Your ideas for show topics

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Your ideas for show topics

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm

How young?
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 am

Nvision wrote:Do you lads have any thoughts on getting the younger generation into pen & paper gaming? It doesn't necessarily have to be Mythos-related, since I'd like to have my kids still be able to sleep through the night, but are there some good entry-level systems or techniques for getting them hooked?
Hiya! As an FYI, I know they covered this as a side topic on one of the episodes, but I can't find anything in a search. Both Chad and Dan had some comments - Keepers remember which ep that was?

BUT, looks like Chad is already on the case, so never fear.... ;)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:52 am

An episode for kids/teenagers would be interesting to hear.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 am

I think the episode in questions was E44, though we only touched on the subject briefly in answer to a listener's question.

http://www.mu-podcast.com/mu-podcast-ep ... ist-shout/

Since that episode aired, I've had a smattering of experiences with kids and RPGs. One case was at a con, during which I could say that I learned you probably shouldn't have a kid under ten years old with a table full of adults. It was mostly fine for the players, but I think it's better to invite a few kids of the same age and just play to their level.

I also ran an online game with one of my friends, his son and a peer. Both of the latter were middle-schoolers (13-14). We played a Dark Ages game using Cthulhu Dark rules.

I used a rules-light system because we were online and I wanted to reduce the amount of rules I would have to convey. I also used CD because I like it. "I'm surprised to hear you say that Chad," said no one.

But I think I would still stick to lighter rules systems with young players. For traditional stuff, I would try Savage Worlds or FATE Accelerated for tweens or teens. I would also try Don't Rest Your Head or Cthulhu Dark. For younger kids, QAGS is a great rules-light system that you can plop into nearly any genre.

For tricks, I would recommend figuring out what genre they respond to, and really draw that out. If they like Anime, play in an Anime world. If they like Harry Potter, run a game set in a magic school or just go ahead and set it right at Hogwarts. There's also no shame in borrowing settings and plots from their favorite video games. I feel like that's how I personally dialed in to role playing in the first place; I picked the games that allowed me to step into worlds that I already knew. I was reading the Hobbit when I discovered D&D. In early high school, I was subscribing to 20 comic book titles, and I played a whole lot of supers games. I think that probably matters more than system.
Plays for Keepers

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:50 am

Ah, cool, I had forgotten about that side-topic!

Mine are on the cusp of 7 and 5, so rules-light would be what I'm aiming for. I've had limited success running through some games of Wrath of Ashardalon, which is kind of 4e D&D in board game format. Aside from that, I'll often do a "choose your own adventure" style story time before bed, making stuff up off of the cuff, but letting them interject with story directions. I want to try to transition to a more formalized setting, but without turning them off with too much crunch. QAGS looks like it might be just the ticket! I'll see if I can interest them in a playtest...

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:26 am

My idea for a show topic. This may have been touched on before and I'm sorry if it has, but what about a segment or group of segments on all the different rules systems that handle the mythos. You could even stretch it out over a bunch of shows and ask the authors of these systems to come on your show and talk about their system.

I think that would be awesome.
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

SamS wrote:My idea for a show topic. This may have been touched on before and I'm sorry if it has, but what about a segment or group of segments on all the different rules systems that handle the mythos. You could even stretch it out over a bunch of shows and ask the authors of these systems to come on your show and talk about their system.

I think that would be awesome.
I like this idea.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

I do too.

Further to that, I'd like to actually play these systems and talk about their workings after some experience. We could talk about something like Macabre Tales, but I feel until I play it, I'd have little to add about its approach.

The Arkham Asylum segment, which I shelved in the run up to GenCon, would be a good forum for chat about alternative rule systems. We've already got an actual play of Tremulus, the Lovecraftian Apocalypse World hack, and I hope to release that with an interview about the system soon.
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:I do too.

Further to that, I'd like to actually play these systems and talk about their workings after some experience. We could talk about something like Macabre Tales, but I feel until I play it, I'd have little to add about its approach.

The Arkham Asylum segment, which I shelved in the run up to GenCon, would be a good forum for chat about alternative rule systems. We've already got an actual play of Tremulus, the Lovecraftian Apocalypse World hack, and I hope to release that with an interview about the system soon.
Dude! We're totally on the same wavelength! I was thinking about Macabre Tales as first-up in the lineup. But, I think it's okay to talk to the creators/authors even if we haven't played the game. Cause that puts us in the same seat as many of the listeners, I'd think. We could ask questions similar to what they may have. I'd think... but maybe not.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:I do too.

Dude! We're totally on the same wavelength! I was thinking about Macabre Tales as first-up in the lineup. But, I think it's okay to talk to the creators/authors even if we haven't played the game. Cause that puts us in the same seat as many of the listeners, I'd think. We could ask questions similar to what they may have. I'd think... but maybe not.
Yeah, same wavelength again. Having designers on the show is a great way to get inside their head before playing, or if we do get to play ahead of time that would make for a rich conversation.

We need to find a good way to replicate the dominoes mechanic online for Macabre tales. Maybe the designers have an idea for that. Is there a Roll20 plugin or something? Maybe it could be created as a deck of cards?
Plays for Keepers