Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm

vladsee wrote:Hi all,

My name is Vlad and I'm from Manila, Philippines. My gaming experience started in the mid 80s with AD&D and Basic D&D along with PC gaming. Soon, college and work took over, my original gaming friends also moved on to other things and the interest for RPGs was shelved while I really got into PC gaming. It wasn't until the mid 2000s when reminiscing about the past that I decided to go back into RPGs. Now, PC gaming has taken the backseat (the hard disk crash certainly didn't help) and I'm enjoying the tabletop gaming hobby much much more after I hooked up with new gaming friends and now have the disposable income to buy the books and games that I never could afford in the 80s.

I've heard of CoC before but never really played it back then. D&D was THE game for me. I only recently got into Call of Cthulhu when I ran "The Haunting" and "The Edge of Darkness" for my friends. I realy like the intuitiveness and simplicity of the system itself. We had fun both times especially in the latter game where I had better grasp of the rules and things were moving faster (resulting in 1 player death but a success in banishing the creature for the other 2 players!). I'm now preparing to run Death in Luxor (from Goodman Games) for the same guys who played "The Edge of Darkness". Thanks to your podcast as well as YSDC and the HP Literary Podcast, I've come to have a better appreciation for CoC RPG. Today, CoC has replaced D&D as my favorite RPG (although I will always have a soft spot for D&D).

Thats my short gaming life story. I hope to have some good discussions with you guys soon! :cthulhudance:

Vlad
Welcome Vlad! I'm glad you found CoC to be so intuitive. That has always been one of the strong suits for me. The primary reason why I have stuck with it for so long. I hope you guys enjoy Death in Luxor! If you do, please check out the other adventures in that line. My opinion is 100% biased, but I think the early adventures, (the first three), were decent... they were just okay... but with the fourth one, and onward from there, I think they get very strong and lots of thrilling fun and suspense and horror. Enjoy!

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Welcome to the forum and the game, Vlad!
Helping folks get a handle on Call of Cthulhu and increasing the numbers of gamers willing to at least give it a shot is what we're all about. Any time there are questions, just ask away!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

vladsee
Freshman
Freshman

Post by vladsee » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks for the warm greetings!

Here's my first noob question. When a skill check is needed and it says something like EDU X 3. Is the EDU score multiplied by 3 (making it easier to succeed) or is the roll multiplied by 3 (making it hard to succeed)? Are there any other ways of modifying a skill check?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 am

vladsee wrote:Thanks for the warm greetings!

Here's my first noob question. When a skill check is needed and it says something like EDU X 3. Is the EDU score multiplied by 3 (making it easier to succeed) or is the roll multiplied by 3 (making it hard to succeed)? Are there any other ways of modifying a skill check?
Good question. It is the attribute value that is multiplied, and then you roll to make that modified value or less. So if you need to roll EDU x3, and you have an EDU of 15, means you need to roll a 45% or less.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 am

vladsee wrote:Thanks for the warm greetings!

Good question -- it means you multiply your EDU by three to arrive at a target for the roll. So in this case, a character with an EDU of 10 would have to roll equal to or under 30 on percentile dice. Thus, it's harder to succeed against an EDU x 3 than against an EDU x 5. For stat-based rolls, x 5 is usually the standard.

As the Keeper, you can always move the target around or add bonuses or penalties as you see fit. Flexibility is a big strength of this game, and percentiles are pretty intuitive to work with. I tend to add or subtract 10 for mild advantages or disadvantages. Like a -10 to a Drive roll (target) for snowy conditions, or +10 to a Persuade roll if the NPC target is a friend. I think Jon pulled a couple of those during the Ilsley AP.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 am

Hah, Jon said it in fewer words. So Jon wins.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Wireless
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Wireless » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Yo. I found this whole site just now while searching for resources for CoC - I'm planning on running a game in time for Hallowe'en. I've been into rpgs for a while now, and into Lovecraft for longer than that, but this is the first time I've attempted to combine the two. As I understand it, my goal as a Keeper is to be as horrifically cruel to my players as is humanly possible so it should be fun.

Outside of gaming, I'm British, a film student, and (I like to think) a bit of a history buff.

Compared to everyone else in this thread, I also seem to be a man of few words.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Wireless wrote:Yo. I found this whole site just now while searching for resources for CoC - I'm planning on running a game in time for Hallowe'en. I've been into rpgs for a while now, and into Lovecraft for longer than that, but this is the first time I've attempted to combine the two. As I understand it, my goal as a Keeper is to be as horrifically cruel to my players as is humanly possible so it should be fun.

Outside of gaming, I'm British, a film student, and (I like to think) a bit of a history buff.

Compared to everyone else in this thread, I also seem to be a man of few words.
Welcome Wireless! I'd love to hear how your game goes. Are you designing your own scenario, or running a published adventure?

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Welcome!
This is the perfect time of year to introduce friends to Call of Cthulhu.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

1d4cast_James
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by 1d4cast_James » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is James. Like most, I am an avid gamer with many years under my belt, but I am very new the whole Call of Cthulhu thing. The only Cthulhu-based game that I have every played was Trail of Cthulhu and that was at this past GenCon. I found this podcast through other podcast. I've always had an interest in horror and dark fantasy, mostly sticking to the Classic and New World of Darkness stuff. I have recently picked up Dread and Don't Rest Your Head. I grew up playing mostly traditional style games, but I have recently opened myself up to the narrative side of gaming. I look very much forward to get a copy of the game, but I might just wait for 7th edition to be finished next year before I start.

I just finished the Dream Lands episode and I have to say that the topic grabbed much of my interest. I had no idea about that other world.

Keep up the good work guys! I'll poke my head into this forum from time to time.
Founder and Co-Host of the 1d4Cast Podcast and 1d4Con.