Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:41 am

Hey Aaron glad you enjoy the show! And I think that pulling a Murph can always liven up an already wonderful game.

Sent from my Rezound on TRON using Tapatalk 4

Aaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 am

Yeah, one of them threw a bag with dynamite in it into a burning puddle of oil that was between them and the only door out of a barn because of zombies. I had thought he would just run away. This was a character, by the by, named Child Like Thomas, a she-male drifter with a Credit Rating of 75%. I let him make it to an underground cellar and survive the blast just so when he/she wakes up from the concussion induced coma, I can give them a really crazy phobia that they picked up from the Dreamlands.

It was awesome.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:03 am

Lol that sounds like a hell of a fun game!

Sent from my Rezound on TRON using Tapatalk 4

Aaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:14 am

Yeah, we all basically like playing characters like the anarchist you played in The Inheritor. Listening to the hospital scene and the train scene from The Isley Variant was the most useful preperation for playing CoC with my friends. Doing crazy ass stuff just to see the results is our core mechanic. In our former D and D table I had a tiefling bard who had been polymorphed into a bullywog. My diplomacy was so high I once rolled a natural 20 with a demon boss we were supposed to fight and, since I spoke it's language, convinced it to become my drinking buddy.

We really ephasis the "play" part of role playing games.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:21 am

Aaron wrote:Yeah, we all basically like playing characters like the anarchist you played in The Inheritor. Listening to the hospital scene and the train scene from The Isley Variant was the most useful preperation for playing CoC with my friends. Doing crazy ass stuff just to see the results is our core mechanic. In our former D and D table I had a tiefling bard who had been polymorphed into a bullywog. My diplomacy was so high I once rolled a natural 20 with a demon boss we were supposed to fight and, since I spoke it's language, convinced it to become my drinking buddy.

We really ephasis the "play" part of role playing games.
Honestly I do it for one of two reasons, in a live play we record for the show, it shows keepers and others players how to handle such situations, and during a demo of a game at a con it show the author, and most likely the keeper, where they have holes in the scenario.

I might have you bet on the other, however. I played a Sun Elf wizard in D&D tht was afflicted with Wild Magic. Basically anytime I tried casting a spell the DM would roll percentiles to see if I hit a certain range, when I did he had a HUGE list of possible side effects. For instance I tried casting knock, and instead filled an entire inn with Thanksgiving style dinners knee deep. Or the time when I wen to cast Chromatic Orb and instead banished a party member to the plane of shadow. Needless to say he was an awesome character!

Aaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:25 am

That is fantastic! I wish Thanksgiving themed failures was a part of any games magic mechanic. The only riposte I have is that my Tiefling/Bullywog Bard was named Howard the Duck the Bard the Mud Lord, and I would insist on his entire name being used all the time. He had a familiar named Chester Copperpot that he would summon by pressing his tongue to a tattoo on the roof of his mouth then puke him out. Chester did not have a happy life.

Dysturbed
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Dysturbed » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:45 pm

RL name is Justin. I only recently discovered the Mythos. A few years ago my wife and I took a trip down to the Outer Banks from Ohio with some friends. I ended up riding in the back reading most of the way. A friend of mine had suggested Call of Cthulhu to me a long time ago so I picked up a collection of stories to read on the way down. Something unnerving about finishing CoC while sitting on the beach a hour or so before a big rain rolls in. I ended up reading most of this trip sitting out on the deck of the beach house reading story after story I couldn't stop. Needless to say I am a huge fan now listen to everything this great bunch of guys put out and others.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Dysturbed wrote:RL name is Justin. I only recently discovered the Mythos. A few years ago my wife and I took a trip down to the Outer Banks from Ohio with some friends. I ended up riding in the back reading most of the way. A friend of mine had suggested Call of Cthulhu to me a long time ago so I picked up a collection of stories to read on the way down. Something unnerving about finishing CoC while sitting on the beach a hour or so before a big rain rolls in. I ended up reading most of this trip sitting out on the deck of the beach house reading story after story I couldn't stop. Needless to say I am a huge fan now listen to everything this great bunch of guys put out and others.
Thanks Dysturbed! Nice to have you here.

Jabdah
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Jabdah » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi there, I'm Jabdah (real name Andreas) from Sweden. I was instroduced to Lovecraft and the Mythos through Call of Cthulhu some twenty years ago. I only got to play a few scenarios back then, but I kept reading Lovecraft and Mythos-related stuff. In 2010 I started listening to YSDC's HotOE campaign. That inspired me to get the old RPG group together again and dust off my CoC rulebook. A couple of weeks ago my players thwarted Nyarlathotep and his plans in MoN, after playing it every second Monday for almost a whole year and recording every session. The recordings are released as an Actual Play podcast. I'm currently listening to the backlist of the MU Podcast, and almost every episode so far have given me some inspiration to good house rules, scenarios or just "better keeping". Keep it up!
http://monsterworld.se - Swedish Actual Play & Roleplaying podcast

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 am

What is the address for your podcast Jabdah? We'd be happy to help let people know about it.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast