Call of Cthulhu vs Dungeons and Dragons

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Call of Cthulhu vs Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Howard » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm

WFRP(2e) sounds like the compromise for this group. Dark and gritty, low/no magic, gunpowder, insanity, cultists are the main badguy, most every published scenario I've encountered has the PCs going from town to town investigating, avoiding combat. There are career paths that lean towards combat but each party usually only requires one of these guys to get bye. The mechanics(2e) are eerily similar to the BRP, they may have the same writers. The Enemy Within campaign is up there in the hearts of WFRPs just like Mountains of Madness would be for Cthulhu-heads.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Call of Cthulhu vs Dungeons and Dragons

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed May 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Howard wrote:WFRP(2e) sounds like the compromise for this group. Dark and gritty, low/no magic, gunpowder, insanity, cultists are the main badguy, most every published scenario I've encountered has the PCs going from town to town investigating, avoiding combat. There are career paths that lean towards combat but each party usually only requires one of these guys to get bye. The mechanics(2e) are eerily similar to the BRP, they may have the same writers. The Enemy Within campaign is up there in the hearts of WFRPs just like Mountains of Madness would be for Cthulhu-heads.
I agree about wfrpg. I like that system and setting quite a bit.