Keepers: how do you choose a CoC system?

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
viscounteric
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Keepers: how do you choose a CoC system?

Post by viscounteric » Sun May 18, 2014 12:20 pm

flashbackjuice wrote:
Howard wrote:My books are all 5th edition or earlier. I'm also not a fan of the d6 Dark or GUMSHOE.
Just out of curiosity: what were the differences in 6th that put you off?
Not to put words in his mouth, but probably just the need to buy another edition. If I had 5th edition I wouldn't have a need for edition 6.1.2.6.1355*pi. And if a 6th edition product catches your eye, outside the revolving door of added/subtracted tertiary skills, there's not much more that's obviously different.

BRP all the way!
The log of the CoC games http://gamingwiththegnomies.blogspot.com/p/call-of.html... and some gnomes.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 am

flashbackjuice wrote:The problem is that it's not just a case of "X is better than Y", as each system brings something different to the table. Although I haven't had a chance to try out all the systems, I do recognise some of the strengths and weaknesses of each.
Flashbackjuice has already referenced the central idea of how I respond to this issue. I'm done looking for a single perfect horror game to rule them all. I'm also done looking for the one perfect type of cuisine in the world. Or the one perfect tool for building a house. Sometimes you need a 21-ounce framing hammer. Sometimes you need a cement mixer. Sometimes you need a miter box.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by flashbackjuice » Mon May 19, 2014 11:48 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:
flashbackjuice wrote:Sometimes you need a 21-ounce framing hammer. Sometimes you need a cement mixer. Sometimes you need a miter box.
And that is my problem. When is the right time to use that cement mixer? Right now, the way only I can think of using Cthulhu Dark, for example, is if I want to play a kind of game that players want to mainly focus on roleplaying, or when a location to play can be done almost spontaneously (no need to whip out character sheets and such). How can I recognise when would be the right to time to whip out X system? Otherwise, I may just stick to CoC 6th (the system I started with), and implement a little of each to bolster 6th's shortcomings for example.

Actually, I may give Cthulhu Dark a whirl this weekend, around a camp fire. Maybe once I try out these system and get a feel for them, I can better understand when to use them.

Thanks for your comments everyone! :D

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:26 am

I haven't tried Dark yet but i have ran Trail. IMO Trail is only fun if everyone is into full out role play. If you group is all about dice rolling then Trail is not the system to use. My group likes a lot of the system of Trail but they like dice too much.

On a side note D20 has always been a off putting thought for a CoC system to me. But i may get it now from Drivethru for the content, thank you for helping me spend more money. Ha Ha
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:21 am

For me most of the books or PDFs I have are 6th ed though thanks to collectoritis (or is that collector-mania) I have a 4th & 5th print edition of the core book. As much as I like the setting for Invictus or Dark Ages, I rarely see games for them online which is my main way of gaming now but with the lovely BRP system, it's easy to jump in any time period or these alternate settings without much beyond the main book. I have the main book & Shadows over Filmland for Trail & while I like it, I want to play through it more before getting books to run it as I love the system almost as much as BRP.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:40 am

Most of the changes from 5th to 6th are minor. For instance, in 5th you only raised a skill up when you impaled. In 6th it's different.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:13 am

For me, it's BRP Call of Cthulhu for planned sessions and Cthulhu Dark for short notice pick up games. Seems to work out nicely.

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 am

COC/BRP will always be my go to system. I've been reading Savage Worlds. It looks like it might be with a go.
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.