Whoa! Chaosium News.

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Re: Whoa! Chaosium News.

Post by trevlix » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Citysliker wrote:First - big one for me - both Kickstarters run by Chaosium where essentially re-prints with bits added on. Wonderful honest summation. And one which reinforces my simmering discontent with the situation. So the bulk of the work was already done and add some baubles and t-shirts and boom we are away. Why then we are 2 years in and nothing tangible has occured? According to MUP a few episodes back we should all stop moaning and wait patiently (I believe Mr Hook said he didn't care how long it took he was happy to wait). Good job the rest of the fan base wanted more solid answers sooner all we would all be in the ground before we ever saw 7th edition appear.
I found this particular point interesting (reprint vs new stuff). To a point on HotOE, I disagree. The word count between the previous and current editions are astronomically different. There is ALOT more material (I'm talking in-box game material, not any add-ons) in the new edition...almost enough that it could be considered a new product.

However, for a game/publishing company, who regularly ships out books and has a back history of shipping prices they can look at, this should not have been an issue.

But as you stated, the new management has asked for patience and they shall get it from me. :)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:26 am

Yeah, Sandy's point about the two products being reprints is obtuse given the massive overhaul that both projects got. These were not cut and paste operations. This was not the tiny tweaks of text we saw between 5th and 6th edition. Art, writing and even some of the game design for 7e were created or rethought from the ground up. In fact, launching both at the same time was folly, given the massive scale of the undertaking.

His point about those projects being something Chaosium should already know how to do, however, is fair. Chaosium makes books. There should not have been such paralyzing surprises. I think that was closer to his meaning.

For the record, I'm hoping listeners have detected a variety of views on whether or not frustration about these delays was warranted. There is no single MUP position on these things.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Citysliker
Junior
Junior

Post by Citysliker » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:06 am

PirateLawyer wrote:
Citysliker wrote:I hope for a bright and strong future and I will buy Sandy a beer at Necronomicon if I see him :D
Nice sentiment but if you buy Sandy a beer you'll have to drink it yourself. Sandy doesn't drink. ;)

Fair point! I shall buy him a strong cup of tea instead! :)

Citysliker
Junior
Junior

Post by Citysliker » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 am

I cannot comment on HotOE as I have (as yet) not got my copy to compare to the previous edition so I defer to you guys on that but I just thought Sandy's statement was interesting as if anything it does notch the pressure on the team up a little.

7th Edition however was surely more of a (not by any means finished) formed product prior to Kickstarter launch?

I know the MUP guys where play testing very early on.

And I take Dr Gerard's point. If everyone did agree all the time it would be a very boring podcast. Which it isn't!

Wheel Murph in on the next episode, that usually stirs things up! Followed by him recording a .wav - 'My name is Brian Murphy and I apologise' to be played repeatedly throughout the show :lol:

Paul Fricker
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Paul Fricker » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 am

It was certainly a very interesting interview, which went into far greater detail than I had expected it to.

This is indeed an interesting time (perhaps as in the phrase, 'may you live in…').
One of the Good Friends of Jackson Elias (a Call of Cthulhu podcast)

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Gladius wrote:Quite a bit of interesting info from Sandy here on YSDC:
http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/28763- ... ium/page-2
Dennis Detwiler has just posted in that thread with an interesting take on some of the current developments at Chaosium.

viscounteric
Freshman
Freshman

Post by viscounteric » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:32 am

And the big Chaosium blowout sale of all extraneous stuff just hit my inbox.

... As the prophecy foretold.
The log of the CoC games http://gamingwiththegnomies.blogspot.com/p/call-of.html... and some gnomes.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:56 am

viscounteric wrote:And the big Chaosium blowout sale of all extraneous stuff just hit my inbox.

I just grabbed the empty HotOE box and simulacrum paper model Chaosium was displaying at Gen Con!

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:07 am

viscounteric wrote:And the big Chaosium blowout sale of all extraneous stuff just hit my inbox.

I attempted to order a couple of French Sans-Detour books, but so far the price reduction won't take. :cry:

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:47 am

I don't see the price reduction on the monographs either yet.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/