MU Podcast 073 - Gaming Through the Ages

Discussion about podcast episodes
fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MU Podcast 073 - Gaming Through the Ages

Post by fox01313 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Big thanks to the recommendation on Mansions of Madness. After getting it, it's quite fun once I found a 3 column magic box for holding the cards+sleeves for the core game plus most of the expansions (and sandwich bags with the small cards also sleeved). Only real drawback/warning is that I'd have liked Fantasy Flight to have put the monster cards in the bases. Some of the bigger bases were easy to get the cards in without a problem but the bulk of the small ones I was having to push one monster card in with another to get it in so either Fantasy Flight to put those in the base in the future or make that cardboard a little thinner to be able to put them in.

Tip for players looking into getting into Mansions of Madness, stick together if possible & as the games I've played/run so far, having the investigators running back & forth along the house with clues when they split up (where one found the special lock & the other found the key) ate up time when the event timer was clicking down.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:04 am

fox01313 wrote:Big thanks to the recommendation on Mansions of Madness. After getting it, it's quite fun once I found a 3 column magic box for holding the cards+sleeves for the core game plus most of the expansions (and sandwich bags with the small cards also sleeved). Only real drawback/warning is that I'd have liked Fantasy Flight to have put the monster cards in the bases. Some of the bigger bases were easy to get the cards in without a problem but the bulk of the small ones I was having to push one monster card in with another to get it in so either Fantasy Flight to put those in the base in the future or make that cardboard a little thinner to be able to put them in.

Tip for players looking into getting into Mansions of Madness, stick together if possible & as the games I've played/run so far, having the investigators running back & forth along the house with clues when they split up (where one found the special lock & the other found the key) ate up time when the event timer was clicking down.
Excellent advice, and I'm glad you're liking the game. I've got components in all kinds of boxes, so yeah... it doesn't store well in it's own box, but can't get enough of it.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:00 am

Excellent advice, and I'm glad you're liking the game. I've got components in all kinds of boxes, so yeah... it doesn't store well in it's own box, but can't get enough of it.[/quote]

Yes, after sleeving most of the cards on the base game & all the expansions (yep, got all of them as slight san loss on this game & how much I'd like it). One thing that might just be me or in general, but Call of the Wild expansion with the Dunwhich Horror, I find that the keeper puzzle rules to be a little tough to figure out & will have to look at them later after much coffee to make sense of it. Tried a solo run of it just to see the new expansion at work & love the allies but a bit put off on the keeper puzzle.

One thing I'll recommend to anyone getting Mansions of Madness, instead of the giant priced warhammer mini crates that can probably withstand a Russian tank hitting it, I found at my local game store a multi column white cardboard card box where with the 4 columns, I can fit all the small minis inside with the bases (still need to glue them down) inside that one box. So definitely look to something like that for easy storage. There are several forums on the FFG site for painting them or you can just give Fantasy Flight a lot of money for a set of painted ones. There are several minis in the Mansions line that I'd have loved it if they put a dime size circle below the mini to attach to the base, there are so many of them where it's just a thin foot to connect to the base & putting that circle base could be easy plus make it better to putting the figures on the bases.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Been going around the Dice Tower videos & found one for Doom that Came to Atlantic City. Even if you're like me & want to still play it before agreeing or disagreeing with the review, these reviews are good at walking through some of the game to see more of it.
http://www.dicetower.com/game-video/doo ... -tom-vasel

A quick way to find various Cthulhu themed games out there thanks to Board Game Geek:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php ... ulhu&B1=Go

Individual game pages will have links to reviews listed or some games might be on Dice Tower with the link above.

Also one for Kingsport Festival too
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/52156/ki ... t-festival