Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Introduce Yourself

Post by Wordcraftian » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello, my handle is Wordcraftian chosen to represent my love of writing, crafting words, and the obvious nod to "Lovecraftian" inspiration.
I've been a listener since episode one, where I happened to stumble upon it whilst searching iTunes for Lovecraftian Podcasts.
Prior to listening to this Podcast, I had never played an RPG in my life. When the hosts were using terms like D20x5 etc,... I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. (Figured it out by Episode 3 through context).

My friends, knowing damn well that I LOVE Lovecraft, had expressed interest in my running a CoC game, even though I had zero experience with tabletop RPGs. But since I've started listening, I've gone out and played as a character in a game that I convinced someone else to keep, just so I could experience what it was like. I'll be running my own game very soon, and I could not be doing it without the help I've found here.
Also, this podcast has helped me through many a long shift, and for that I say thank you to our hosts.

I've been reading Lovecraft for years, and am one of the rare individuals who turned to the game from the writing and not the other way around.

ThePhantomGhoul
Associate Professor
Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by ThePhantomGhoul » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey, this s Kyle, aka FUBAR on the YSDC and other forums. Been gaming for nearly three decades and obsessed with horror even longer. I used to moderate the old Fangoria forums, after that I began my own site "CTHUTUBE". These days I make videos and various RPG projects that will probably never see the light of day.

If anyone is interested in forming a group to play over Skype or Google hangouts hit me up.
http://www.cthutube.com/
Home of all things strange, odd, and Lovecraftian.

Barl0we
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Barl0we » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi, my name is Mikkel AKA Keeper Barl0we!

I've listened to the podcast since ~episode 6.

I've just run my very first game of Call of Chtulhu last saturday, and it was a blast! It turned out a lot more pulpy than I'd thought...But man, those 5 hours zipped right past me, and had tons of fun with my friends :)

I've been an avid horror reader / viewer for years, and finally convinced my friends to try out a pen & paper RPG.

I'm going on exchange in Liverpool (I'm from Copenhagen) for the autumn semester, so I'm hoping to have loads of scenarios / a long campaign ready for my friends when I get home next spring.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 pm

This makes me so happy to hear that folks who have never played an RPG before are giving it a try. This hobby has been such a wonderful source of friendship and entertainment for me over the last 20+ years, and I'm thrilled to help bring it to new people.

Wordcraftian, I apologize for the poor manner in which we conveyed the terms. I'll see if we can fit a segment into the show to help other new players get a better feel for what we're talking about. *scribblescribblescribble* Duly noted. :D
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:00 am

Wow, I'm with Dan, it is great to hear from folks who are so new to Call of Cthulhu, and that they are finding our podcast helpful in their transition into the game. It's also good to hear from you, Fubar/Kyle, an old goat to the game!!! :mrgreen:

More than anything, I hope you guys enjoy the universe created by H. P. Lovecraft, and how that universe has been interpreted by the role-playing game. When I was in high school, I scooped-up and played in just about every role-playing game I could get my hands on. But now, I'm really only motivated to play Call of Cthulhu. It's a system that I know and love, because it feels so intuitive to play.

My fingers are crossed that 7th Ed doesn't harsh my buzz. :ugeek:

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:This makes me so happy to hear that folks who have never played an RPG before are giving it a try. This hobby has been such a wonderful source of friendship and entertainment for me over the last 20+ years, and I'm thrilled to help bring it to new people.

Wordcraftian, I apologize for the poor manner in which we conveyed the terms. I'll see if we can fit a segment into the show to help other new players get a better feel for what we're talking about. *scribblescribblescribble* Duly noted. :D
I figure, probably as you did, that most people who would subscribe to a podcast about a Tabletop RPG would have some experience with the lingo. People like me, who subscribe because they're obsessed with all things Lovecraft and have never actually been exposed to an RPG before are likely to be rare. In hindsight, the language is rather intuitive.

On a different note, I'm excited to see this forum grow, haven't been a member of an online forum in years and I miss it. The anonymity, the discussion, the topics worth debating and exploring with like-minded people, and above all, the sense of community. The experience is unparalleled by any facebook or twitter. Thank you for setting this up, and as with the quality of your podcast, the production value here is astonishing. Keep up the amazing work!

Pharmakon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Pharmakon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey there! Just introducing myself and thanking you guys for a wonderful podcast. Please keep the podcasts coming!

I've been a tabletop roleplayer since around 1980. So, I've always known about Call of Cthulhu. I just never got around to playing it. Same with the writings of Lovecraft. Something I'd always heard about and had a vague idea about, but never read.

So, imagine my delight when right about the time I decide to give it a try, lo and behold, I discover your podcast! Perfect timing! It was a wonderful introduction to the game, and after listening to all the episodes and buying sixth edition, I have just finished running my friends in a two part mash-up of the Haunting and the Edge of Darkness. All of the characters died, but in the end, the evil was kept at bay for just a little bit longer!

I had a blast and I hope to run many more sessions. I just wanted to thank you guys, my new Cthulhu mentors.

Pharmakon (aka Charles from Baton Rouge)

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:56 pm

I really appreciate your kind words. It really makes the time worth it knowing that you guys are really enjoying the show and getting some good info and entertainment out of it.
I have other segments in mind that I haven't had the time to really flesh out, and I hope to bring some more fun and info to the show once I can get around to producing them.

Now that you guys have found us, don't be shy about trying other podcasts and forums too (though we want to keep you around here!). For folks new to Lovecraft, I highly recommend the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast. They go through all the fiction HPL wrote, in chronological order and talk about them. They're funny and well researched. And it's a good time to jump on as they're moving into a new phase of their show because they finished all of HPL's original fiction, and they're moving into other things he wrote and his inspirations and peers.

And the grand-daddy of all Call of Cthulhu forums is Yog-Sothoth. They have a regular Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu news podcast called News from Pnakotus, and an amazing amount of stored audio content for Patrons. I am a Patron, and I encourage everyone else to consider it if it's in your means.
The forums are the main benefit of the site though, and that's for everyone. People who write for the game are on there, and a wonderful community of fans from around the world. You'll never find a better group.

I consider their community to be the same as ours. We all love the same literature and games.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Pharmakon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Pharmakon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 am

Keeper Dan wrote:INow that you guys have found us, don't be shy about trying other podcasts and forums too .
I definitely will! :mrgreen:

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 am

Hi Pharmakon,

I lived in 'ol Red Stick for a few years after I got out of the Army. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the comic book shop and game shop I used to haunt down there. I had some good times down there.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!