Bigfoot or is it?

Discussion of existing creatures, and original ones you create. Natural or fantastical, all are welcome to go under the microscope for science.
Dysturbed
Freshman
Freshman
Bigfoot or is it?

Post by Dysturbed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Im planning to do a adventure called "Finding Sasquatch" which will be a complete and total ripoff of the finding bigfoot tv show. Complete with crazy NPC's ect.
The problem is can it ever really be that simple you go out in the woods and find Sasquatch what a crappy adventure right? What if instead they are seeking to find bigfoot and instead find a nasty mythos monster instead thinking they are going after bigfoot of course they will be "armed for bear" as the saying goes but not armed for cosmic horror!

Im having trouble coming up with something that would be similar enough to bigfoot as in would create some of the same signs. Or even better some kind of trickster that just strait out tricks them into it's evil web.

I'm thinking the game would be like cold war era so we don't have folks running around with a bunch of video cameras and microphones ect. Though that could be fun to kill off the crew members in the middle of the night ect lol. Game could easily go for the modern though and pull from some of the Delta Green Rules course our adventurers won't be in the military. They are bigfoot researchers and maybe a native guide or something.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: Bigfoot or is it?

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:10 pm

How about a Son of Yog-Sothoth or a Wendigo?
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Wendigo or some variant thereof would be what I would use.

Dysturbed
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Dysturbed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I got to looking into the Call of Cthulhu Keepers Companion: Blasphemous Knowledge, Forbidden Secrets
It gave me some more background on some more stuff.

There is the Voormis (Sasquatch) actually has a spell called Contact Ithaqua (CoC Windigo). So maybe they really could find the Sasquatch but get WAY more than they bargained for.

Though a strait up story about the Windigo similar to what is in the Algernon Blackwood story.
Not to mention terrifying... :fhtagn:

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:49 am

If still working on this or others are curious about it. There was a great Ken & Robin Talk About Stuff episode (#61) where they talk about digital mapping of things like cemeteries where you are compiling data of some archeology sites to do more than just make a map but something like that would work for story hooks. To sum up their excellent discussion on it, just come up with a rather dull story hook then the monster/real story event pops up or you could copy what happens with Whisperer in Darkness where a npc mentor/friend of the player characters is harassed by something needing the players help (or something more mundane like a wedding/party).

Speaking of Whisperer you can always make bigfoots out of normal people with mi-go or cult experiments on them, that or ghoul alteration could do nice apart from what was listed in the post by others.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Dysturbed
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Dysturbed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:13 pm

I have kinda scrapped the idea for something bigger actually. Im going to do a bit of a conversion to do a more pulp game in the monster hunter international world instead not for publication but If it goes well with my group I may end up running a few online games of it also.