Your ideas for show topics

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Your ideas for show topics

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:33 pm

They are also in the queue. ;)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Queue, yes. Hilarious.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I am renown for my dry, sarcastic, offensive humor. It wins me friends everywhere I go.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am

Another brief side topic some of the other new keepers might find insightful as well as interesting to see if the hosts have any additions to it is something I recently found after getting the CoC Keepers Companion Vol.1 where right after the bundle of player commandments (already covered on one of the previous podcasts) is another set by Brian Sammons for the Keeper to remember.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Blightedmarsh
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Blightedmarsh » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:00 pm

In universe Interpretations of the Mythos:

Considering the works of Alan Derleth I hit upon the idea of making the character of Derleth himself a part of the worlds back story. Say you had this character who knew the classics and he comes across the mythos. He interprets what he learns according the framework of his personal world view. So your investigators could come across "The Booke of Daemons" By brother Derleth.

I feel that it would be better to make background information interpretations and hypothesizes the standard rather than outright stated fact. I mean you can't exactly summon up Hastur and ask it for conformation and expect to:

A) Survive the process
B) Get an answer that is both true and comprehensible
C) Remain sane and/or human enough to relay it coherently.

I feel that this gives the keeper and the players much more of a free hand to interpret the mythos for themselves and for the mindset of their own characters.

BTW who are the 'pods biggest rival and what are the odds on the next big game?
The question then shifts to the various cults and mythos creatures. How do the Mi'go or the elder things understand the universe? What do they think of the mythos? Should Shogoths have a san score? And then there is how much they actually know and understand. Would a ghoul know about any "god" other than his own; or understand it as anything other than a god rather than an existential abomination. Could you have a ghoul skeptic?

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:42 pm

New topic idea based on a conversation from the #MiskatonicU IRC channel:

Mistakes you've made as a Keeper (or player)

We've all made mistakes running and/or playing in games. Thats how we learn. I'd love to hear what everyone else's are.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:02 am

trevlix wrote:New topic idea based on a conversation from the #MiskatonicU IRC channel:

Mistakes you've made as a Keeper (or player)

We've all made mistakes running and/or playing in games. Thats how we learn. I'd love to hear what everyone else's are.
+1
Geekery Unbound

Benjamin.wenham
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Benjamin.wenham » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:40 am

The roles of Cats and Music in lovecraft and lovecraftian gaming.

Sent from Carcosa

Shimmin Beg
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Shimmin Beg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:30 pm

I know how much you guys love [s]arguing about[/s] discussing cults, so here's one I've always struggled with - what, as a Keeper, do you do with cults in all that downtime between huge sinister rituals, terrible murders, thefts of relics and other relatively rare events? What can you have cultists doing in downtime between meetings, particularly in terms of things that would help Investigators distinguish them from just anybody else? What clues might they find during the inevitable break-in, assuming that there isn't a cellar for kidnap victims in every single cultist's lair?

How might a cultist go about fishing for converts - like these open-minded and inquisitive strangers who've just turned up in town? Some will deliberately look for converts, others might just accumulate them from waifs and strays who are vulnerable and maybe already a little short on SAN.

Since mostly cultists are depicted as SAN 0, what effect does that have on their behaviour? I've always been hazy on that considering that the cult leaders of scenarios are usually completely lucid and highly intelligent, with no signs of madness. Again, this should be something Investigators might pick up on, but what do they actually get up to?

In short, how can you depict a cult that functions like a living, coherent entity when the players interact with it, rather than just being a couple of set pieces held together with chicken wire and gaffer tape?

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Do you lads have any thoughts on getting the younger generation into pen & paper gaming? It doesn't necessarily have to be Mythos-related, since I'd like to have my kids still be able to sleep through the night, but are there some good entry-level systems or techniques for getting them hooked?