First-Time Keeper

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
jovial1
Freshman
Freshman
First-Time Keeper

Post by jovial1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:40 am

Hey, folks!

I'm going to be Keeping for some friends this weekend. They're avid gamers, and not stuck in the D&D/Pathfinder rut. (One of them is running a Deadlands game my wife and I are playing in).

I'm looking for a good one-off scenario to cover character introductions, etc. I'd bought Masks of Nyarlahotep after seeing how highly recommended it was, but I'm wondering if that would be too much to bite off for my first game. (I was toying with the idea of seeding it, though, in case the game is a success.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, mythos-flavored scenario?

Also, any advice Keepers feel like imparting won't go amiss. Especially in regard to keeping a mood. I want to bring the horror out.

Thanks for your time!

Jason

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: First-Time Keeper

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:58 am

Hey Jason,

I suck at listing out scenarios, the other guys are better at that. But so far as mood goes, play at night with the lights dimmed. You could get some mood music going, that kind of thing depends on the scenario, but music always helps. And finally have your props ready man! Handouts are a key part to this game when you play in person.

My theory on teaching DnD'ers about CoC really quick is to just let them do their thing. Let them run right into an encounter that you work up ahead of time versus a single mythos beast. Then hold no punches and seriously jack up your group. Once they escape, or die, explain that was one of the least powerful things around, I usually have an old NPC do this, and have him tell them they are lucky to have lived. Then start your scenario in earnest. It can go one of two ways, they will get the picture and tread lightly, or they won't. If they do not, you are not out options just yet. Just go listen to our Live Play of No Man's Land. The player body count on that game was higher than most fantasy RPGs I know of.

Just my two cents. this is a pretty helpful community, so prepare to be flooded with suggestions.

(now that I said this, you guys better not make me look like an ass! :? )

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 am

Edge of Darkness is always great, as is The Haunting, but if you want something a little different, try Mr. Corbitt, from the Mansions of Madness book. It starts at a dinner party, so assumes all of the characters either know each other, or can be introduced in a natural way.

If you want to segue into Masks, try having Jackson Elias as an NPC (hosting the party, perhaps?). I ran a mini-campaign leading up to MoN that established Jackson as someone the player characters actually cared about, so after the prologue of Masks had played out they really felt compelled to continue, rather than just being told that's how they felt.

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 am

Nvision wrote:Edge of Darkness is always great, as is The Haunting, but if you want something a little different, try Mr. Corbitt, from the Mansions of Madness book. It starts at a dinner party, so assumes all of the characters either know each other, or can be introduced in a natural way.

If you want to segue into Masks, try having Jackson Elias as an NPC (hosting the party, perhaps?). I ran a mini-campaign leading up to MoN that established Jackson as someone the player characters actually cared about, so after the prologue of Masks had played out they really felt compelled to continue, rather than just being told that's how they felt.
That sounds like a really neat idea, having Elias as a present NPC, say before his last trip to Africa. I'll definitely think on it at work today.

I'm not concerned about my players trying to D&D it up too badly... I know one of them is a fan of weird horror. I just want to give them the best intro to the game that I can. I may give Mansions of Madness a look tonight.

The MU podcast has been a great source of ideas, though. From the bestiary to the notion of books with mis-translations and missing pages, I'm eager to try my hand at running the game. Thanks for all the help!

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm

If you want to consider something more modern, Denis Detwiler has some great free pdf scenarios floating around on the intrawebs. P/X Poker Night is an excellent introduction to the world of Delta Green, which any Keeper should own, because it's so very awesome.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 pm

PirateLawyer wrote:If you want to consider something more modern, Denis Detwiler has some great free pdf scenarios floating around on the intrawebs. P/X Poker Night is an excellent introduction to the world of Delta Green, which any Keeper should own, because it's so very awesome.
Completely agree with you here!

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm going a little back and forth between using a couple of the scenarios in the core rulebook. I'm thinking of either The Haunting, or Dead Man Stomp.

The Haunting has a bunch of the classic touches I think of when I consider Lovecraft's stories - a dead sorcerer, someone driven mad, and a mythos tome. I guess one of my concerns is that the investigators might not think about how to follow the investigative trail. Though I guess a bit more preparation will deal with that.

On the other hand, Dead Man Stomp has a character with great motivations. And witnessing the events at the very beginning of that scenario kinda leads me to believe that the investigators would be compelled to follow it up.

We haven't created characters yet. Another thing that's on my mind is how to introduce the investigators to one another. Dead Man Stomp starts in a social situation, with the investigators at a ballroom/speakeasy. But if the characters don't have ties already, I'm trying to figure out why they'd all investigate a haunted house together. I'm debating whether to request that they make all of their characters start while already knowing each other.

How do other keepers handle characters' first introduction to one another?

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Those things you point out are what makes me really like Edge of Darkness.
The PCs don't have to know each other as they're called together by the guy they all know. During character creation, just have a stipulation that each player determine how they know this one guys. Tell them what he's done in his life, and let them make up the rest. Feel free to change the details they give you for Merriwether in the book. Are none of your PCs academics, then make him another profession that fits better with who they are. He can still have the same childhood history that's in the adventure.
This scenario also has many of the classic elements. A haunted house (that you can change to suit your own desires), a ritual, old books, and some physical combat opportunities for the characters that fit that mold. :cthulhu1:
As far as this goes... This is exactly why I created the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society. On character creation, just tell the players that characters are to be members (or at least interested in becoming members). I ask them to explain what appeals about the group to their investigator. I have NPCs from adventures be existing members or connections to members. Instant plot-hooks.

I'm working on a downloadable pack to offer for Keepers with all kinds of details about the group, but it's slow going. I'm finding that my writing enthusiasm isn't as strong as my audio and graphics enthusiasm. I can spend days at a time editing an episode of MUP to my liking, but the thought of sitting down to write up the MAPS history in detail is daunting. That's why I'm doing the mapping for the improv 6-Word Adventure.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 am

Keeper Dan wrote:Those things you point out are what makes me really like Edge of Darkness.
The PCs don't have to know each other as they're called together by the guy they all know. During character creation, just have a stipulation that each player determine how they know this one guys. Tell them what he's done in his life, and let them make up the rest. Feel free to change the details they give you for Merriwether in the book. Are none of your PCs academics, then make him another profession that fits better with who they are. He can still have the same childhood history that's in the adventure.
This scenario also has many of the classic elements. A haunted house (that you can change to suit your own desires), a ritual, old books, and some physical combat opportunities for the characters that fit that mold. :cthulhu1:
And now I've got three scenarios I'm waffling between ;) You make some really good points, putting Edge of Darkness back on the list. I just printed the handouts in case I wind up going with that one. As per an earlier suggestion, I'm going to run Jackson Elias from Masks in whatever scenario as an NPC as per an earlier suggestion, in case this does turn into a campaign.
Keeper Dan wrote:
As far as this goes... This is exactly why I created the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society. On character creation, just tell the players that characters are to be members (or at least interested in becoming members). I ask them to explain what appeals about the group to their investigator. I have NPCs from adventures be existing members or connections to members. Instant plot-hooks.

I'm working on a downloadable pack to offer for Keepers with all kinds of details about the group, but it's slow going. I'm finding that my writing enthusiasm isn't as strong as my audio and graphics enthusiasm. I can spend days at a time editing an episode of MUP to my liking, but the thought of sitting down to write up the MAPS history in detail is daunting. That's why I'm doing the mapping for the improv 6-Word Adventure.
I like the idea of the Miskatonic Paranormal Society. I wasn't planning on launching my campaign in Arkham - especially since I was thinking of running Masks of Nyarlathotep. But that might be something for me to reconsider. I figure for Edge of Darkness, the characters have come to Arkham to see Merriwether, bu if the characters really take to the town, I'll have to see about picking up the sourcebook. (Honestly, I've been wanting just an excuse to buy the Miskatonic U. book too.) So the Paranormal Society may show up as we go, after all.

We'll probably be getting together sometime between 1-3pm, and we've got character creation to go through first. I'll try to post back tomorrow to let everyone know how it goes.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 am

Remember, you can create an organization in whatever location you want. If you'd rather have them New York based, then make a group there. It's just a resource for making it easier to have characters together with a reason to go poking around old houses.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast