Your ideas for show topics

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: Your ideas for show topics

Post by Wordcraftian » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:06 am

I'm currently listening to back episodes of the Happy Jacks RPG Podcast and a very interesting debate arose concerning the power of persuasion.

The situation that was being discussed involved a player who wanted to roll his persuade skill to convince another player to do something they did not want to do. The GM did not allow it because he claimed it would rob the other player of his character's free will. I would like to hear this topic discussed from a Call of Cthulhu perspective. Do you think the GM made the right call in disallowing the roll? Or should the persuade skill be interpreted differently to avoid allowing a player with an aptitude for persuasion becoming a puppet master of sorts?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:07 am

Wordcraftian wrote:I'm currently listening to back episodes of the Happy Jacks RPG Podcast and a very interesting debate arose concerning the power of persuasion.

The situation that was being discussed involved a player who wanted to roll his persuade skill to convince another player to do something they did not want to do. The GM did not allow it because he claimed it would rob the other player of his character's free will. I would like to hear this topic discussed from a Call of Cthulhu perspective. Do you think the GM made the right call in disallowing the roll? Or should the persuade skill be interpreted differently to avoid allowing a player with an aptitude for persuasion becoming a puppet master of sorts?
I like this idea. I'll see about getting it into the show's schedule.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 am

Wordcraftian wrote:I'm currently listening to back episodes of the Happy Jacks RPG Podcast and a very interesting debate arose concerning the power of persuasion.

Good topic. I always treat this as a special situation, and one with great dramatic potential. My policy has always been that a player is not bound by the results of any social skill mechanic used against them by another player -- unless they want to be bound by those results. I present it as an opportunity to have some fun. If they want to use mechanics, they can make up whatever criteria they want to, as long as it's honored in the end. If you think your character could be persuaded in this situation, and you want to see what the dice say, then we'll roll and find out. If you are sure your character would not be persuaded (or intimidated, or fast-talked, or charmed, or seduced etc.), then they are not. In the situation above, I would not allow a skill roll against the resistant character. But I might present a few options to pique curiosity. If dice or mechanics are used, I ask ahead of time if they are agreeing to be bound by the result, or if they just want to see what happens. If they agree to observe a mechanic ahead of time, I expect them to abide by the result. If they just want to see what the dice say, but they don't to be bound to it, they don't have to be.

Thus, the contract is between the two players, and as the GM I'm just enforcing the contract. I've even seen some fun negotiations, like where a player said she may only be persuaded on an "impale" result, or in another case if she fails an INT check. Two of my players once resolved a Fast Talk PVP situation with a "best of three" shootout in rock-paper-scissors. They were both old Vampire the Masquerade players, so that's how they felt most comfortable resolving it.

And as far as the role play, I try not to meddle with how the result is executed. I've never had a problem with this method, and most of the time I find it adds to the fun.

I'd love to get this into our topic lineup. I guess I've said what I wanted to say about it here, but it would make for interesting discussion.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

JanitorJon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by JanitorJon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 pm

On the last podcast you did a call out for listener content. I've always thought that a short section that looks at what you can use as free or cheap resource to add atmosphere and enjoy ability within play.

I suppose this comes about as a result of all the many resources that are now available for the game (Which is great) but can be both a drain on resources for keepers and sometimes distract from the story telling elements of RPG. (Stopping at a exciting part to consult some compendium).

Ideas include: use of props, scrapbook to show progress, free resources, CoC old editions, games within games, music, lighting, involving players before sessions and writing your own scenarios.

Happy to be involved in podcast or simply puting forward the ideas.

Jonathan :fhtagn:

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:41 pm

PincRmovement wrote:On the last podcast you did a call out for listener content. I've always thought that a short section that looks at what you can use as free or cheap resource to add atmosphere and enjoy ability within play.

I suppose this comes about as a result of all the many resources that are now available for the game (Which is great) but can be both a drain on resources for keepers and sometimes distract from the story telling elements of RPG. (Stopping at a exciting part to consult some compendium).

Ideas include: use of props, scrapbook to show progress, free resources, CoC old editions, games within games, music, lighting, involving players before sessions and writing your own scenarios.

Happy to be involved in podcast or simply puting forward the ideas.

Jonathan :fhtagn:
Although we haven't had one in a few episodes now, we do just this (I think unless I am completely misunderstanding your point which is possible) in our Card Catalog segments. This is a short segment where we list a particular resource that is helpful to Keppers and/or Players. If I am off the mark on this please let me know.

Keeper Murph

JanitorJon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by JanitorJon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:47 pm

As a new listener might have missed this section .... I will go back through the old eps. Do I just post my ideas here?

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 pm

PincRmovement wrote:As a new listener might have missed this section .... I will go back through the old eps. Do I just post my ideas here?
Yes please. Post 'em here.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:50 pm

PincRmovement wrote:As a new listener might have missed this section .... I will go back through the old eps. Do I just post my ideas here?
I'll make sure we have one for the next show. Althoguh our main topic could be seen as a Card Catalog segment extended beyond comprehension. Yeah and just post them here is fine.

<Jon beat me!>

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 pm

You've definitely found the right place to share ideas, PincRmovement. Please feel free to share more! Topics, segments, questions, whatever! More!

As for your idea for cheap resources, while Murph is correct that we share useful websites on the Card Catalog segment that has dropped out of our last few episodes, your idea is much broader than just websites. You're including things like old editions, props, scrapbooks and other trappings to boost game enjoyment. In general, how to make the most of horror gaming on the cheap, right?

Do you have the ability to record stuff for us to use? Any chance you would want to turn this into a 5-minute spot for the show? If so, do you have any ideas for names for the segment? Maybe something related to Miskatonic University?

If not, we could easily turn this into a topic for a future episode anyway.

-- [edit] hah! Three hosts responded at the same time. Hilarious.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:You've definitely found the right place to share ideas, PincRmovement. Please feel free to share more! Topics, segments, questions, whatever! More!

As for your idea for cheap resources, while Murph is correct that we share useful websites on the Card Catalog segment that has dropped out of our last few episodes, your idea is much broader than just websites. You're including things like old editions, props, scrapbooks and other trappings to boost game enjoyment. In general, how to make the most of horror gaming on the cheap, right?

Do you have the ability to record stuff for us to use? Any chance you would want to turn this into a 5-minute spot for the show? If so, do you have any ideas for names for the segment? Maybe something related to Miskatonic University?

If not, we could easily turn this into a topic for a future episode anyway.

-- [edit] hah! Three hosts responded at the same time. Hilarious.
I think he is asking for ideas himself? How about the Miskatonic Folk Arts Department?