Topic quest: Lovecraft wrote what he feared

Questions, comments, quips, criticisms, suggestions & compliments regarding the podcast and this forum.
Shimmin Beg
Sophmore
Sophmore
Topic quest: Lovecraft wrote what he feared

Post by Shimmin Beg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:18 pm

So I'm driving myself slightly round the bend trying to remember where I heard something. I'm 99.9% sure it was an episode of MUP so I'm hoping the other alumni can put me right.

I don't remember the title, main topic or even what the segment was about! What I do remember was that discussion of HPLs attitudes became necessary, and after a certain amount of discussion, one of the hosts said something along the lines that although his attitudes were really problematic, HPL wrote effective stories by harnessing his own discomfort and fear, and translating that into weird fiction where the narrator's feelings felt believable. I'd really like to listen to it again, and although I can plough back through the archives, a hint would be welcome.

The episode must have been out by December 2014, but it could have been released any time that year, as I had a massive backlog due to taking a break from Lovecraftian stuff. I remember listening to that exchange walking past Jousei Junior High one evening and it inspired me with a short story that I still haven't quite finished (boo). I'd guess it was actually out by mid-late autumn given the weather conditions. Yeah, I remember everything except the stuff that would be useful.

So yeah, I'll find it eventually, but if anyone can tip me off, that'd be great!

Come on you Pods!

Shimmin Beg
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Topic quest: Lovecraft wrote what he feared

Post by Shimmin Beg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Hmm, after much re-listening, I suspect this was actually the HPLLP episode on Medusa's Coil. There's a little less to the discussion than I seemed to remember, but that's probably nostalgia talking.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Topic quest: Lovecraft wrote what he feared

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:07 am

I do think I remember this being raised at some point on the show. It wasn't a main topic, but a side thought about something that spurred it. Sadly, I have no idea how to zero in and proove this.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers