Introduce Yourself

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Post Reply
Wireless
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Wireless » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:
Wireless wrote:Yo. I found this whole site just now while searching for resources for CoC - I'm planning on running a game in time for Hallowe'en. I've been into rpgs for a while now, and into Lovecraft for longer than that, but this is the first time I've attempted to combine the two. As I understand it, my goal as a Keeper is to be as horrifically cruel to my players as is humanly possible so it should be fun.

Outside of gaming, I'm British, a film student, and (I like to think) a bit of a history buff.

Compared to everyone else in this thread, I also seem to be a man of few words.
Welcome Wireless! I'd love to hear how your game goes. Are you designing your own scenario, or running a published adventure?
I'm going to be running The Haunting - what better way to celebrate hallowe'en than to lock your players in a house with a poltergeist vampire?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Lenexa, KS

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 pm

amvteknoboy wrote:Hello everyone!

My name is James. Like most, I am an avid gamer with many years under my belt, but I am very new the whole Call of Cthulhu thing. The only Cthulhu-based game that I have every played was Trail of Cthulhu and that was at this past GenCon. I found this podcast through other podcast. I've always had an interest in horror and dark fantasy, mostly sticking to the Classic and New World of Darkness stuff. I have recently picked up Dread and Don't Rest Your Head. I grew up playing mostly traditional style games, but I have recently opened myself up to the narrative side of gaming. I look very much forward to get a copy of the game, but I might just wait for 7th edition to be finished next year before I start.

I just finished the Dream Lands episode and I have to say that the topic grabbed much of my interest. I had no idea about that other world.

Keep up the good work guys! I'll poke my head into this forum from time to time.
Hi James. Thanks for checking out our show. I've just subscribed to yours, and I'll be catching up soon, so include your actual plays. Love actual plays.

Also, I think you can easily adapt Dread to Cthulhu gaming too. I'd love to hear how a game of Dread goes, should you use it.

1d4cast_James
Sophmore
Sophmore
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:37 pm
Location: Winchester, VA
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by 1d4cast_James » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:14 am

Keeper Jon wrote: Hi James. Thanks for checking out our show. I've just subscribed to yours, and I'll be catching up soon, so include your actual plays. Love actual plays.

Also, I think you can easily adapt Dread to Cthulhu gaming too. I'd love to hear how a game of Dread goes, should you use it.
Thanks! I hope that you enjoy. The actual plays labeled under 'TWWBK' start off very rough, but about 6 episodes in a new mic was purchased and the quality is so much better now. Because there are so many TWWBK episodes I have them hosted on mixcloud since its free. The other actual plays should still be in our feed.

I had the same thought about Dread. I would like to utilize a sanity mechanic that says that you have to pull 1, 2, or 3 extra blocks when you are blasted with sanity loss.
Founder and Co-Host of the 1d4Cast Podcast and 1d4Con.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:42 am

amvteknoboy wrote:Hello everyone!

My name is James. Like most, I am an avid gamer with many years under my belt, but I am very new the whole Call of Cthulhu thing. The only Cthulhu-based game that I have every played was Trail of Cthulhu and that was at this past GenCon. I found this podcast through other podcast. I've always had an interest in horror and dark fantasy, mostly sticking to the Classic and New World of Darkness stuff. I have recently picked up Dread and Don't Rest Your Head. I grew up playing mostly traditional style games, but I have recently opened myself up to the narrative side of gaming. I look very much forward to get a copy of the game, but I might just wait for 7th edition to be finished next year before I start.

I just finished the Dream Lands episode and I have to say that the topic grabbed much of my interest. I had no idea about that other world.

Keep up the good work guys! I'll poke my head into this forum from time to time.
Hey there, James. Thanks a heap for promoting MUP on D4. I've been catching up on it since hearing about it -- great stuff for overall game advice and insight. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in gaming, and I hope some of our listeners will pick it up. I'm a big fan of the storytelling stuff like DRYH and Dread. Monsters and Other Childish Things is also an interesting take on the horror genre. Like CoC, I think they're good Con games, because the rules are pretty easy to pick up and they encourage players to buy into the narrative in a personal way.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

1d4cast_James
Sophmore
Sophmore
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:37 pm
Location: Winchester, VA
Contact:

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by 1d4cast_James » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Hey there, James. Thanks a heap for promoting MUP on D4. I've been catching up on it since hearing about it -- great stuff for overall game advice and insight. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in gaming, and I hope some of our listeners will pick it up. I'm a big fan of the storytelling stuff like DRYH and Dread. Monsters and Other Childish Things is also an interesting take on the horror genre. Like CoC, I think they're good Con games, because the rules are pretty easy to pick up and they encourage players to buy into the narrative in a personal way.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
I've been wanting to try out 'Monsters and other Childish Things'. I bought my copy of DRYH at GenCon. Heard about it a long time ago though, been wanting to try it out. I also prefer games that have the players buy into the narrative because they are usually a ton of fun. Thanks for the kind words about my podcast. This podcast is great and I love your segment!
Founder and Co-Host of the 1d4Cast Podcast and 1d4Con.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:27 pm

amvteknoboy wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:
Hey there, James. Thanks a heap for promoting MUP on D4. I've been catching up on it since hearing about it -- great stuff for overall game advice and insight. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in gaming, and I hope some of our listeners will pick it up. I'm a big fan of the storytelling stuff like DRYH and Dread. Monsters and Other Childish Things is also an interesting take on the horror genre. Like CoC, I think they're good Con games, because the rules are pretty easy to pick up and they encourage players to buy into the narrative in a personal way.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
I've been wanting to try out 'Monsters and other Childish Things'. I bought my copy of DRYH at GenCon. Heard about it a long time ago though, been wanting to try it out. I also prefer games that have the players buy into the narrative because they are usually a ton of fun. Thanks for the kind words about my podcast. This podcast is great and I love your segment!
I played DRYH at a con back in 2010, and had a blast. Simple mechanics, fun world, and a very dark perspective. The GM got very personal with pregen character backgrounds, but allowed everyone to invent a "dream power" -- or whatever it is called -- that is related to the character. It ended up being a pretty twisted story, and it was one of the best horror-game sessions I've ever played at a convention.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Lenexa, KS

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:17 pm

I've listened to a couple of RPPR actual plays of DRYH, and I have this idea for a character who's power is elasticity, (like Mr. Fantastic), and the "What just happened to you" answer is that I was just pushed into an open elevator shaft! My elastic power manifests just as I "splash" at the bottom of the elevator shaft.

I have the character idea, but I've never played. How sad is that? :(

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 am

Keeper Jon wrote:I've listened to a couple of RPPR actual plays of DRYH, and I have this idea for a character who's power is elasticity, (like Mr. Fantastic), and the "What just happened to you" answer is that I was just pushed into an open elevator shaft! My elastic power manifests just as I "splash" at the bottom of the elevator shaft.

I have the character idea, but I've never played. How sad is that? :(
Super sad, man. Honestly, you're kind of bringing the room down. :cry:
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Lenexa, KS

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Keeper Jon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Keeper Jon wrote:I've listened to a couple of RPPR actual plays of DRYH, and I have this idea for a character who's power is elasticity, (like Mr. Fantastic), and the "What just happened to you" answer is that I was just pushed into an open elevator shaft! My elastic power manifests just as I "splash" at the bottom of the elevator shaft.

I have the character idea, but I've never played. How sad is that? :(
Super sad, man. Honestly, you're kind of bringing the room down. :cry:
LOL! :lol:

Eibon
Sophmore
Sophmore
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Eibon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 pm

I am and Englishman in his Forties, who's day job is working with computers, but who by night is a mild-mannered Weird fiction writer and illustrator. I discovered Howard, Lovecraft and Smith, in that order, from the late 70s to the mid 80s as I got into Role Playing Games. By the Mid-Eighties I was contributing art to British fanzines (Dagon, Descending Darkness, Cerebratron) and almost got my first publish fiction then (but not quite). I did a lot of processing the Cthulhu Mythos -- writing glossaries, lists and book fragments -- because if you where a Hindu, you had texts you could find out what the mythology was about, but for Cthulhu there was no "primary" text, only "secondary" ones. So I was working out my own "take" on it. When Lin Carter died and I got "The Life of Eibon" chapbook I thought to myself, "some fool is going to try and finish Carter's scheme for writing a Book of Eibon, and if some fool is going to do it, that fool might as well be me!" So that's what I did. I contacted E.P.Berglund, who was a great help making further contacts. I sent what Eibonic stories I'd written to Bob Price when I heard he planned a Book of Eibon and he liked them enough to publish them. While waiting for that to see print, I also published several unconnected Cthulhu Mythos stories as well.

I've not had a lot published as Role Playing stuff (some uncredited work on the Conan RPG, the odd fanzine piece), but I've written a fair few adventures over the years and been a Keeper for 28 years now. My players have tried most things at one time or another.

Post Reply