Your ideas for show topics

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Your ideas for show topics

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:21 am

Yep. I'll put it on the list.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:21 pm

I would love to hear you guys talk about sources of inspiration. It seems that I come up with a great idea for a scenario (to me at least), then I get to writing it and get discouraged part-way through. How do you guys stay inspired and where do you get ideas from? (Apart from the awesome history lessons on the podcast)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 pm

That's a good one too. With all these ideas, we'll be going for a good long while.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 am

trevlix wrote:(Apart from the awesome history lessons on the podcast)
Dr. Gerard never misses a compliment. Thanks! :cthulhudance:
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Barl0we
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Barl0we » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:44 am

How about adapting non-Lovecraft horror for use as CoC scenarios? I just sent you guys a voicemail where I mention "The Imago Sequence" by Laird Barron, and I could imagine that specific story turned into a scenario. Indeed, the story reminds me a lot of the titular story of the The Imago Sequence book of short stories :)

There is a Stephen King short story (the name eludes me at the moment) about a man who wanders into an empty field with some disconcerting stone formations, which is one of the most Lovecraftian things King has ever written, in my opinion. I*ll try to look through some of the short story books on my kindle later to see if I can find the title :)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 am

Barl0we wrote:How about adapting non-Lovecraft horror for use as CoC scenarios? I just sent you guys a voicemail where I mention "The Imago Sequence" by Laird Barron, and I could imagine that specific story turned into a scenario. Indeed, the story reminds me a lot of the titular story of the The Imago Sequence book of short stories :)

There is a Stephen King short story (the name eludes me at the moment) about a man who wanders into an empty field with some disconcerting stone formations, which is one of the most Lovecraftian things King has ever written, in my opinion. I*ll try to look through some of the short story books on my kindle later to see if I can find the title :)
I think it's called "N," and it's a graphic novel. It's funny, there are legends up and down the coast of Maine about stones that look like they were placed there, maybe as navigation marks for visiting Vikings.

This is off topic, but check out his son's graphic novel "Locke and Key" for another good Lovecraftian tale.

Also, I like the show idea. Officially seconded.
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:54 am

Yes, great idea for a show topic, and also a great suggestion to check out the Locke & Key comic book series by Stephen's son, Joe Hill. I love that series. Joe is also a fantastic novelist and short story author in his own right. Check out Heart-Shaped Box, Horns, and his book of short stories, 20th Century Ghosts. All great books.

Barl0we
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Barl0we » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote: I think it's called "N," and it's a graphic novel. It's funny, there are legends up and down the coast of Maine about stones that look like they were placed there, maybe as navigation marks for visiting Vikings.

This is off topic, but check out his son's graphic novel "Locke and Key" for another good Lovecraftian tale.

Ah, it *is* N. But I read the story first (hipster bookworm, sorry) :P Cool to see them turning it into a graphic novel thing, I absolutely loved reading the story (I see from the official N story that it's from "Just After Sunset" :) )

I'll definetely have to check out his son's stuff too :)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Barl0we wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote: I think it's called "N," and it's a graphic novel. It's funny, there are legends up and down the coast of Maine about stones that look like they were placed there, maybe as navigation marks for visiting Vikings.

Ah, it *is* N. But I read the story first (hipster bookworm, sorry) :P Cool to see them turning it into a graphic novel thing, I absolutely loved reading the story (I see from the official N story that it's from "Just After Sunset" :) )

I'll definetely have to check out his son's stuff too :)
Yeah, I noticed after I posted that it started as a novella. I grew up in King country, and his books have heavily influenced my taste for horror. My dad used to read Night Shift and Dead Zone to me when we were on camping trips. The picture of a hand with eyes all over it from Night Shift was one of the most terrifying things I saw as a kid. Thanks for the nightmares, Dad and Steve. No, seriously. Thanks.
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:03 pm

I've always thought it would be fun to design a Stephen King horror RPG. I heard someone once joke that if one was made, there would only be one "profession" or character class.

English Teacher.
Plays for Keepers