Monsters taking turns unbeknownst to players

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Russacky
Freshman
Freshman
Monsters taking turns unbeknownst to players

Post by Russacky » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

This is gonna start with a bit of a story so.

My investigators had just come up against the frightful Mr. Corbitt and had decided to book it when a Shambler had shown up. I considered possibly having it so when they returned (with dynamite) that I would make Corbitt re-summon the Shambler and have it in a different section of the house. I eventually gave up on that purely because I couldn't conceptualize how to have them move freely about the house without saying "initiative time!".

Long story short. What are possible ways of getting around this problem? I just thought the best thing would just make it so it just rocks up around the corner and then "oh no!" or maybe do a secret listen roll to see if they could hear it coming towards them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

:cthulhudance:
ystell'bsna grah'n hupadgh cthulhu ytharanak n'gha

Image by Alan Bao (not me) http://alanbao.tumblr.com/
IRC 4 LYF

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Monsters taking turns unbeknownst to players

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Listen rolls are a good thing for this. Also, you can have other options given that this is a Dimensional Shambler. It can essentially teleport around, so if its orders were to just assault the investigators, then you can have it appear wherever you like. A listen or maybe a Pow roll can let the PCs tell where it just appeared. If it's listen, then there is some kind of sound from displaced air from the appearance. If it's a Pow roll, then it's more of a creepy feeling and not wanting to go into a specific area where it just appeared. I would make the Pow roll for this a Pow x3 to x5, depending on how hard you want it to be for them to sense it.
Another option is for some other kind of environmental effect to tell them something is wrong. The good old "cat in the trash can" trick is cliche for movies, but can work well in this context.
Remember that the Dim-Sham doesn't have to just be in the house. If its orders were to get the PCs, then it can follow them wherever they go. :twisted: :cthulhu1:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Russacky
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Monsters taking turns unbeknownst to players

Post by Russacky » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:If its orders were to get the PCs, then it can follow them wherever they go. :twisted: :cthulhu1:
Hahahaha! Good point. :science:
ystell'bsna grah'n hupadgh cthulhu ytharanak n'gha

Image by Alan Bao (not me) http://alanbao.tumblr.com/
IRC 4 LYF