MU Podcast 076 - Wrasslin' with Bloodsucking Monkeys

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor
Re: MU Podcast 076 - Wrasslin' with Bloodsucking Monkeys

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:02 pm

EddyPo wrote:
Keeper Jon wrote:I also wrote Deliver Me From Evil, a vampire scenario set in New Orleans in the 1920s. This scenario was a digital stretch goal in Golden Goblin Press' Tales of the Crescent City. The stretch goal is called Legends of New Orleans, and it's not available for sale on the GGP site, so I can't link you to it.
Did this stretch goal already go to backers? I don't remember getting it.
I don't know. I had assumed so, but I'm not sure.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 am

Great episode again.

Good discussion on the 7th ed combat rules.

Murph was correct - the fighting back/dodge aspect did cause some confusion initially during our game. But it was handled quickly and we got back into the swing of things, with Murph losing many SAN and HP. :)
Keeper Jon wrote:
EddyPo wrote:Did this stretch goal already go to backers? I don't remember getting it.
I don't know. I had assumed so, but I'm not sure.
Not yet. In a recent update to De Horrore Cosmico, GGP said Legends of New Orleans will go to layout after DHC is completed.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

SamS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by SamS » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Wow now that was entertainment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are great!

Sam
Sam Stamps
Keeper of my own little reality.

WinstonP
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by WinstonP » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:This just in.
Brian Courtemanche wrote a scenario inspired by the New England Vampire Panic called "Grave Secrets" in a book called Terrors From Beyond. I didn't know about it when I did the segment, though it's still a fertile topic for game ideas.

We also missed some vampire scenarios.

"The Starshrine" in Lurking Fears, and "Remains to be Seen" in Coming Full Circle.
And "The Unsealed Room" in Secrets!

Blightedmarsh
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Blightedmarsh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Yeah I second the return of the six word story. For me was easily the single best main topic you ever did. You wouldn't want to do it big too often as I expect you could become fatigued of it quite quickly.

It could make a good forum game where we build a scenario together.

As to the issue of children in lovecraftian games. Disney has successfully sugar coated fairy tales and helped convince us that children are best wrapped up in cotton wool. Have you read the old fairy tales? They are horrifying and deeply disturbing. You have grotesque violence, body horror, incest, implied rape, abduction, death and above all the threat of spiritual and moral corruption. I think they like how outlandish some of the fates that get meted out to the characters really are and they don't care for a lot of the more subtle horror.

Examples...

...in some versions sleeping beauty is woken by the son she bore her "prince charming" who is in fact already married to a cannable/ogre. Who then commits suicide by diving into a vat of magic snakes. The prince then celibates by marrying his bit on the side and burning most of his court alive.

...the ugly step sisters mutilate their own feet to get the glass slipper on and have their eyes pecked out by birds.

the list goes on and on...and on. Yeah fairy tales often don't end well for the characters involved; much like a call of cthulhu investigation.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Well this started off as the test your sanity loss in audio format.

Agreed about Darkplane, it does seem like it's just dark fantasy with some foolish writing. Though it sounds like they haven't played it at all from the rest of that block of text. The part at the bottom where 6th or 7th ed isn't compatible with this D&D d20 setting/system, is quite obvious. Without the 5th edition of Call of Cthulhu, it would be quite hellish to convert a simple d100% system to the complex multidice of D&D. Also I've been in campaign & one shot games where I died a lot due to it being in a wartime setting but others where we played smart & at the most there was some sanity loss & a few broken bones but everyone made it out relatively okay. While I'm all for horror RPGs, Ravenloft was a good settting but it worked more in fiction than in games with D&D as many of the bigger things in Ravenloft were only dismissed or trapped but never really defeated & with the game being so rules heavy that it constantly took me out of the environment of dread when every few minutes game mechanics were getting thrown at me & D&D overall still being rather light on the fear of character death with all the magic possibilities to just bring people back.

In opposition to that thought, the Ravenloft fiction is quite fun and that the monsters in the Ravenloft monster manuals are full of great ideas for monsters in Call/Trail of Cthulhu especially in the Dreamlands games. With monsters being rather easy to put together in Call of Cthulhu, there's a few that will really leave your players guessing what they're up against.

For the vampires alternatives to mix into Call of Cthulhu, there's one episode of Buck Rodgers from the 1980s tv show or the movie Lifeforce plus the section in Night's Black Agents on the alien version of vampires where some mythos infection just completely altered someone to fitting some parasite/vampire. Speaking of Gumshoe, Ken Hite took a mythos spin on classic universal settings/monsters with the Trail of Cthulhu book Shadows over Filmland.

Agreed too with the remake of Nosferatu, great music & old world visuals in that one. For me it's a lot of the Dracula films from the Hammer studios fun stuff plus good clever ways of writing up a sequel to many of them when they killed him off in the previous one & fun ways to bring him back.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:32 am

KeeperMurph wrote:I would just like to mention how glorious the art for this episode is. Well done Dan! :cthulhudance:
Happened to be taking a big swig of my coffee when I saw Dan's cover art - and promptly suffered a total breakdown in the coordination of a number of bodily reflexes involving swallowing and explosive exhalation. My wife, sitting at the breakfast table across from me, was not best pleased.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Scriven wrote:
KeeperMurph wrote:I would just like to mention how glorious the art for this episode is. Well done Dan! :cthulhudance:
Happened to be taking a big swig of my coffee when I saw Dan's cover art - and promptly suffered a total breakdown in the coordination of a number of bodily reflexes involving swallowing and explosive exhalation. My wife, sitting at the breakfast table across from me, was not best pleased.
Win.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Sorry about that Scriven!

*not really* :lol:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by caddy1071 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 am

HA! Catching up with a few eps because of crazy work times and THOROUGHLY enjoyed this ep. You guys have the humor and chemistry to really bring a smile to my face. We've booked our place for Necronomicon 2015, so I do request to be invited to the seedy warehouse where the Murph/Spider Monkey Chad showdown will take place. :p

Great show guys, very entertaining and informative - Entirely missed the "alternate character creation rules" for using different spends for different occupations - looking forward to reading up on that!

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound