Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Wordcraftian » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 pm

I think the forum is blossoming quite nicely. Welcome to all! :science:

Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Zombieneighbours » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi guys

I'm ben.

I've been Roleplaying for some twentyish years.

Mythos based gaming is my primary roleplaying interest, though I do love horror gaming in general and can enjoy any kind of game. I am currently running a "Tatters of the King", published by Chaosium, with some expansion.

Outside of gaming, I have a range of interests including ethology/psychology, literature, film and music.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Zombieneighbours wrote:Hi guys

I'm ben.

Mythos based gaming is my primary roleplaying interest, though I do love horror gaming in general and can enjoy any kind of game. I am currently running a "Tatters of the King", published by Chaosium, with some expansion.

Outside of gaming, I have a range of interests including ethology/psychology, literature, film and music.
Welcome, Ben. Great to have another veteran aboard!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Zombieneighbours wrote:Hi guys

I'm ben.

Yes, welcome Ben. Here, have a Cthulhu... :fhtagn:

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:42 pm

I gotta say, it is so great to see such great activity on the forums. We love talking about Lovecraft literature and Cthulhu gaming, so if you have a topic you want to discuss, then by all means, please open a dialogue. I'm sure we'd all love to dig into it as well.

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi all.

I just realized that I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Ed and I started role playing in the early 80's with D&D and then branched out to a variety of other games. I was stoked to hear that Dr. Gerard also played V&V back in the day as that ended up being the game my group played the most. We tried one horror themed game back then, Chill, and it didn't work out so well; TPK in something like 30 minutes. I suspect my group had taken a D&D mindset into the game and paid the price. We never picked it up again. Then like a lot of the old timers on this forum, life showed up and gaming dropped off. 20 years later and I'm now dipping my toes back into gaming. My main interest now in RPG is in horror games. For my money they have the most creative and intelligent games and gamers in the industry. MU-Podcast has helped me considerably as I get back into this hobby. So thanks and Go Pods!

~Ed
Not a hack!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 pm

EddyPo wrote:Hi all.

I just realized that I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Ed and I started role playing in the early 80's with D&D and then branched out to a variety of other games. I was stoked to hear that Dr. Gerard also played V&V back in the day as that ended up being the game my group played the most. We tried one horror themed game back then, Chill, and it didn't work out so well; TPK in something like 30 minutes. I suspect my group had taken a D&D mindset into the game and paid the price. We never picked it up again. Then like a lot of the old timers on this forum, life showed up and gaming dropped off. 20 years later and I'm now dipping my toes back into gaming. My main interest now in RPG is in horror games. For my money they have the most creative and intelligent games and gamers in the industry. MU-Podcast has helped me considerably as I get back into this hobby. So thanks and Go Pods! ~Ed
Hello Ed!

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to gaming!

Yup, our gaming pedigree has plenty of parallels. V&V was totally great fun, though it seems like such a crunchy system to me now. Do you remember the algebraic formula for falling damage? Jeez. The great hook of that game was that you based your superhero’s secret identity and origin story on yourself. For a bunch of jr. high comic book fans like my group, that hook was pretty much like meth. But as you can imagine, we had some heated table talk about whose INT should be higher…

We played one session of Chill as well. I barely remember the system now. I’d love hear (or participate in) an actual play of that game.

And I feel the same way after returning to gaming – pretty much focused on horror and investigation games. Seems to fit my 40+ mindset and tastes. Makes me wonder how many others of our approximate generation have similar stories.

Anyway, welcome again and I’ll be lurking on your ToC game over in Tales of Mystery. Looking forward to seeing how that plays out!

-Dr. Gerard
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

EddyPo wrote:Hi all.

I just realized that I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Ed and I started role playing in the early 80's with D&D and then branched out to a variety of other games. I was stoked to hear that Dr. Gerard also played V&V back in the day as that ended up being the game my group played the most. We tried one horror themed game back then, Chill, and it didn't work out so well; TPK in something like 30 minutes. I suspect my group had taken a D&D mindset into the game and paid the price. We never picked it up again. Then like a lot of the old timers on this forum, life showed up and gaming dropped off. 20 years later and I'm now dipping my toes back into gaming. My main interest now in RPG is in horror games. For my money they have the most creative and intelligent games and gamers in the industry. MU-Podcast has helped me considerably as I get back into this hobby. So thanks and Go Pods!

~Ed
Hi Ed!

Yeah, I played V&V as well. I especially loved that the first modules for that system featured the Destroyers from Bill Willingham's Elementals comic book. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Welcome back to RPGs, and especially welcome to Call of Cthulhu. My brother and I also tried to play Chill, but if memory serves, the mechanics were very clunky.

vladsee
Freshman
Freshman

Post by vladsee » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

Hi all,

My name is Vlad and I'm from Manila, Philippines. My gaming experience started in the mid 80s with AD&D and Basic D&D along with PC gaming. Soon, college and work took over, my original gaming friends also moved on to other things and the interest for RPGs was shelved while I really got into PC gaming. It wasn't until the mid 2000s when reminiscing about the past that I decided to go back into RPGs. Now, PC gaming has taken the backseat (the hard disk crash certainly didn't help) and I'm enjoying the tabletop gaming hobby much much more after I hooked up with new gaming friends and now have the disposable income to buy the books and games that I never could afford in the 80s.

I've heard of CoC before but never really played it back then. D&D was THE game for me. I only recently got into Call of Cthulhu when I ran "The Haunting" and "The Edge of Darkness" for my friends. I realy like the intuitiveness and simplicity of the system itself. We had fun both times especially in the latter game where I had better grasp of the rules and things were moving faster (resulting in 1 player death but a success in banishing the creature for the other 2 players!). I'm now preparing to run Death in Luxor (from Goodman Games) for the same guys who played "The Edge of Darkness". Thanks to your podcast as well as YSDC and the HP Literary Podcast, I've come to have a better appreciation for CoC RPG. Today, CoC has replaced D&D as my favorite RPG (although I will always have a soft spot for D&D).

Thats my short gaming life story. I hope to have some good discussions with you guys soon! :cthulhudance:

Vlad

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:44 pm

vladsee wrote:Hi all,

My name is Vlad and I'm from Manila, Philippines. My gaming experience started in the mid 80s with AD&D and Basic D&D along with PC gaming. Soon, college and work took over, my original gaming friends also moved on to other things and the interest for RPGs was shelved while I really got into PC gaming. It wasn't until the mid 2000s when reminiscing about the past that I decided to go back into RPGs. Now, PC gaming has taken the backseat (the hard disk crash certainly didn't help) and I'm enjoying the tabletop gaming hobby much much more after I hooked up with new gaming friends and now have the disposable income to buy the books and games that I never could afford in the 80s.

I've heard of CoC before but never really played it back then. D&D was THE game for me. I only recently got into Call of Cthulhu when I ran "The Haunting" and "The Edge of Darkness" for my friends. I realy like the intuitiveness and simplicity of the system itself. We had fun both times especially in the latter game where I had better grasp of the rules and things were moving faster (resulting in 1 player death but a success in banishing the creature for the other 2 players!). I'm now preparing to run Death in Luxor (from Goodman Games) for the same guys who played "The Edge of Darkness". Thanks to your podcast as well as YSDC and the HP Literary Podcast, I've come to have a better appreciation for CoC RPG. Today, CoC has replaced D&D as my favorite RPG (although I will always have a soft spot for D&D).

Thats my short gaming life story. I hope to have some good discussions with you guys soon! :cthulhudance:

Vlad
Welcome, Vlad! Great to have another 80s-gamer on board. I'm noticing a trend here: played in the 80s when D&D was hot, then took a long break in the 90s and came back to it (maybe at first out of nostalgia) more recently. I really think there are lots of us with a similar story out there. Like a big cosmic "Oh yeah! RPGs are fun!" rippling through our generation.

And isn't playing as an adult so different and great?!

Anyway, glad to have you on board. Hope to see you posting thoughts, feedback, or maybe joining a play-by-post game soon...
Plays for Keepers