MU Podcast 074 - Uncommonly Commonplace

Discussion about podcast episodes
Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Re: MU Podcast 074 - Uncommonly Commonplace

Post by Scott Dorward » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Just had a chance to catch up with the episode, and thanks for the #whenattractfishgoeswrong shout-out! Letting people know the risks of this apparently innocuous spell is an important public service.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 am

It's for the public good. We must raise awareness. We must staunch the tide of attracting fish. Attract fish responsibly. Use a hook and pole.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:43 am

I played the segment to Paul Fricker tonight. He buried his face in his hands and made keening sounds. I would take this as a sure indicator of success.

KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by KeeperAntUK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am

Friends don't let friends attract fish whilst under external influence ...

Was the 'keening' noise from Paul a demonstration of the spells vocal component ? The burying of the face in the hands could be an autonomic reaction to prevent damage to the casters face from salt water .. Or multiple piscine impacts !

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:59 pm

KeeperAntUK wrote:Was the 'keening' noise from Paul a demonstration of the spells vocal component ? The burying of the face in the hands could be an autonomic reaction to prevent damage to the casters face from salt water .. Or multiple piscine impacts !
Hmm... The way he banged his head on the table did have a certain rhythmic aspect.

KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by KeeperAntUK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Scott Dorward wrote:
KeeperAntUK wrote:Was the 'keening' noise from Paul a demonstration of the spells vocal component ? The burying of the face in the hands could be an autonomic reaction to prevent damage to the casters face from salt water .. Or multiple piscine impacts !
Hmm... The way he banged his head on the table did have a certain rhythmic aspect.
Truly those that would pay obeisance to Dark Powers .... albeit of the piscatorially inclined nature .... only hurt themselves ...

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:58 am

I thought I'd add another tip'o the hat to M.R. James having found his 1931 essay on horror stories entitled "Ghosts... Treat Them Gently", aside from outlining James's ideas on plotting (Something all Keepers may wish to look at in scenario writing.) it includes his opinion on 'Weird Tales' style fiction, which I quote in full...
There is a series of books I have read, I think American in origin, called Not at Night (and with other like titles), which sin glaringly against this law. They have no other aim than that of Mr Wardle’s Fat Boy.

Of course, all writers of ghost stories do desire to make their readers' flesh creep; but these are shameless in their attempts. They are unbelievably crude and sudden, and they wallow in corruption. And if there is a theme that ought to be kept out of the ghost story, it is that of the charnel house. That and sex...
M. R. James, Ghosts... Treat Them Gently, Evening News, 17 April, 1931

Full text at:

http://www.roberthood.net/obsesses/trea ... gently.htm

Now for a minor piece of clarity, the Not at Night series, which was in fact a British series, comprised a mixture of original fiction and stories reprinted from 'Weird Tales', which included stories by Robert Bloch, H. P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith et al.

The link below is to the M. R. James podcast reading of the article:

http://www.mrjamespodcast.com/2012/09/r ... em-gently/
Last edited by Graham on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 am

Ohhh great find, thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:Ohhh great find, thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I thought so too, the advice in the article is also good for scenario writers. Now onto something else I have found. This is on a site I have submitted for inclusion in the Card File, but it serves as a sample of the wonders therein. The quote below comes from a short novel ("Professor Brankel's Secret") by Melbourne (Victoria) based writer Fergus Hume (Wikipedia):
...I am in space, the center of the... great wheel of the universe...around throng nebulous masses of worlds...and the heaving mass of fire, is this the earth?...I stand before the portals of creation.. Open... God... Fire... Chaos...
The entire novel can be found at:

https://gothictexts.wordpress.com/2015/ ... cret-1886/
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.