Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Lovecraft, any of his circle of friends, and any other horror/weird fiction authors and stories.
Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Koakai » Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 am

I am always amazed just how prolific an author he was. You normally only think Sherlock Holmes, but that forms a mere pittance of his work. I heard 'The terror of blue-john gap.' read on one of the audio fiction podcasts I follow, and I was remembered just how good he is at writing all things, not just Mr Holmes. The terror certainly fits in the weird fiction area.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Post by Howard » Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 am

That was a good listen, my thoughts exactly. Classic Tales Podcast has "The Lost World" of his in about five episodes. The main character, J.R. Challenger, I just heard in an episode of Sherlock Holmes. Holmes brought Mr. Challenger in for his expertise in jungle poisons.

WitchDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by WitchDoctor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 am

(dead thread I know)

Never knew Challenger showed up in more mainstream Doyle. Cool beans.

I totally spelled "knew" correctly by the way.
Last edited by WitchDoctor on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:17 am

WitchDoctor wrote:(dead thread I know)
The threads never die. They're just sleeping, and with strange aeons even death may die.
:zombie1: :nyarly: :mummy:
:zombie2: :vamp: :fhtagn:
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:07 am

Thread Necromancy is totally fine here. Dead things can be just as fun! :science:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

mrjohnmarchughes
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by mrjohnmarchughes » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:06 pm

The relationship between Sir Arthur and Harry Houdini is intriguing.
(( http://www.prairieghosts.com/doyle_houdini.html ))
I find the idea of Houdini's famous stage-show fascinating: (if I'm remembering it correctly) he first held a "genuine" seance, on stage, with members of the audience sitting around the table with him, taking part; and then he repeated the whole thing, beat for beat, with all the stage lights turned on and the tablecloth removed - allowing the rest of the audience to see exactly how every single trick and effect had been accomplished. Don't you wish you could travel back in time to see that?
It's remarkable that he and Sir Arthur stayed friends.

A Houdini-like individual - a superstar cynic and mythosbuster, who tours the world publicly revealing the tricks of mediums -would be a cool CoC character, methinks.
slippery thump