Share your favorite other podcasts

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Share your favorite other podcasts

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm thinking that it would be cool to have promos for other podcasts to play on our show. We have promos for the HPL Literary Podcast, and I already talked to Paul about YSDC.
I sent off messages to both Podcast to the Curious and The Double Shadow asking if they have promos I can add in. What other shows would you like to have mentioned or promoted?

Anything that's near the gaming or weird fiction area would be fine. It doesn't have to be directly an HPL show. What are your ideas? :ni:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: Share your favorite other podcasts

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 am

Also, what about if we recorded a promo that they could play on their shows to help promote our show?

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am

Our promo is the first thing on the feed. I had that available before we had a show.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:Our promo is the first thing on the feed. I had that available before we had a show.
Oh... yeah... yeah, I knew that. Of course. I was just testing you. Um... if anybody needs me, I'll be in the Orne Library, studying for finals. :oops:

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi!

I'm quite sure Jim could do this with Skype Of Cthulhu, have a chat with him.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm a podcast nerd, so I listen to lots of them on lots of different topics. But for horror, I'd like to strongly recommend:

For Horror Fiction...

Pseudopod: a very well-done podcast for short horror fiction. Plenty of plots to steal from.
The Drabble Cast:a good show with original horror fiction and short pieces that are exactly 100 words long.
Strangetastic: a very amusing show with 5-minute light-horror stories that are awesomely Southern Gothic and told in a "tall tales" style that puts me in the mind of Mark Twain.
The Double Shadow: brilliant podcast about the works of Mythos writer Clark Ashton Smith.
HPPodcraft: It's already been mentioned a lot, but it truly is a great Master Class in HPL, even if you think you've read it all.

For Ideas...

Monster Talk: a skeptical and anthropological approach to cryptozoology, folklore and urban myths (about monsters). Great for creature ideas.
Hardcore History: a history nerd's very detailed look at the forces that shape history. He has a great series of episodes on the Roman Empire that would be invaluable for anyone running a Cthulhu Invictus game.
History of the World in 100 Objects:the BBC's amazing series covering certain items from the British Museum in London, from ancient stone axes to pirate gold and printing presses.***

*** NOTE: if you listen with Mythos on your mind, each one of the artifacts they cover could easily spark a whole scenario idea. Conveniently, there are 100 objects, so you could just roll percentile dice and run with it. Example: I just rolled a 60. Episode 60 is on "Kliwa pot sherds"...1000-year old pieces of pottery found on a beach on an island off the coast of East Africa. (Listening to episode) Ok, the shards were found in the same place but were from different regions around the world; China, India and Iraq. Let's say the characters discover a pile of pottery shards in some isolated game setting. When they put them together, depictions of cannibalism emerge on separate pots in three different art styles from different parts of the world. Place a few other strategic clues and add conspirators who don't want the truth to get out, and you've got a whole international campaign tracking down an ancient seafaring society of Tcho-Tcho.

For Gaming...

Actual People, Actual Play: a game podcast that discusses the mechanics of Indy games and how the rules affect the story.
The Gaming Grunts: Excellent actual plays of many game systems, but two notable Call of Cthulhu campaigns that I think provide some really useful examples of good and bad practices from both sides of the screen. The Keeper releases Keeper's Diary segments as he goes along that are particularly useful.
Skype of Cthulhu: Do I really need to pimp this podcast even more on this forum? They seem to be kind of a "sister show" to MU Podcast, if I'm not wrong.
Out of Character: A production out of Tucson, AZ that recently switched from hour-log shows to 10-minute segments. The new ones are more focused and dense, but the older ones were more of a "morning zoo" format and also quite fun to listen to. They cover all kinds of games in the old one, so you have to cherry pick the RPG topics.
Role Playing Public Radio (RPPR): A fun show on various gaming topics, but their crew plays a lot of Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green, so pick through their archives and Actual Plays for good CoC stuff.
News From Pnakotus: is just a good solid Lovecraftian games news show hosted by HPL maven Chris Lackey and the irrepressible Paul of Cthulhu.
Last edited by Dr. Gerard on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:41 pm

While they haven't done Call of Cthulhu, Knights of the Night is an excellent Actual Play podcast. They've done one game of Hunter: The Vigil and are now on a Dresden Files game. While I've never played either, and had an aversion to White Wolf, they got me interested in Hunter. I highly recommend checking them out.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Oh man, I just posted this long list of my favorite podcasts, but now I realize you were asking for ones that MUP could promote on the show. Duh. :!: Maybe I'll move my overall podcast recommendations to another thread...though you might look at my list and see if any of those would be willing to swap promotions.

Out of that list, I think Drabble Cast and Pseudopod would be willing to BE promoted on MUP, but I don't know if you'd get them to reciprocate. The same with Monster Talk. The guy who runs that is a self-professed D&D player and might be keen to get advertisement from MUP, but I doubt they'd want to promote an RPG show. RPPR and Out of Character might be willing to work with y'all on some kind of cross-promotion. A guy from RPPR (Cayleb) has been pushing his CoC Kickstarter, so maybe he'd be into some kind of mutual promotion? Jon, would Goodman Games be a good fit for an MUP promo for the book? Or do you prefer to keep the promos strictly for podcasts?

Anyway, if you need to outsource some audio production on those, let me know. I'm sure Dan has enough on his plate with the shows and APs at this point.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:Oh man, I just posted this long list of my favorite podcasts, but now I realize you were asking for ones that MUP could promote on the show.
No, this is great. I'm always looking for new podcasts to listen to. Thanks for this list, you named a few I haven't listened to yet, and I'm also going to check out Trevlix's Knights of the Night.

So folks, please post more podcasts we should be checking out.

Barl0we
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Barl0we » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm

The only other podcasts I listen to at the moment are Stuck In The Middle of Somewhere and The Game Station Podcast. Both are gaming related, but not really horror gaming >_>