MU Podcast 076 - Wrasslin' with Bloodsucking Monkeys

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 076 - Wrasslin' with Bloodsucking Monkeys

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:43 am

In Episode 76, Dan, Murph and Chad (Jon tried, but the digital gremlins got the best of him) take a bite out of a non-Mythos monster in the latest installment of the Bestiary. We also wrestle with some more new rules in 7th Edition's combat section. This episode was recorded on April 5, 2015.

Campus Crier
  • An update on the GenCon situation and the boycott of Indiana for passing the “religious freedom” bill:
  • Darkplane: Hmm...a new “horror” setting for 5E D&D, with Lovecraft influences.
  • A couple of interesting articles from Dan Harms about the history of the game and a perceived split between original intent and a period RPG. Call of Cthulhu Where We Went Wrong, Part 1 and Part 2.
  • Sense Impacts by Chad Fifer is awesome. Put it in your ear holes.
  • Darwin Kastle's "Cthulhu Realms," a Cthulhu-cartoon card game that shows some promise.
The Rulebook, Investigator Handbook, and Keeper Screen pack are all at print. We are still expecting delivery sometime in May.

We're confident that files for the Rulebook and Investigator Handbook are now clear of typos so are sending these for PDF bookmarking. We will advise you once the files are ready to be downloaded from our site.

As mentioned a couple of updates ago, we were not happy with the art for the Weapons and Artifacts Card Deck, so we've had all of card illustrations redone. These have all been received now and Nick has been placing the art on the cards. The illustrations, by Marco Morte, show the various damage-dealing implements and Mythos artifacts in use. You can see some examples here.
  • Kansas City Comic Con will be held August 7-9. Keeper Jon will be the Games Coordinator for the con, and was able to get James M. Ward as a gaming guest. Jim Ward was part of the group of guys at the epicenter of the creation of D&D. Jim wrote the original Deities & Demigods book, Metamorphosis Alpha game, and the Gamma World game.

Podcast News
We've passed our 3 year anniversary! So many memories...

We've launched a Joyride campaign for listeners who want to contribute to the show and help keep it going.

Also, our downloads page is up and running again.

We got a voicemail from forum-goer Storyteller, who suggests topics to cover in future episodes: how to encourage children in gaming, and a requestto return to our 6-word scenario building idea from eons ago. Thanks, Storyteller!

Dr. Gerard Lecture - The New England Vampire Panic
This week, we've got a new lecture -- the first in many weeks -- to go with our vampire Bestiary side topic. This week's lecture topic: Mercy Lena Brown and the New England Vampire Panic. That is not the name of our new shoe-gazer rock band. But it should be.

Here's more about the exhumations from Michael Bell.

Cryptocurium Spotlight
Check out this cool new product from our sponsor: the Cthulhu Idol Magnet.
Here are the magnets Dan has from Cryptocurium above his monitor at home.

The Bestiary
Vampires in the Mythos:

Joseph Curwen in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

The Shunned House has a life-draining thing in it.

The Outsider has the narrator discovering that he is a living corpse.

The Hound features a pair of grave robbers stumbling upon a curious skeleton which comes back to life and takes revenge. (Skeleton vampire? Let's call this an edge case.)

Vampires in gaming:

Night's Black Agents, from Amazon or DriveThru RPG

Vampires in Podcasting:

The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast covers Dracula in episodes 247-250

Ken Hite’s first KARTAS segment on Night’s Black Agents

Monster Talk: Fangs that go Bump in the Night

Vampires in Film:

Nosferatu

Nosferatu the Vampire from 1979

Dracula (1977)

The Hunger

Vampire’s Kiss

Let the Right One In (also Let Me In)

30 Days of Night

Salem’s Lot

Vampire B-Movies:

Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter (1974)

The Playgirls and the Vampire "A feckless troupe of European exotic dancers and their piano player led by a bumbling manager stumble upon a castle after encountering a ferocious storm."

Planet of the Vampires (Italian: Terrore Nello Spazio) "Planet of the bloodless! In this outer-space world, the living dead try to escape into life!" Trailer and Full Movie.

Atom Age Vampire, Trailer and Full Movie

Early Classic Gothic Sources:

Vampyr, a 1819 short story by Lord Byron's doctor, John Polidori -- or maybe Lord Byron, depending on who you ask. Both of them rejected credit.

There's also Sheridan Le Fanu's vampire novella Carmilla.

Vampires in Call of Cthulhu Scenarios:

Blood Brothers

Blood Brothers II

Bumps in the Night

Horror on the Orient Express

Goatswood

Pagan Call I and II

Check out Kevin Ross's article on vampires in Call of Cthulhu in Dragon Magazine #162 “Hammer & Stake

I am Legend

The Strain (TV series)

Jenglot, the blood-sucking Indonesian doll vampire

Main Topic
More on combat rules:

Fighting Maneuvers (105)

Striking the First Blow (Surprise) (106)

Being Outnumbered (108)

Escaping Close Combat (108)
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MU Podcast 076 - Wrasslin' with Bloodsucking Monkeys

Post by Graham » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 am

The download button on the current episode does not seem to be working. I'd also like to throw in another interesting B-Movie vampire appearance:

Black Sabbath (IT 1963/US 1964)

Aside from being Boris Karloff's only appearance as a vampire, it also led to the greatest 'what if' in Lovecraftian film history, had things worked out differently, Karloff and Mario Bava might have gone on to make 'The Dunwich Horror'......
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:48 pm

Graham wrote:The download button on the current episode does not seem to be working.
Graham, where are you seeing this? I don't notice an issue on the site at all.

3rik
Freshman
Freshman

Post by 3rik » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 pm

There's no download button. The same happened with the previous episode when it was put up, but it was fixed later on.
RPGbericht(Dutch)

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

3rik wrote:There's no download button. The same happened with the previous episode when it was put up, but it was fixed later on.
Sorry guys. I found it and added the link to download the episode. Please forgive the exclusion. :cthulhu1:

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:10 am

This just in.
Brian Courtemanche wrote a scenario inspired by the New England Vampire Panic called "Grave Secrets" in a book called Terrors From Beyond. I didn't know about it when I did the segment, though it's still a fertile topic for game ideas.

We also missed some vampire scenarios.

"The Starshrine" in Lurking Fears, and "Remains to be Seen" in Coming Full Circle.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:47 am

I also wrote Deliver Me From Evil, a vampire scenario set in New Orleans in the 1920s. This scenario was a digital stretch goal in Golden Goblin Press' Tales of the Crescent City. The stretch goal is called Legends of New Orleans, and it's not available for sale on the GGP site, so I can't link you to it.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:18 pm

I would just like to mention how glorious the art for this episode is. Well done Dan! :cthulhudance:

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:31 pm

KeeperMurph wrote:I would just like to mention how glorious the art for this episode is. Well done Dan! :cthulhudance:
Yeah... that art is freaking me out. Big time. Murf kinda looks like a mugatu!

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Keeper Jon wrote:I also wrote Deliver Me From Evil, a vampire scenario set in New Orleans in the 1920s. This scenario was a digital stretch goal in Golden Goblin Press' Tales of the Crescent City. The stretch goal is called Legends of New Orleans, and it's not available for sale on the GGP site, so I can't link you to it.
Did this stretch goal already go to backers? I don't remember getting it.
Not a hack!