word count ideas

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
word count ideas

Post by fox01313 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:27 pm

After helping out someone on Yog-Sothoth with getting their word file into a scenario style layout pdf & feeling that writing bug itch again after a flood of other ideas have been pooling together over the last couple months. I've been looking around online & not able to find a decent guideline out there to keep myself from getting too damn verbose. I've looked at some of the Chaosium & Goodman Games published scenarios I have to find that the scenarios in that 20-40 page range to be an ideal size to what I'm working on though looking online I've been having problems finding online information on silly things like word count. So does anyone have any information on this?

The scenario I'm writing is one of those that I'd like to get published eventually if it works though I'd really like to be able to cram it in something everyone is familiar with in terms of content to just make it easier for everyone running it, reading it or putting it in some compilation pdf of scenarios.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Re: word count ideas

Post by trevlix » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:14 pm

In my experience, word count is typically based on the project you are working on. You may be asked to keep it to 5000, or 10000 words, etc. Also, in my experience, you can count on about 500 words / page, but that depends on font, etc.

However, I would not worry about that now. Write what you want. You will go through an editing process from yourself, and in the event you get published, someone else. Your word count may change significantly due to that.

Would love to hear others' opinions.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/