The Well Dressed Man 1920

Gear, stuff, supplies... The things that make encumbrance rules a serious consideration for your GM.
Whitechapel Jack
Freshman
Freshman
The Well Dressed Man 1920

Post by Whitechapel Jack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Well Dressed Man

It has come up many times in my games where the investigators have asked “Would I have that in my pockets?” Often I have either allowed it out of hand or called for a Luck Roll to settle the matter but it made me curious about what the average investigator was likely to have in their pockets or purse at any given time. After an amazingly brief time at the computer I was able to put together a list of the most common items likely to be carried by any investigator habitually.
I have divided the list into two categories, ubiquitous which are the things that almost everyone has almost all the time, it can just be assumed everyone has these. And common which are things not everyone always has but no one bats an eye to see so if the investigator does not say they have one of these a Luck Roll would be appropriate to determine if they have it on them right now. This list is intended so players do not have to keep track of so many little items on their character sheet.

Ubiquitous Common
Hat Walking Stick
Wallet Cigar or Cigarette
Money Clip Todays Paper
Cash Pocket Pistol (.32 was common)
Lighter or Matches Flashlight
Memo Pad & Pen Pocket Watch
Comb
Keys
Bottle Opener
Pen Knife
Business or Calling Card
Identification
Handkerchief
Wristwatch.

-Walking Stick: While in the 40+ range it may be a necessary walking implement it is also considered part of the well dressed gentleman's ensemble.
-Cigars & Cigarettes: Smoking is very common in the first half of the twentieth century so a gentleman or lady with cigars or cigarettes is not at all uncommon.
-Lighter or matches: Even if you do not smoke there are enough places where candles or lamps are used for light, gas stoves for cooking or manners dictating a man should offer to light a ladies cigarette that it would be a surprise if one did not have a box of matches or lighter in their pocket. Not to mention every kitchen would have a box of kitchen matches.
-Pocket Pistol: In the US up until the 50’s it was not at all uncommon for men and women to have and frequently carry a small automatic or revolver called a pocket pistol. The .32 was the caliber of choice and was considered a self-defense size round not really large enough for a combat weapon but big enough to use to protect yourself.
-Hats: Both men and women would never dream of going outside without a hat of some kind. For men the fedora was wildly popular but bowlers, cowboy and other styles were available.
-Today's Paper: Everyone reads the daily paper and having today's copy of your favorite paper in a pocket or under your arm to read on when you have free time or to keep track of train/bus schedules and your picks in the horse/dog race is expected.

Whitechapel Jack
Freshman
Freshman
Re: The Well Dressed Man 1920

Post by Whitechapel Jack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 pm

the space between my 2 lists compressed out when it posted..... so here it is again I hope a little easier to read....

Ubiquitous...........................................................................Common
Hat...................................................................................Walking Stick
Wallet................................................................................Cigar or Cigarette
Money Clip...........................................................................Today's Paper
Cash..................................................................................Pocket Pistol (.32 was common)
Lighter or Matches..................................................................Flashlight
Memo Pad & Pen.....................................................................Pocket Watch
Comb
Keys
Bottle Opener
Pen Knife
Business or Calling Card
Identification
Handkerchief
Wristwatch.