Modern setting books for Call Of Cthulhu

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Modern setting books for Call Of Cthulhu

Post by fox01313 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:36 am

From the podcasts on Unspeakable Oath, seems like with Delta Green they have enough of good support there to keep it going. It seems rather popular as it does fall in that area really needed in both RPG tabletop games (as well as other kinds of games/media) captured so well with the show the X-files. The DG organization makes it nice to help let everyone know where the players all fit in plus how just having some newer technology is probably not going to help. Keep looking around at other sites as I've seen a variety of reviews for some of the sourcebooks, some good some not so good depending on who wrote them. Not sure with the sourcebooks going to Japan, New York City & the others on what time periods those are set in but they might have some too. I think that DG also might popular just due to it being modern day & easier for people to get into that timeframe versus the classic era.

Strange Aeons II also has one modern scenario put in the time of Woodstock 1960s, also could look to see if there's anything in the Atomic Age Cthulhu books that you could either run or read & do a sequel/revisit too with a more modern group.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 pm

DavFlamerock wrote:I'm also very interested in writing modern-day Cthulhu (as I find the more relatable I can make it the more unsettling I can make it), but I've read fairly negative reviews of Arkham Now universally—does anyone here have experience with the book? Is it as bad as I was reading on BGG & YSDC?

Also, I get the impression that non-Delta Green Cthulhu Modern is somewhat niche, yet I keep finding archived or advertised games in that setting (usually at cons, though the Devil's Cave Live Play was one). Is it more prevalent than I thought, and just more homebrew than the other settings (which get more books)? And if it is more prevalent than the few books it has would lead you to believe... why isn't there much being published for Cthulhu Modern? Is Delta Green just dominating that setting niche?
I have not read Arkham Now, so I can't answer your question on that. However, I think that most people write/run games in the classic period (1920s) because thats the period Lovecraft wrote in and the default period the game is based in. That being said, the majority of the scenarios I write are set in modern times (aka Devils Cave) because thats what I know best. Plus, I think the isolation you can push PCs into with modern games adds an extra level of horror.

Interestingly, I believe Sandy Peterson has been quoted as saying he prefers to write games in the modern time period, as opposed to classic.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 pm

fox01313 wrote:I think that DG also might popular just due to it being modern day & easier for people to get into that timeframe versus the classic era.
I'd argue DG's enduring popularity is mostly because of its first-rate writing, which is backed up with impeccable research to infuse the modern era with Mythos-y goodness whilst hitting on many great modern tropes - conspiracy, UFOs, alienation - along with the aforementioned fewer hurdles to immersion into the game world. It's a lot easier for me, as Keeper, to say to my players "your target jumps into a late-model sedan and speeds off down the alley" than to do a bunch of research to describe a similar scene in 1920 (because I know my players will throw a lot of questions my way which I need to have answers for).

Lastly, it does a phenomenal job of creating a narrative framework to support ongoing campaigns.

DavFlamerock
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DavFlamerock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 am

PirateLawyer wrote:I'd argue DG's enduring popularity is mostly because of its first-rate writing, which is backed up with impeccable research to infuse the modern era with Mythos-y goodness whilst hitting on many great modern tropes - conspiracy, UFOs, alienation - along with the aforementioned fewer hurdles to immersion into the game world. It's a lot easier for me, as Keeper, to say to my players "your target jumps into a late-model sedan and speeds off down the alley" than to do a bunch of research to describe a similar scene in 1920 (because I know my players will throw a lot of questions my way which I need to have answers for).
I definitely agree about the ease for immersion--that's more or less why I'm writing modern rather than classic. I was just wondering why it has so many fewer apparent publications than classic does. Is it just because you don't need as many reference materials?

And for DG, while I can understand the appeal (and it's certainly well-written), I prefer not to have government shadow organizations & conspiracies in my cosmic horror. But I've only read a little DG, and I was also wondering if it's becoming dated at all by being from the '90s? At what point does DG stop being 'modern'?

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:24 am

DavFlamerock wrote:And for DG, while I can understand the appeal (and it's certainly well-written), I prefer not to have government shadow organizations & conspiracies in my cosmic horror. But I've only read a little DG, and I was also wondering if it's becoming dated at all by being from the '90s? At what point does DG stop being 'modern'?
DG is getting a new book next summer that updates its game-world to 2014 and beyond. I run a DG campaign that's had games set as far back as 1930 and games set in 2013. I don't feel DG is dated at all, but as a Keeper you have to make adjustments as you move around in time, as much as you have to do research as you move the game setting around geographically.

Personally I am of the opinion that the tropes of the '90s and cosmic horror go together like peanut butter and chocolate, but to each their own. I think the beauty of the DG books is that you can use as much or as little of the material as you want. You can always downplay the government conspiracy angle if you like and still make good use of a lot of other great stuff in the books.