Starter bringing the family along!

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Snipersunset
Freshman
Freshman
Starter bringing the family along!

Post by Snipersunset » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:50 am

Hi everyone,
I'm completely new to CoC, and rpgs in general, and I'm looking for a few sage words of advice.
Me, she who must be obeyed and our 16 year old have decided that we like the look of CoC and fancy giving it a go. We are all new to rpgs and as such I've been "voted" into the keepers chair. I'm waiting to get 7th edition as its only a few weeks away apparently.
What advice would you give us to make sure I keep them hooked from the first game? I've listened to some of the podcasts, not all of them as I only found this place about a week ago, but want to make sure I do the best job I can straight out of the traps.

Is there anywhere a total newbie, with no rule book, can get in on a game so I can get a feel for the game before I start running games? I've got 3 young children and SWMBO so I might not be able to give hours and hours to a game at a time, but if it fits around us hopefully I could get involved.

Anyway enough rambling for now as I'm sure I'll be back later with more already answered a million time questions.

By the way great podcast guys, one of the best I've heard on any subject. Go Pods :cthulhudance:

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Starter bringing the family along!

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Welcome!!!

May I suggest, then, before any of you get started, that each of you play through the solo learning game of "Alone Against the Flames." To so so, please download the FREE Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start rules from here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/128 ... tart-Rules

Then, download the FREE adventure, "Alone Against the Flames" from here: http://www.chaosium.com/alone-against-t ... -pdf-epub/

"Alone Against the Flames" is a fantastic teaching/learning adventure. It is written in a choose-your-own-adventure-path style format, so as you, the player, make your selections and go deeper into the adventure you are taught how to make a character and play the game. You, SWMBO, and your 16 year old could each go through it and compare your results with each other. Then, you can consider purchasing the 7e rule books in PDF form, (which are currently available), and then as the Keeper, you can read-up on the introductory adventures in the book and guide your players through them.... to their ultimate doom!!!! :cthulhu2:

Please let us know how it goes. I'd love to hear how it went, and where you go from there.

Snipersunset
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Starter bringing the family along!

Post by Snipersunset » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:18 am

That's my Friday night sorted out then

Thanks Jon