original creatures?

Discussion of existing creatures, and original ones you create. Natural or fantastical, all are welcome to go under the microscope for science.

what creatures do your investigators encounter?

mythos creatures from the rulebook or published adventure material
40%
some typical mythos creatures, some invented
60%
they've never seen so much as a mi-go, everything's custom
No votes

Total votes: 5

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor
original creatures?

Post by hastur » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:11 am

how many keepers stick to the usual gamut of creatures and unspeakable things of the cthulhu mythos, versus inventing their own?
if you invent your own, how do you go about doing it?
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

i survived the Post GenCon Random Bizarre BS episode

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: original creatures?

Post by hastur » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:47 am

i suppose i should start with something more.

in a game like call of cthulhu, based on an extremely strong background of source material, it may be impossible to run a game without some mythos creatures. even in those stories which might be expected to stand on their own, apart from the known mythos and with wholly invented things lurking in the shadows, lovecraft often refers to mythos-creatures-not-appearing-in-this-story with a measure of abandon which suggests that the reach of cthulhu and his kind cannot be escaped, even by the author.

in my own games, i tend to use the common bestiary of the mythos, to keep with the flavor and language of the setting, but altered. firstly, because investigators should never know what they're up against. secondly, because its a vast and alien cosmos, and things which do not fit neatly into boxes also keeps with the flavor and language of the setting. and lastly, because i don't actually like some of the mythos creatures very much, and as keeper am free to correct the errors in their conception.

i'd like to invent more creatures, but they always seem to end up being variations on the mythos in the end.
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm

If you have not yet, read Stealing Cthulhu. It sounds like its right up your alley.

I have created a few "original" mythos creatures, but while they are unique unto themselves, I tend to steal the stats from creatures already stat'd up. Its just easier that way for me.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

hastur
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by hastur » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:42 pm

trevlix wrote:If you have not yet, read Stealing Cthulhu. It sounds like its right up your alley.
i have, and it has some excellent advice for where i feel i've already been.
say it three times, girl
there's no tomorrow
and there's no today
say it three times
i'm not far away