Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Hey bpainevtusa, glad to see you here! Honestly, if you want to play now grab a used version 6 or 5.5. There are plenty of those around. The system prior to v7 never really changed much. All that being said, I think you should get v7 whenever you get the chance, since all the new stuff will use that moving forward. let us know if you have any other questions!

Keeper Murph

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:54 pm

bpainevtusa wrote:Hello all,
A friend in high school turned me on to HP Lovecraft in high school. We were overjoyed when we found out that someone was producing a game based on his writings. Up to that point, we had to add monsters and horrifying darkness into our D&D games. Over the years, much of my game stuff disappeared. Now my daughter wants to play and (I'm thinking) she'll really like CofC. I've asked a friend to look at his FLGS for a used copy - especially the old HC 3rd edition - I really liked that set. However, I'm wondering what the community thinks. Should I go ahead and get the 7th edition PDF and book, or should I try to find copies of older versions? What think you?
Thanks & Go 'Pods!
-Bill

Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; Ex Luce Ad Tenebras
Hi Bill! Grab youself a copy of the free quickstart rules and just try them out. Honestly, I feel like I could run a whole campaign using just the quickstart set. Best to keep it simple for new players anyway!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:Hi Bill! Grab youself a copy of the free quickstart rules and just try them out. Honestly, I feel like I could run a whole campaign using just the quickstart set. Best to keep it simple for new players anyway!

Oh that's a good idea that. I second the imminent Dr. Gerard's idea!

bpainevtusa
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bpainevtusa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:40 pm

I did find a 6th Ed book on Amazon at a good price, but the QuickStart rules look enticing - and free. Thanks, all!

Go 'Pods!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:57 pm

bpainevtusa wrote:I did find a 6th Ed book on Amazon at a good price, but the QuickStart rules look enticing - and free. Thanks, all!
Sounds great! From the 7e quickstart, I recommend adding Push to any previous edition. It's just a brilliant rule, and easy to add to your game on the fly.

Plays for Keepers

Mahaffa
Junior
Junior

Post by Mahaffa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:35 am

Yeah and make sure to pickup the free solo adventure, "alone against the flames". It will give you a trial by fire.......
Couldn't help it. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpainevtusa
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bpainevtusa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:46 pm

Mahaffa wrote:Yeah and make sure to pickup the free solo adventure, "alone against the flames". It will give you a trial by fire.......
Couldn't help it. ;-)

Incidentally, how did you add this forum to Tapatalk? Just downloaded Tapatalk and I can't seem to figure out how to add it to the app. Curious -Bill

Go 'Pods!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:05 pm

bpainevtusa wrote:
Mahaffa wrote:Yeah and make sure to pickup the free solo adventure, "alone against the flames". It will give you a trial by fire.......
Couldn't help it. ;-)

Incidentally, how did you add this forum to Tapatalk? Just downloaded Tapatalk and I can't seem to figure out how to add it to the app. Curious -Bill
Ok, just tried this. First, go to your "home" page on Tapatalk, and select the binoculars icon at the bottom of the screen. Then, select the spyglass in the upper right, type in "miskatonic" and then "go" in the lower right corner of your keyboard. That should bring up our forum in the results. Click on that and add. Let me know if that doesn't get you all the way there. Tapatalk has redesigned things a couple of times since I joined.

Plays for Keepers

bpainevtusa
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bpainevtusa » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Thank you so much! It worked! I just had to find the right sub forum.

In other news, I just received my 6th edition book and I'm re-familiarizing myself with CofC. I'm also re-reading some of the canonical texts and listening to the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast and The Lovecraft Geek. I'm well on my way to getting started. Thank you all!

Go 'Pods!

Mahaffa
Junior
Junior

Post by Mahaffa » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 am

Sorry for not seeing this until just now! Thanks to the Dr. for stepping in :-)