Your ideas for show topics

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: Your ideas for show topics

Post by Wordcraftian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Wordcraftian wrote:What are your thought's on playing without a written scenario? "Winging it" if you will. The keeper I played with is a Lovecraft fan, and has read the Keeper's Manual, so he knows the creatures and the stats, but he's essentially making up the scenario as we go. Do you feel this can improve the experience for the players or diminish it overall? Why?
Wordcraftian, are you having fun in that scenario? Does the "winging" it diminish your experience at all?
To be honest I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. That being said, I am still learning the process of Tabletop RPGs, so my judgement is somewhat lacking. I am having a blast so far and hope it adapts well to internet chat, but I wonder what the general consensus is.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Zombieneighbours wrote:Perhaps an ep on developing buy in. Why is it that investigators are poking around in dusty libraries rather than running like snot away from these horrors, and how Players and Keepers can work together to generate believable, and enjoyable reasons for the Investigators not to run for the cops.
I like it. Good topic.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 pm

I do too, and of course I still think it would be fun to develop a system or questionnaire as an option to help a group to develop their own investigative organization and mission for a campaign. It's fun to let those things grow organically, but I find that it takes a fair amount of pushing (and contriving), since the PCs often distinguish themselves by pushing disparate agendas. One way to fix that is to start with the premise that they all have a common goal already.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 am

Indeed. We may have to work on something like that. A questionnaire that would help to lead players in the sandboxing of their team. Kinda like a Cthulhu-centric take on the group template put forth by Fear the Boot.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Some words about backgrounds, motivations, family & such wouldn't go a miss, even if the life of a CoC investigator might not be very long. It's not like the background needs to be long, but giving the GM some meat on the bone always helps.
This is why Spiritwolf had little bits of background, even tho I don't expect him to live too long in the meatgrinder.

Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Zombieneighbours » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 am

- Pacing and the construction of Long Term campaigns, how do you keep the investigators from going of the deep end to quickly, and how do you bring in replacements when the Mythos takes it toll.

- Running convention games and one shots, advice for running the 4 hour game. Advice on marking time, making a game not feel rushed and getting the most out of a short game.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Those are excellent ideas, guys. I love it.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Zombieneighbours wrote:- Running convention games and one shots
Yeah, I think SoC could do with help on this one :lol:

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:08 am

I would (for totally selfish reasons) like an episode dedicated to advice for new Keepers,everything from prepping for a CoC game to setting mood and running a game.Any advice at all would be welcome.
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 am

Cthuhugh wrote:I would (for totally selfish reasons) like an episode dedicated to advice for new Keepers,everything from prepping for a CoC game to setting mood and running a game.Any advice at all would be welcome.
I like this topic idea a lot. I think this is totally in our wheelhouse. Dan? Murph? What do you guys think?