Your ideas for show topics

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Barl0we
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Your ideas for show topics

Post by Barl0we » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:I've always thought it would be fun to design a Stephen King horror RPG. I heard someone once joke that if one was made, there would only be one "profession" or character class.

English Teacher.
Well statistically, if you were transported into a King story, you'd become an English Teacher :twisted:

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Barl0we wrote:Well statistically, if you were transported into a King story, you'd become an English Teacher :twisted:
Zactly.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Bringing this thread back to show topics (after derailing it), I'd like to throw out my own Main Topic idea and...er...see if anyone salutes it.

This goes back to a question I asked long ago...

Pulp vs. Purist

This seems like a deep well of discussion points for all of the show hosts, and I think it would be very useful to new keepers and experienced ones alike.

I'd see this not so much as a question of "which one is better," but a discussion of what each of them means, the infinite gradient between the two, why we have our particular personal tastes, and how best to achieve the mood and story type you're aiming for.

It strikes me that K. Dan and K. Jon are perhaps closer to the Pulp end of the spectrum, while K. Murph and Dr. G. are closer to the Purist edge. Thus, it might actually be good to try to schedule all four voices for that possible episode, if that doesn't crowd the audio channel too much.

I'm posting this publicly to gauge interest among our dedicated forum-goers. Is this a good idea? Would it be useful? Or has this perhaps already been covered too much on this podcast as well as other media?
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:30 pm

trevlix wrote:I would love to hear you guys talk about sources of inspiration. It seems that I come up with a great idea for a scenario (to me at least), then I get to writing it and get discouraged part-way through. How do you guys stay inspired and where do you get ideas from? (Apart from the awesome history lessons on the podcast)
Just going back over some of these ideas, and I have to say this one would be incredibly fun to hear/talk about. No matter how new or experienced a Keeper is, it's always great to hear about the creative process of other Keepers.
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm

I've begun getting more and more interested in play-by-post Lovecraftian games over the past year or two. I've been fortunate enough to play in two PBP CoC games so far, and am currently running one of my own. As I've mentioned before in other threads, I'm continually struck by how well investigative/horror roleplaying games lend themselves to the play-by-post format. The ability to leverage the Internet for the sharing of visual aids, maps, and highly-detailed character and narrative information can make for an exceptionally rich role playing experience if the players and keepers are invested in the game. Nothing beats live play, of course, and the thrill of sitting down at a table (virtual or real) with other players cannot be wholly replicated by other media. All the same, if my own experience is at all common, I suspect that a lot of would-be players miss out on gaming opportunities altogether because they've never been introduced to the play-by-post format, or know too little about how it can work for CoC and related games.

I'd love to see an MU Podcast episode that focuses on PBP Lovecraftian gaming -- examples, sound techniques, best practices, liabilities and drawbacks, that sort of thing. Dr. Gerard would be an excellent lead moderator for such a discussion, especially given the fact that several of us on the forum participate in his "Secret Everest" pbp -- a fine example of how it works in action. Just a thought.

Cheers -

Michael
Last edited by Scriven on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Michael good idea. I know nothing about PBP but the other guys do.

alpope23
Freshman
Freshman

Post by alpope23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm

how about a segment added to the show each episode to highlight some online resource that people may be unaware of. Before finding your podcast I had no idea of the propmakers and their websites!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:53 pm

alpope23 wrote:how about a segment added to the show each episode to highlight some online resource that people may be unaware of. Before finding your podcast I had no idea of the propmakers and their websites.
It's what we do! Really like the "resource of the week" idea, alpope. I'll bring it up at the next staff meeting.

(We don't really have staff meetings.)
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm

alpope23 wrote:how about a segment added to the show each episode to highlight some online resource that people may be unaware of. Before finding your podcast I had no idea of the propmakers and their websites!
Good idea. I see no reason something like this can't be added. It wouldn't take much time to talk about a resource.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:29 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:
alpope23 wrote:how about a segment added to the show each episode to highlight some online resource that people may be unaware of. Before finding your podcast I had no idea of the propmakers and their websites!
Good idea. I see no reason something like this can't be added. It wouldn't take much time to talk about a resource.
Yeah, and it would be super useful. I could even make up a little bumper, if you think it warrants one.
Plays for Keepers