Modern setting books for Call Of Cthulhu

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
cookiegerard
Freshman
Freshman
Modern setting books for Call Of Cthulhu

Post by cookiegerard » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi,

I am the keeper for a group of people who, myself included, are new to Call of Cthulhu. We decided as a group to have our games set in modern day Ireland, as the majority of the players hadn't read any of the H.P. Lovecraft stories, and in a way it makes it easier to work with what you know. I have the main rule book, Cthulhu by Gaslight and Mansions of Madness. This coming wednesday, I am running another game and I have converted one of the scenarios from Mansions of Madness to a modern day setting. From what I've seen from just looking around websites and such is that modern setting stuff is quite hard to come by.

Naturally, the game is much more focused on 1890's and 1920's, being as the stories are based around this times, but is there any books out there that offer modern day campaigns or scenarios? It is possible to convert some stories to modern day, and some much more easily than others. It is a lot easier to convert a haunted house story than it is to convert one about a cotton plantation.

So, if you know of any modern stories I could use, it would be a great help.

Thank you.
Games as Keeper: 2
Players killed: 1

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Modern setting books for Call Of Cthulhu

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Here are the main ones I can think of that would be useful to you.

Mid 1990's Handbook
Yeah, it's a little out of date, but it's not that hard to adapt by one decade than by 80+

Arkham Now
Arkham Now is a much more recent book that should be of use to you even if it's not in the right place geographically.

Cthulhu Britannica
These are 1920's, but can give you some good info for your part of the world and ideas you can adapt.

Delta Green
Delta Green is the biggest campaign setting that takes place in the modern era. It has strong US setting elements, but I bet it can be adapted for other locations without too much problem.

The Laundry
The Laundry Files is a series of books that combines Cthulhu with British Espionage & Bureaucracy. This has a strong humor element to it and is a lot more overt in its Mythos stuff, so it might not be what you're looking for. But it is set in the here and now.

Other folks here may have other ideas for you, but that can get you started.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

cookiegerard
Freshman
Freshman

Post by cookiegerard » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 am

Thank you for the book list, hopefully I will be able to find some of them in my local shop or online. I know once I am sure enough of myself, I am going to try and write up a game. I had an idea for a modern day version of Herbert West - Reanimator
Games as Keeper: 2
Players killed: 1

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 am

For now, I'd say your best bet for modern Cthulhu stuff is The Laundry series, just remember to file the serial numbers off. Personally I would still use Delta Green, just update it with todays tech and you're good to go.

Of course, there will be a new version of Delta Green coming as well, in the uncertain future.

However, one thing I would suggest is something like this to help with one of the big aspects of modern games. Stats for such don't vary too much. There used to be a good book for stats, but it's a bit too pricey these days, someone should make a new version of it.

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:43 pm

cookiegerard wrote:Thank you for the book list, hopefully I will be able to find some of them in my local shop or online. I know once I am sure enough of myself, I am going to try and write up a game. I had an idea for a modern day version of Herbert West - Reanimator
There is an excellent mini-campaign published in Delta Green: Countdown along these lines. My players had a phenomenal time playing through it. I highly recommend all the Delta Green books.

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:45 pm

TAK wrote:However, one thing I would suggest is something like this to help with one of the big aspects of modern games. Stats for such don't vary too much. There used to be a good book for stats, but it's a bit too pricey these days, someone should make a new version of it.
The Investigator Weapons series is about to come out with a comprehensive modern gun book with BRP stats included, I believe.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 pm

I have the 1920s weapons book, and it's awesome. I'm looking forward to any other books in that series.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 am

And of course The Modern Equipment Catalog is for BRP and thus 100% compatible with CoC. And since it was released 2009, it should be fairly up to date.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:32 am

Some scenarios depending on how they are written could be put in for modern day, you just have to adjust for it. Though agreed that most of Delta Green from the sound of it is close to modern day, also don't be afraid of going with the 20-30 year difference of tech for some smaller towns out in the middle of nowhere then you can look at some of the Atomic Age Cthulhu too.

Also there's The Stars are Left! from Chaosium too
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_inf ... cts_id=602

As heard on other podcasts, if you do something in the modern day be sure to play with the characters so when they want to find out how more information with better phones & computers but you can either remove the signal/battery power or follow the more fun X-files themed idea to just flood them with false/misleading information on what's online versus what they can find at the local library.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

DavFlamerock
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DavFlamerock » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:38 am

I'm also very interested in writing modern-day Cthulhu (as I find the more relatable I can make it the more unsettling I can make it), but I've read fairly negative reviews of Arkham Now universally—does anyone here have experience with the book? Is it as bad as I was reading on BGG & YSDC?

Also, I get the impression that non-Delta Green Cthulhu Modern is somewhat niche, yet I keep finding archived or advertised games in that setting (usually at cons, though the Devil's Cave Live Play was one). Is it more prevalent than I thought, and just more homebrew than the other settings (which get more books)? And if it is more prevalent than the few books it has would lead you to believe... why isn't there much being published for Cthulhu Modern? Is Delta Green just dominating that setting niche?