Deep Ones

Discussion of existing creatures, and original ones you create. Natural or fantastical, all are welcome to go under the microscope for science.
Silvester10596
Freshman
Freshman
Deep Ones

Post by Silvester10596 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 am

I think they were talking about Deep Ones on the podcast last week, but it might have been on another I listen to...

It was an interesting discussion about the various forms and appearances and how to use them in game and I was hoping to see some expansion on the topic.

On the HPPodcraft.com they had a lot of funny takes on Deep Ones and how maybe they looked like Don Knotts, Steve Buscemi or Torey Spelling and I can't get those images out of my mind.

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior
Re: Deep Ones

Post by Wordcraftian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:21 pm

The deep ones have always been among my favorites in terms of Lovecraftian baddies. There's something simply twisted about the way they blend with normal American life at early ages, just long enough to breed... Then there's the fact that some of them may not even know what they are or what they're destined for. The slow and tragic transformation begins. First you just look sickly, then, even if you were an attractive person, you can kiss your looks goodbye. As the "Innsmouth look" develops you turn into a shut in, forsaking friends, work, family, and any semblance of a social life you might have had. Doctor's can't help. You're stuck. Stuck and alone. Until you hear the summons of the reef, then you face the possibility that you could be going insane. Delusions begin, and the water calls. Finally you are forced to give in and leave your life behind for good, joining the ranks of a race you thought impossible.

The creatures in this case are not the primary source of terror, I think, but the concept of change and utter inevitability. Imagine puberty as an adult, only about a hundred times worse and no internet articles to help educate yourself with. You don't know what's happening, but it's forcing you to leave everything you love behind and making you plunge headfirst into a world you know nothing about. And that's what's horrifying to me about the Deep Ones.

Zombieneighbours
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Zombieneighbours » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 am

Hi guys,

Yes, chaosium did publish a deep one centric campaign. It was "Escape from Innsmouth" and was made up of a really in depth sand box of Innsmouth detailing hundreds of locations within the town, as well as two adventures. These are escape from innsmouth and The raid on innsmouth.

The escape from Innsmouth which is a short investigation and then a flight from Innsmouth once the Investigators are aware of the towns secret.

The raid is a sprawling, and very combat heavy scenario in which the investigators from "escape" return to the town with the coastguard, FBI and Marines, to act as advisor to the authorities as they raid the town.

Despite a set up that might make one think pulp, the scenarios are remarkably purist. Sure, there are explosions and tommy guns, but there is a strong strand of body horror that runs through the scenario and the sheer potential for death and destruction of show our helplessness against the forces of the Mythos.

armitage's_interne
Freshman
Freshman

Post by armitage's_interne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm running the Armitage Files right now for ToC and the investigators encountered deep ones in kingsport early on in our campaign now they are in the bayou tracking down a gang of bank robbers mentioned in the files. the robbers are in a backwater little burg that is controlled by inbred deep ones that are more related to crocodiles than there Atlantic counterparts. I described the first time they showed up as the players are in a boat when the spy a head of a crocodile peeking out of the water the players just ignore it and go on then more show up surround the boat and rise to their full height.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm

armitage's_interne wrote:I'm running the Armitage Files right now for ToC and the investigators encountered deep ones in kingsport early on in our campaign now they are in the bayou tracking down a gang of bank robbers mentioned in the files. the robbers are in a backwater little burg that is controlled by inbred deep ones that are more related to crocodiles than there Atlantic counterparts. I described the first time they showed up as the players are in a boat when the spy a head of a crocodile peeking out of the water the players just ignore it and go on then more show up surround the boat and rise to their full height.
Croc Deep Ones is a great idea, especially because of the way they poke eyes and noses just a little out of the water to watch! Creepy!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers