Staring your own campaign

Where new Keepers can ask "stupid" questions without fear of hazing.
Russacky
Freshman
Freshman
Staring your own campaign

Post by Russacky » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about starting your own campaign. Just having finished reading through the 7th edition rules (I really want a physical copy) has made me want to run my own rather than one of the published scenarios. Also, any basic tips on making it more pulpy as one of my investigators was deeply affected by the death of one of his characters and I'd love to give their characters just a smidge more longevity.

Thanks.

:cthulhudance:
ystell'bsna grah'n hupadgh cthulhu ytharanak n'gha

Image by Alan Bao (not me) http://alanbao.tumblr.com/
IRC 4 LYF

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Staring your own campaign

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:41 am

Ahlovit. Great idea, Ant. Like one of those hanging sticky fly traps of flesh. And like fly traps, there are always one or two critters that are still twitching and flapping around still alive!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

monkey prime
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by monkey prime » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Good call! I'm in the middle of my first home-brewed effort. For me it was about putting down the structure. I had my central idea (4 nutters raised to compete to give the biggest sacrifice to the Tick Tock Man) so I needed to break that down into component chapters (or operations). Each of these operations had its place (either a confrontation with a chaos bringer or vital piece of info which led to a confrontation) and I was able to re-jig them to ensure they made sense or that I didn't have lots of long operations next to each other. I've been writing the operations as we went and have been able to include little things that have come up.

As for pulpy, can I recommend World War Cthulhu? It's a great setting (spies working as part of Network N during world war 2), it gels well with 7th edition and the PCs stats are beefed up as they're spies. We've done 5 stories now with one fatality, although three guys changed characters and a couple have been at deaths door.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Think there was an MUP episode that goes over this some but here's my thoughts (which might also include some of the episodes here). Get a few scenarios that are somewhat tied together (several Secrets/Setting books are good as they have a descent collection themed to an area), put in a good starting scenario that's not too hard & has some good ties to the characters so they can meet up to deal with any threats. During & after that session, have a helpful NPC that knows some of the player characters to offer up some space or resources. They seem good at it or like minded enough that they might be good to the community or extra money for getting the group going. From there the group can be a good spot for backup characters as NPCs (or new ones) that if something bad happens or someone can't make it, you can at least get some help from friendly NPCs and if they hold up, use them as player characters (as well as GM using them as NPC sources of misinformation or bait for the player characters or nudge the story if they get stuck). Don't make it too complex as the main stuff to deal with is the character development & scenario stories, GOOD LUCK!
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)