Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
spiggy
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by spiggy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Hello everyone. I guess I'm the new guy around these parts. My name is Ben and I'm a longtime Lovecraft fan. My introduction to the Mythos was probably like a lot of other old-timers, I saw the Cthulhu Mythos chapter in the 1st edition Deities & Demigods hardback. My mom and dad had an album by the San Francisco band HP Lovecraft and so that just confused me. Around that time that I found out that there was a Call of Cthulhu rpg. To a young kid who was stricken with that early 80s D&D fever, it didn't look all that attractive. No battle axes, no swords, most of the action took place in libraries rather than dungeons. In my early teens I finally got ahold of some of the Lovecraft Del Rey paperbacks and it just snowballed from there. I've been an HPL fan ever since and I'm also a big fan of Thomas Ligotti, Robert Bloch, WH Pugmire, and other writers of Lovecraftian and cosmic horror.

But I never played the RPG!

I've run a couple play by post games using the Cthulhu Dark rules, I've played Arkham Horror, I've played Lovecraftian games of D&D and Palladium FRPG, but I haven't played played Call of Cthulhu. I've got the Quick Start rules, I played Against the Flames, I've written out a notebook full of scenario ideas, but I still haven't played the game. Anyway, I was flipping through a copy of Maks of Nyarlathotep at a game shop and while looking for copies online, I found the MU Actual Play of Masks podcast of Nyarlathotep run by Keeper Murf. For TWO WEEKS I listened to all of the episodes. I was engrossed by it. It was endlessly amusing to me and when it was over, I started listening to the rest of the live plays and then eventually I came to the MU Podcast. So here I am just looking for a game (online or in person if you're in NoVa) and looking to connect with the brilliant creators and fans of the MU podcast.

Cheers!

Go 'pods!

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:54 pm

Welcome spiggy, (Ben)! What a great story. I'm glad you've been enjoying the actual play games and the podcast. I hope you're able to get into an actual game of CoC soon. Please let us know how your first game goes, or better yet, please call into our speakpipe line and leave us a voicemail.

Here's a Cthulhu conga line to welcome you!
:cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance:

Lobster_Memories
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Lobster_Memories » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:11 am

Hello everyone! I'm a long time podcast listener, first time forum writer. I've always been a big fan of horror stories and when I was introduced to HPL and cosmic horror in middle school I was hooked instantly. I was also first introduced to role playing games in middle school and when I first found out that there was a Cthulhu RPG I was overjoyed. I've been having trouble getting any face to face Lovecraftian RPG sessions together recently and so was very much hoping to run or participate in some play by post games on this site. I picked my username because it is somewhat related to Lovecraft (emphasis on the somewhat), but also because the pairing of the two words seems kinda funny to me.

:fhtagn:

Zilo_edsel
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Zilo_edsel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Hey everyone Im a new member soon to be a new keeper, ive run many games in DnD and one fun one in a combo of 3.5 and pathfinder(which was much harder than i thought it would be). hopefully this will be a great resorce to me as a new keeper.

(also I posted a thing in railroad to adventure...might not have been the right place,but if anyone wants to help a new keeper out its the one called dead man stomp.)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Welcome t'ya! Hope this Cthulhu brain trust is up to the task! Will chase down your other post...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

PatG
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PatG » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:15 pm

PatG here. I've been playing and GMing RPGs since the dawn of time (OD&D) but very little CoC. I am putting together a local group of "mature" gamers - too many (grand)children and never enough time - and I am hoping to introduce them to CoC. It seems well suited to episodic scenarios that can be resolved in a handful of play sessions. No disrespect meant to campaigns of course. Over the decades I have read most of Lovecraft's works and other mythos related fiction and I think the genre supports a more contemplative game style rather than "kill all the things".

I'll be working with sixth ed since that is what I have and I am enjoying working my way through the early MUP podcasts.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:18 pm

PatG wrote:PatG here. I've been playing and GMing RPGs since the dawn of time (OD&D) but very little CoC. I am putting together a local group of "mature" gamers - too many (grand)children and never enough time - and I am hoping to introduce them to CoC. It seems well suited to episodic scenarios that can be resolved in a handful of play sessions. No disrespect meant to campaigns of course. Over the decades I have read most of Lovecraft's works and other mythos related fiction and I think the genre supports a more contemplative game style rather than "kill all the things".

I'll be working with sixth ed since that is what I have and I am enjoying working my way through the early MUP podcasts.
Welcome! I would absolutely agree that CoC is perfect for short games. You can even find scenarios that work well in 3-4 hours, which means it's possible to play an RPG that actually resolves in one evening. For occasional players who want to do more than kill all the things, CoC is just excellent. Let us know (hosts and forum community) if there's anything we can do to help.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Joetraveler
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Joetraveler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Dan:
Hi All:

I'm Joe; and older "newbie." Came to Call of Cthulhu well over 20 years ago (the rules in my game room are 2nd edition). I had been gaming -- and reading lovecraft - since the 70s. But life got in the way and its been 18-20 years since I have done any serious gaming. I've been starting to get back into things, and started listening to the podcast to learn a few things (and learn what i don't know/forgot). Will be a while before i even think about being a keeper; i have to get use to just playing again. But if anyone has any advice feel free.

Thanks
joe

PS - Dan, it was good to meet you (and Chad, and Murph) at Necronomicon 2017. joined the forums and now i'll see how it goes from here.