Best Monographs?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Bootlegger
Sophmore
Sophmore
Best Monographs?

Post by Bootlegger » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:58 am

Hi everyone -

I've been checking out the Chaosium sale items and am interested in some of the monographs.

If any of you are willing to give some recommendations, I'd appreciate hearing a few of your favorites and why you like them.

Thanks!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Best Monographs?

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:52 pm

I just bought Ravenar Sagas, Machine Tractor Station Kharkov-37 and Mysteries of Ireland.

Ravenar is a smart campaign, a great reason to delve into Cthulhu Dark Ages if you haven't already, and has scenarios with lots of underlying human drama and plenty of stabby bits.

MTSK37 is likewise an excellent scenario, meticulously researched, with factions and character dynamics that will allow your players to create the horror as much as the Mythos. Can't say enough to support this book.

Mysteries of Ireland gets good enough reviews that I'm moved to grab a copy, and the setting interests me for personal reasons.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by toddwo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Oooh! OOooh! Mysteries of Hungary! Not...
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:46 pm

I am so tempted to get Mysteries of Hungary just to see if it matches up with the bad reviews.
Plays for Keepers

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by toddwo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Well the price is right. The stars seem to be, too...
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Here are the ones that I have read, not all of the ones I have, mind you.

Ravenar Sagas: written by Oscar Rios. This piece covers three scenarios that tie a group of "Vikings" together over many years. It's blood and thunder style may mean high casualties. I especially like the first one of the three. This has echoes of old D&D to it at times.

End Times: this one had a long history towards creation. It's basically a dystopian setting in which Earth has been taken over by the Old Ones and a few thousand humans are hiding out in an asteroid field.

Spirits and Dreams of the Viking Age: more Vikings. This is several scenarios with one or two that have Odin showing up in human form. Some are well done and others are mediocre.

The Pastores: for Cthulhu Dark Ages. This one amps up the horror which I appreciate especially in the sexual realm. This one hits most of the time but a few of the ideas miss at times. It's a loosely connected campaign possibly.

Mysteries of Tibet (skimmed reading): this was upgraded several times. Written by Jason Williams. A good overview of an Asian setting with some intriguing ideas and scenarios. It was recently turned into an official sourcebook like Cthulhu Invictus and a few others.

MTSK 37 (Machine Tractor) (skimmed reading): this one always gets high marks. Russian Cold War setting amidst competing interests.

Dead Leaves Fall & Other Halloween Horrors: this is one of the better Halloween Monographs with scenarios written by Oscar Rios, Jon Hook, Simon Yee and Rick Hudson

Xmas in Kingsport: Brinkman's "Silent Night" and Oscar Rios' scenario make this worth the price of admission. Honorably mention to the "Gaudy" scenario. The rest are average IMO.

Halloween Horror 2005: this is the one that has "Halloween in Dunwich" which I have run several times. One or two are recorded. It's typically on sale for $8 or less.
Last edited by Shannon Mac on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Minor correction:

MTSK-37 is not a Cold War setting.

It's a 1930s Stalinist setting.

And it's a bloody great scenario and I highly recommend it.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:29 pm

My bad. I skimmed that one unlike some of the others. Thanks for the clarification.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:55 am

I got to play MTSK37 at Necromomoicon in 2013 with its author as Keeper. It was top notch!
Plays for Keepers

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:23 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:I got to play MTSK37 at Necromomoicon in 2013 with its author as Keeper. It was top notch!
Sick brag.