Newbie Here - Tons of Questions

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
sanjuro
Freshman
Freshman
Newbie Here - Tons of Questions

Post by sanjuro » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 pm

Hey Everyone,

My name is Michael and I am not only a CoC newb, but an RPG newb! I got into this kind of late, I am 32 years old, but have extensive video gaming experience playing competitive games professionally (cs 1.6 and dota) for over 15 years. My wife and I got into the board game hobby last year then I discovered CoC and holy smokes. I am currently developing an original screenplay to option as well as starting work as a voice actor. Needless to say, the idea of role-playing in a horror setting made me regret not having these kinds of friends growing up. Well here I am now and I have no idea what I am doing! I have played a little DnD 5th edition with a few people but that is it. I purchased 7th Edition CoC bundle at Chaosim that comes with the investigators handbook, keepers shield and supplement book. I have read through most of the 7th edition book and am working on the investigators handbook how. I quickly realized I have run into some problems. One, none of my friends or family (besides my wife) are interested in CoC let along RPGS. I have no real creative friends and it proves really hard to find some people in the part of L.A. that I live (south bay). I have tried Meet-up but they are mostly into path finder and board games. So I need some help...

Where should I go to play CoC, even if it's online - where would I find people who would be willing to let me play a campaign with them?

What are some good cons or events, possibly on the west coast, that I can attend to meet more people?

I would love to run my own campaign but having not even played the game once let alone a campaign has made this my priority. Idealy, I would love to run a weekly game night at my place but finding people here is hard, so I appeal to all of your great judgement. Thank you everyone for any and all feedback!

P.S. If someone would let me play with their group I would be oh so happy and will be a fantastic team player!

Odin
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Newbie Here - Tons of Questions

Post by Odin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:51 am

I found a campaign by checking up here once or twice a week.

Watch this space (never know when someone might be looking for players)
http://www.mu-podcast.com/campus/viewforum.php?f=34

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Newbie Here - Tons of Questions

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 am

sanjuro wrote:Hey Everyone,

My name is Michael and I am not only a CoC newb, but an RPG newb! I got into this kind of late, I am 32 years old, but have extensive video gaming experience playing competitive games professionally (cs 1.6 and dota) for over 15 years. My wife and I got into the board game hobby last year then I discovered CoC and holy smokes. I am currently developing an original screenplay to option as well as starting work as a voice actor. Needless to say, the idea of role-playing in a horror setting made me regret not having these kinds of friends growing up. Well here I am now and I have no idea what I am doing! I have played a little DnD 5th edition with a few people but that is it. I purchased 7th Edition CoC bundle at Chaosim that comes with the investigators handbook, keepers shield and supplement book. I have read through most of the 7th edition book and am working on the investigators handbook how. I quickly realized I have run into some problems. One, none of my friends or family (besides my wife) are interested in CoC let along RPGS. I have no real creative friends and it proves really hard to find some people in the part of L.A. that I live (south bay). I have tried Meet-up but they are mostly into path finder and board games. So I need some help...

Where should I go to play CoC, even if it's online - where would I find people who would be willing to let me play a campaign with them?

What are some good cons or events, possibly on the west coast, that I can attend to meet more people?

I would love to run my own campaign but having not even played the game once let alone a campaign has made this my priority. Idealy, I would love to run a weekly game night at my place but finding people here is hard, so I appeal to all of your great judgement. Thank you everyone for any and all feedback!

P.S. If someone would let me play with their group I would be oh so happy and will be a fantastic team player!
Hey there and welcome! This is a good place to start, especially for online play, so keep an eye out and don't stop asking. For local play, I highly recommend going to a convention if possible. And for meeting potential players, small local conventions are excellent.

Don't skip over non-RPG cons, because science fiction or comic cons or video game cons will often have tabletop game rooms and some options to play.

If Keepering ends up being your cup of tea, you will not have a hard time filling tables with players. People who play RPGs recognize Call of Cthulhu and often jump on it when offered.

The other good entry point is game stores. Find one that's reasonably close to you and ask about pickup games and message boards. Several years ago when I re-entered the hobby, I just went to a store, looked at the bulletin board, and called / emailed the first piece of paper I saw with Cthulhu listed. Ended up running a year long campaign with people I had never met before.

Finally, for online games check out Google+ groups like Call of Cthulhu and the MU Podcast group.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers