STYGIAN: Reign of The Old Ones. A Lovecraftian computer RPG.

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman
Re: STYGIAN: Reign of The Old Ones. A Lovecraftian computer

Post by Scrawled » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:11 pm

We've always loved written descriptions in CRPGs. Think of the gore descriptions of Fallout or Planescape: Torment's surreal written depictions of its landscape.

There is always something interesting in that text box that adds another layer of immersion to the game. You can learn how the air smells, notice subtle changes in character's faces, feel tingling sensations under your skin... Right text creates the imaginary stimulant that can't be shown with fancy graphics and merge player better with the game's world.

We view this as an extension of the oral practice of Dungeon Master telling the players what's going on around them in tabletop role playing. We love tabletop roleplaying as any decent RPG developer around and we're writing our descriptive texts honoring Lovecraft as the Game Master of Stygian. His style and lexicon will be present in all of our game text to create the feeling of weird fiction's master is actually your game master in Stygian. We shared some examples below:

Vein Roots are now infesting Arkham

"This strange leafless red ivy grows out from the ground and strangulates all buildings and edifices, seemingly spurting out of every crevice. It's contorted and serpentine form constitutes a threatening appearance."

The Old Eel House

"This local restaurant, once a bright and cheerful gathering place, is now a haven for hoodlums and fools, a de facto clubhouse for the hard boiled denizens of this doomed town. The uneven chatter within speaks of conspiracy, and the dim light reveals just enough to discourage your approach."

The Grandfather Altar

"This towering depiction of one of the Elder Gods perches atop the naked base of a shattered statue. Fashioned from scraps of wood and metal, awkwardly fastened together with nautical rope, it displays the twisted aesthetics of it's makers, men clearly cursed with some disease of the brain."
STYGIAN: Reign of the Old Ones
--------------------------------------
A Lovecraftian Computer RPG
http://www.stygianthegame.com

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Greetings Fellow Occultists!

In this update, we'd like to ask your opinion about some of the stretch goals we have in mind.

Before announcing our ruinous plans, we wish to explain a decision we took about the hierarchy of our stretch goals. Since Stygian was Greenlit on Steam, we've been approached both by our brother acolytes and private companies on the matter of language localisation of game content. With the launch of our Kickstarter, interest has escalated, and we've decided to include the localisation process as a natural part of the development of Stygian. With this out of the way, we will now focus our efforts on content, content, and more content!

Let's have a look.

The Town of Dunwich (Expansion Area)

The ramshackle hamlet of Dunwich awaits beyond the eddying mists. This isolated farming village hosts an unspeakable horror somewhere among the warrens of tumbledown warehouses and shacks. Perhaps a relaxing tour of this charming burg would provide a nice break from the hustle and bustle of Arkham...

Can you feel its presence?

We plan to add the Town of Dunwich to the game as an additional area with its own unique quest line, NPCs, items and events.

Dreamlands (New Game Systems and Narrative Content)

Do you think that sleep may offer some respite from the horrors of the Black Day? Not in Stygian. You'll think twice before slipping into the realm of Morpheus, for another world of wonder and terror awaits in the Dreamlands!

Rest you may find, but not in dreams. Rather, in death...

We're planning to implement a set of Dreamlands experiences to add yet another layer of engrossing storytelling and gameplay to Stygian, while giving a unique edge to familiar rest mechanics.

When resting from your exertions, you will be able to enter the Dreamlands and achieve different goals by unveiling the mysteries of your ancestors in this other world.

Dreamlands will include both adventure game elements and puzzle-like combat encounters. The unique perks you gain in the Dreamlands will also be reflected in the waking world of Stygian.

Spell-crafting (New Game Systems)

Would you like to create your own spells to thwart your foes and possibly hasten your own demise? With spell-crafting you'll be able to cobble together your own incantations from the Occult Phrases you've previously learned.

Image+

The more you master the Art, the closer to the Abyss you tread.

It will take some time to balance the strengths and penalties of magick spells, but this forbidden knowledge will grant you access to new survival strategies and immerse you even further in the Mythos!

What do you think? Please write your priorities to the comments section below!

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Greetings Acolytes!

Thanks for your participation! It's wonderful to see such excitement and curiosity towards what comes next for Stygian :)

The order of our stretch goals is as follows:

You can click on our Stretch Goals to learn more about them.

And with your permission we'd like to repeat our decision on Localisation Stretch Goals, in case some of our backers have missed our previous update:

Since Stygian was Greenlit on Steam, we've been approached both by interested professional individuals and private companies on the matter of language localisation of game content. With the launch of our Kickstarter, interest has escalated, and we've decided to include the localisation process as a natural part of the development of Stygian. Now we see the French, German, Spanish and Russian localisations of Stygian as a stronger possibility and decided to focus on additional content. Please contact us via message or e-mail for further information.

See you in our next update!

That is not dead which can eternal be played.

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Greetings fellow Arkham residents!

In this update we'd like to give you additional details about some of our gifts and their connection to the game's lore.

Merry Folk from the Stars

Written by the mysterious Edmund Whateley and published by the equally enigmatic publishing house Cultic Press, "Merry Folk from the Stars" caused a wave of hysteria among children across the country. Some see the unholy success that came by the publication of this cursed book as the final nail in the coffin of our society.

Nothing is known about the book's mysterious author Whateley

Parents all over the country reported hallucinations, aggressive behavior, catatonic trances and even worse symptoms displayed by their children who read the book. Further complicating this dismal situation, Merry Folk could only be the beginning of what is yet to come...

Some say the book has a "hypnotic" quality

There is a unique quest in the game concerning the shadowy author of Merry Folk and the clues you'll learn from the actual book will help you complete it.

Merry Folk Figurines

We're proud of these little rascals and wanted to shed more light on their design process. You can check their detailed 3D models in 360 degrees from the link below:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3828226 ... -the-stars

3D designs of our collector figures

Special Edition Game Tome

Some photos of the game tome no.001

From the beginning we had the image of a hand made Necronomicon-like leather game box in our minds for the collector's edition of Stygian. As far as we know, this is a first in video game history. All this magic happens with the experience and the artisan-ship of one person: Master Sebo.

Behold! The re-animator of dead skin is at work.

All the special edition game tomes will be manufactured by the veteran leather worker, Master Sebo. Your tome will be unique to you due to the variations in the leather stocks and the organic nature of the manufacturing process.

And at last; our cultist robe speaks for itself. You may have realized that we're wearing the same robes in our Kickstarter video.

With this robe, you'll get all the attention in esoteric rituals

See you in the next update!

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Greetings dear listeners of Radio New England,

In this update we'd like to give you more information about the composing process of Stygian along with sharing some of our haunted melodies with you. Our composer and long time collaborator Asli Kobaner is working tirelessly on making the auditory world of Stygian blend with the other elements of the game, such as visuals and emotional themes.

Stygian's Composer Asli Kobaner

Let's hear her thoughts on the music of Stygian:

"Hi Friends! I'm Asli, a servant of the Sunken Lord just like you.

The music that shall accompany you in your journey in Stygian will hopefully materialize through my humble agency. I'd like to underline the word “humble” since I can define myself as a humble gamer, though an old and avid Lovecraft fan.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/VCeFKs2Vc2s[/youtube1]

In the beginning, when we started brainstorming about the musical essence of Stygian, we extracted some key words: mystery, haunting, occult, desolation, tragedy... Bringing our lonely, forsaken world to life has been and still is a challenging task to fulfill. Those key emotions that will probably help you being immersed by the strange worlds of Lovecraft also led me to explore their musical substitutes: from dense textures to simple melodies, repeating rhythms to droning ambiances, all kinds of functional material. Especially through juxtaposition of these, multiple layers of distinct material, I aim to emphasize the contrast between the different planes of Stygian, different phases of the Stygian experience, thus depict its colorful diversity.

In this journey, I hope to take strength from the legacy of contemporary composers, as well as some cult examples of vintage game music. And of course, from the dark lore of metal that take its strength from our lord Cthulhu!"

You can find a work in progress theme we share just for our backers below.

See you in the next update!

We'll dance restlessly in the halls of the Sunken Lord.

Stygian Theme 2: The Path of Desolation

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Greetings fellow admirers of the macabre!

In this update we'd like to give you more information on the creation process of our environment art along with sharing some images from different stages of production. Our environment artist Elwira Pawlikowska is responsible for breathing life into the eerie landscapes you'll visit in Stygian. Her painstaking, authentic pencil drawing style and background in architecture made her the perfect choice for Stygian's backgrounds.

Our Environment Artist Elwira Pawlikowska

Our creative director Can decided Elwira was the right choice after seeing such illustrations of the artist.

Let's hear Elwira's thoughts on the process:

"Hi there lone fighters against the forces of darkness! I'm Elwira - the environment artist responsible for giving the right shape to the Stygian's settings.

What was needed was a hand drawn 2D world reflecting the mood of Lovecraft's universe, saturated with decay, hopelessness and madness.

The first step was "research" ie becoming familiar with book and newspaper illustrations "from the era" (1920s), analyzing approach to contours, shading and texturing. It also meant browsing through plenty of images related with US industrial districts from the prohibition time and ... photos of extremely weird mushrooms.

The next step was making precise pencil drawings of my own designs (buildings, vehicles, plants, environment in general). After scanning them it was time for "digital inking" with a graphic tablet, which enabled the graphic crew to work freely with all the files, but also helped to maintain a retro feel.

Many visual aspects were already carefully thought out by the game designers from the beginning, however there were still space for my imagination! The best moment was elaborating all the tiny little details of the ruined city, indicating, that something dreadful has happened there. As an architect of education I'm much more accustomed to creating than devastating. Thus creation of devastation for Stygian awoke dormant areas of my consciousness..."

It's great to have Elwira on board!

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Greetings fellow heretics!

It seems we have reached our funding goal! We'll see what the last week will bring but you should know one thing: We've achieved this together! Your support and enthusiasm always motivates us to do the best. Thank you!

Now, does this mean the updates will stop? Of course not! Let's continue with our portrait and concept artist Ege Bilgen and what he'd like to share about his work on Stygian:

A previous work of Ege Bilgen

"Greetings worshippers and fanatics!

Perhaps some of you have noticed that a magnificent twilight is upon us.

Yes, it is indeed the sign of our encroaching doom; a beautiful storm of sweet, all-encompassing sorrow. As the maddening end draws ever nearer, let me express dear fans and supporters, what an honour and pleasure it's been for me, your humble portrait artist Ege Bilgen, to have taken part in this dark journey thus far.

All of our portraits are hand drawn by pencil before being scanned for the digital coloring process

That's right, I have been... innocently requested, shall we say, to create character portraits for Stygian (There wasn't any form of dark ritual involved of course, let me assure you). Now you might inquire, how does one exactly proceed with such a task? What kind of process goes into capturing the tragedy of a burdened and afflicted soul?

Well, it all starts with an idea, a conceptual insight for a character. "An honorable yet beaten man, at the end of his ropes." the dark voices whisper. "A woman, proud and wise, yet she underestimates." Now the voices cackle gleefully. "This one's a naughty one. He's a natural. " The voices hang heavy in my mind.

I receive many such depictions. After a slight moment of feeling sorry for what the Old Ones might have in store for them, I immediately begin to imagine. I imagine these souls first at their best. I see a heroic nod of assuring stoicism, or a euphoric smile of untainted joy perhaps. Then...well, then I take it all away.

The innocence fades, their dreams vanish, and dwindling hopes of absolution become ash in agonizing cries. Now in my mind's eye I look at these characters again. I carefullly look to see what's left of them, and what precisely made them to go on. Sometimes the answer is quite reassuring, and sometimes... not so much. With a heavy heart then I try to make you witness as well, as far as my humble talents allow me to do so.

A strange and hopeless twilight of madness is upon the world of Stygian, and as the characters there somehow keep fighting on, I tried to imagine them staring right into it. Some of them endured many grave losses which cannot be easily compensated. Some of them found new strengths of frightening darkness and intensity. As the portrait artist of Stygian, I hope I was able to capture and reflect all of this adequately, and you will enjoy what I have created for you, dear supporters."

It's a privilege to have talented Mr. Bilgen on board

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:55 pm

In this update we'd like to share more information on the advantages and side effects of Mental Conditions in Stygian's challenging combat scenarios.

As we emphasized before, sometimes it helps to be mad in a world gone mad!

Mania

Increases Action Points but gives the character a small chance to lose control and attack the nearest enemy unit in combat.

Paranoia

Increases Reaction but gives the character a small chance to attack an ally in combat.

Schizophrenia

Increases Mental Resistance but gives the character a small chance to enter a catatonic state and lose a combat round.

Psychopathy

Increases Critical Chance but gives the character a small chance to lose a certain amount of Sanity after killing a foe.

Depression

Increases Supernatural Defense but gives the character a small chance to lose his Physical Defense bonus entirely for a turn.

Obsession

Slightly increases the success chance of a repeated combat action but gives the character a small chance to automatically repeat a failed combat action until getting a success or passing a High Difficulty Will check.

Please note that all these effects are subject to change and are still being tested.

Odin
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Odin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 am

Wow. Great stuff! Can't wait to play it!

Scrawled
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scrawled » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:17 am

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Your interest and support has been essential for our kickstarter campaign. Now that the campaign is successful, you'll be hearing a lot from us in the months to come.

It was and will be a pleasure.

You'll learn more on our thoughts concerning expansions in today's update!

Our Best Regards,