Post 30s pre modern era fiction

Lovecraft, any of his circle of friends, and any other horror/weird fiction authors and stories.
Tariq
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Post 30s pre modern era fiction

Post by Tariq » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Soooo... I suppose now's a good time to review something actually CoC related. 

Book 4 is Delta Green Alien Intelligence Edited by Bob Kruger and John Tynes.

Eight stories drawn from the deep pool of the DG universe, and I find I love all of them.

From the opening missive - a last note typed by a DG veteran as Majestic agents close in - to the final short story, this anthology adds the anxious texture that the DG source book encourages. It's the sort of exposition of personal horror that keepers need to read and re-read to bring their games down into the right level of moral murk where DG shines as a role playing game.

That said the themes that run through the anthology are dark and could have a depressing effect on any game / campaign if applied with too much abandon, so use with care.

In terms of the literature itself, I loved these tales... but I am biased. If I had to be critical, I'd say some of these stories slip on two points: (a.) complexity can seem to be handled without subtlety, and (b.) a couple of the tales now seem dated... in a manner which doesn't necessarily appeal to my love of all things historical.

The stories herein rate from between 6.5 and 8.5 nightgaunts... but as a whole I feel compelled (by armed Majestic 12 operatives) to award 7 nightgaunts out of a possible 10.

Tariq
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Post 30s pre modern era fiction

Post by Tariq » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:The Repairman Jack series, by F. Paul Wilson

This is a great series that really feels like it is related to the Mythos. Our hero, Jack, is a guy who can fix problems... problems that the straight authorities can't, (or won't), handle. He's been doing it since he was a kid in high school, right around the time when his mother was killed in a freak accident... or was it?

Ever since then, Jack has engineered his life so that he is truly "off the grid." He doesn't have a Social Security Number, all of his identifications are fake, and he works on a cash and barter system only. If the entire series was just based on this uber-cool fix-it guy, that would be enough, but there is so much more.
I love this series. I give it 8 tickling Nightgaunts!
Repairman Jack Wiki
Thank you Keeper Jon, I've just started the cycle with the Keep and loved the feeling this universe has developed so far! Great recommendation.