ToC

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
lexicon
Freshman
Freshman
ToC

Post by lexicon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm an old CoC player (haven't played in years through) and I just picked up Trail of Cthulhu. I hope to GM the game soon. I got it because it looks a bit more modern and narrative than I'm use it and I'm up for a new challenge.
My question is...has anyone played ToC? Was it a good buy or should I have stuck with CoC 6th? :?
Judge for yourself its believably and then try to tell yourself, wherever you may be, it couldn't happen here.

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: ToC

Post by Gladius » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:53 pm

I think it's an interesting exercise in roleplaying, but for my group it didn't necessarily fit the bill. That said, I'd be willing to try it again. I think there are some good ideas in it, that I've stolen for my own CoC houserules.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:01 am

It's a perfectly good system. It just has a different approach to how the game runs. I've played it in the Skype of Cthulhu campaign called "Hellfire Club" if you want to give it a listen.
The only way to say if it was a good buy for you is for you to read the book, get comfortable with the system and run a few games. Or, find a game to play in. Our Tales of Mystery and Adventure section has lots of folks looking to play or run games. Start up a thread in there and see if someone experienced in ToC is willing to run a Skype game so you can learn it first hand.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

lexicon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by lexicon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 am

Thanks,

From what I've read I like it. Its not as crunchy as CoC.... I'll give it a spin!
Last edited by lexicon on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge for yourself its believably and then try to tell yourself, wherever you may be, it couldn't happen here.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 am

I'd put 6E on my "A" list and TOC on my "B" list which means I have played both systems.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 am

At the risk of sounding redundant, because I think I've said this on the show before -- I feel strongly that it's a good idea to sometimes play and run horror game systems other than Call of Cthulhu, because it sharpens the Keepering skills and brings new techniques and perspectives to light. ToC has some really great ideas baked into it, like Drives and the strong mechanic for unveiling evidence through the filter of a PC's perspective.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

lexicon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by lexicon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:42 am

I going to try and run Eternal Lies......opened an Obsidian Portal campaign and everything. :cthulhudance:

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:31 am

Cool! If you make the campaign public, shoot us a link!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 am

And if it gets recorded, I'll put it in the feed! We have lots of stuff on the way in the Live Play feed.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:02 am

"Eternal Lies" is supposed to be an awesome camp. I will be a player in that one next year.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/