game that sadly never got the exposure it deserved. It continually makes critics’ lists of “Best Horror Games Ever” including mine. Well now there is hope for a “spiritual successor” in Shadow of the Eternals. I am very excited about this and hope it becomes reality, so I thought I'd pass this on to you in case there are any other Lovecraftian video game fans on here.

Crowdfunding Campaign Video - http://www.sbvid.us/6l

Official Site to Pledge on - http://www.ShadowOfTheEternals.com

Yay! :cthulhudance:
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Shadow of the Eternals

Post by Gladius » Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 am

I never played the original game, until I got a Wii and someone told me I could run old gamecube games on it. I still haven't gotten through the game but I've heard really great things about it.
$1.5M is a lot of money, though. I hope they succeed, but have my doubts...

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is another great one in this genre.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - not so much.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 am

The original was great, and the early footage of this looks good, but I think there are too many reservations about Dennis Dyack's ability based on the Too Human/Epic Games fiasco, plus squandering significant Canadian grant money on projects that never saw the light of day... It also seems like quite a lot of money to be looking for up-front on an episodic structured game, especially with a small core team.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Never finished Eternal Darkness, in fact never got very far at all. I should buy a GameCube (never will get something called Wii) and get it again, as I've heard it's very excellent.

Been meaning to buy and try Amnesia as well as it's available on Steam and I believe it had a second game now too.

Also never got far in Call Of Cthulhu: DCotE, tho I still have it, so I could play it at any point.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

I've never played Sanity's Requiem, but have always wanted to. This looks interesting, but I admit I'm not a fan of games released in "episodes", which this one looks like it will.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

CthulhuDude
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by CthulhuDude » Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Sanity's Requiem was a great game IMHO. Strong links to Lovecraft, it took place over the ages, good characters, a surprisingly good combat system for the time, and it had some great and truly memorable sanity/insanity mechanics and moments. True, Dennis Dyack is known for making great promises and then not delivering on them, but I hope this is one instance where they get things right.
“Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk.” ― Robert Bloch

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Wed May 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm not familiar with the crowdfunding site they are using and can't find much info on it. Has anyone else ever used it?
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/