New Keeper/Old Player looking for help

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
charthulu
Freshman
Freshman
New Keeper/Old Player looking for help

Post by charthulu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 pm

I have played Call of Cthulhu 2006-2012 and love the game. I've also ran other games and one-shots periodically.
I just recently started running a Cthulhu game of my own and am brushing up on the differences between a player and a storyteller. I have a few questions I would love some answers on.
1) Some great scenarios for experiences gamers, but new CoC players.
2) How do you raise attributes or is there a way to do so? (I seem to remember there being a way to do so but can't find anything about it.)
3) A simple explanation on attacks vs dodge would be great, though I've mostly gotten it figured out.

Thank you in advance for answers.
Also: any other helpful suggestions would be fantastic.

Russacky
Freshman
Freshman
Re: New Keeper/Old Player looking for help

Post by Russacky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Hey, Charthulu! Welcome to the forums!

1) I'm fairly new to Cthulhu myself so no luck from me on the scenarios. I've only run one large one (Masks of Nyarlathotep) and because of time and movement of friends will probably not finish it.

2)Off the top of my head I think the only way to raise your attributes, by which I assume you mean INT, APP, POW etc., is via magic, whether it be spells or artefacts.

3)As far as I know when X person/thing attacks Y person/thing they can ask to dodge it and if successful they do if not they don't. I am working off of 6th edition so there could be some changes to the previous awesome tips that I'm unaware of.

A side note related to dodge: I had a character try to dodge something and critically fail at the roll. On the spot I said that while trying to dodge he slipped and actually propelled himself into the attack and it did double damage. He...he's dead...for now. MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If the guys and gals you play with are more accustomed to DnD or heroic type games it might be better to ease them into it with a couple of one-shots purely because they won't have the CoC mindset (see: caution). If they're still in beast mode they might never consider that running away is an option and then die which can be disheartening so early in a long scenario.

Anyway, I hope this small amount helps.
ystell'bsna grah'n hupadgh cthulhu ytharanak n'gha

Image by Alan Bao (not me) http://alanbao.tumblr.com/
IRC 4 LYF

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by flashbackjuice » Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 am

Howdy Charthulu!

1) To be honest, any scenario will suit your purposes. If your players have never played CoC but have played more combat games like DnD, then their first game is going to be a new experience. Players need a different mindset for CoC, and if players charge at that Shoggoth, they will die. That said, the scenarios in the 6th edition rule book has some great scenarios for you to try (And if you own the rulebook they are free!). Edge of Darkness or The Haunting are good games that introduce the basics, particularly in introducing the idea that research first is the way to go in this game. Make an emphasis on roleplaying and atmosphere, and the players will get into it. And if they die, have them roll up another character and join right in!

2) This has been covered in this podcast before. Check Episode 3 (at the 49:42 mark). Some of the leveling ideas mentioned there can be used or adapted to suit your needs.

3) Exactly as Russacky said. One addition: as long as you state your intention to dodge, you can dodge up to three times per round. However, every additional dodge goes down by a third of your Dodge skill. For example, you have a 99% Dodge (you beast!). Cultist 1 attacks, you must roll under 99. Cultist 2 attacks in the same round, you must roll under 66. Cultist 3 attacks in the same round, you must roll under 33. The next combat round your dodge is back at 99.

Hope that helps!

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri May 02, 2014 1:48 pm

flashbackjuice wrote:3) Exactly as Russacky said. One addition: as long as you state your intention to dodge, you can dodge up to three times per round. However, every additional dodge goes down by a third of your Dodge skill. For example, you have a 99% Dodge (you beast!). Cultist 1 attacks, you must roll under 99. Cultist 2 attacks in the same round, you must roll under 66. Cultist 3 attacks in the same round, you must roll under 33. The next combat round your dodge is back at 99.
Except for dodging firearms. You may only dodge against the first bullet fired at you. Unless you're Neo.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

flashbackjuice
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by flashbackjuice » Thu May 08, 2014 12:31 am

trevlix wrote: Except for dodging firearms. You may only dodge against the first bullet fired at you. Unless you're Neo.
Oh right! Never quite understood the firearm rule. Thanks for the clarification, trevlix!