MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morning

Discussion about podcast episodes
toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morni

Post by toddwo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Keeper Dan wrote:The things I was thinking of regarding the Nazi/Mythos integration in Achtung! Cthulhu are based on the minis from their Kickstarter. Once you see Nyarlathotep in an SS Officer's uniform, you never quite forget it. :cthulhu1: :lol:
Having read just about everything published for A!C, I'm of the opinion that it IS very much on the "pulpy" side, especially in comparison to WWC. One of the main themes involves Nazi efforts to utilize Atlantean technology. WWC, on the other hand, with its focus on the SOE, seems "grittier".

Bear in mind that I'm not making value judgements here. I love the "Weird War" aspects of A!C, but they're not for everyone.
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

trinite
Freshman
Freshman
American Civil War Scenarios

Post by trinite » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Great discussion! This topic is especially interesting to me, since I'm currently writing and running a series of Cthulhu scenarios set during the American Civil War. Here are a couple of things that I've thought of that might be good additions to games set in wartime:

1. For my first scenario, all of the Investigators are wounded Confederate veterans. I created several different types of terrible period-appropriate war wounds (amputated hands, head injuries, unremovable shrapnel) and assigned stat effects to each one, such as penalties to Spot Hidden for missing eyes or a penalty against using rifles with a missing hand. Then, at the beginning of the scenario, I had each player roll randomly to see which wound his investigator had. That really seemed to help the players develop a connection to their character, and also introduced the theme of the randomness of warfare's suffering.

2. One thing that I've found in researching my scenarios is that, depending on the era, the investigators' attitudes toward war might be very different from what we might expect from our modern position. For example, while we tend to think of World War I very pessimistically as a wasteful tragedy, that view didn't become common among soldiers until the war had been going on for some time. At first, there was widespread patriotic fervor. Similarly, in the Civil War, soldiers on both sides tended to have very idealistic reasons for wanting to fight. It's very different, and interesting to me, to have that sort of idealism confront the horrors of the Mythos.

If you're interested in my scenarios, there's an Actual Play recording of the first one, "He Calls Me by the Thunder," up on the Role Playing Public Radio site: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... e-thunder/

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Cool! I like what you're describing. Can't wait to give this a listen.
Not a hack!

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: American Civil War Scenarios

Post by toddwo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:12 pm

trinite wrote:1. For my first scenario, all of the Investigators are wounded Confederate veterans. I created several different types of terrible period-appropriate war wounds (amputated hands, head injuries, unremovable shrapnel) and assigned stat effects to each one, such as penalties to Spot Hidden for missing eyes or a penalty against using rifles with a missing hand.
Sweet! And don't forget infection! We tend to forget that, in the days before antibiotics, any deep punctur wound could effectively be a death sentence, even if it was bound up and cleaned.
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

trinite
Freshman
Freshman
Re: American Civil War Scenarios

Post by trinite » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:33 pm

toddwo wrote:
trinite wrote:1. For my first scenario, all of the Investigators are wounded Confederate veterans. I created several different types of terrible period-appropriate war wounds (amputated hands, head injuries, unremovable shrapnel) and assigned stat effects to each one, such as penalties to Spot Hidden for missing eyes or a penalty against using rifles with a missing hand.
Sweet! And don't forget infection! We tend to forget that, in the days before antibiotics, any deep punctur wound could effectively be a death sentence, even if it was bound up and cleaned.
True, but I didn't want the investigators dying before the scenario began, so I left that out. :)

One problem I've encountered in designing pre-20th century war scenarios is "niche protection," or having enough diversity among the investigators' skills to ensure that they have multiple angles to approach problems. While by World War I you had a lot of specialization among different members of a small unit (think grenadier, machine gunner, radio operator, sniper, officer, etc.), there were a lot fewer different roles in a basic infantry squad.

While this didn't cause me problems in He Calls Me by the Thunder, since the investigators were veterans from a wide variety of military units joined together by circumstance, it's becoming more of a challenge in my second scenario, which involves a small squad of soldiers on a mission. While it's still easy to distinguish characters using different personality types, having different skills is trickier. I wonder if anyone has suggestions for addressing this issue?

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by toddwo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:11 pm

trinite wrote:While this didn't cause me problems in He Calls Me by the Thunder, since the investigators were veterans from a wide variety of military units joined together by circumstance, it's becoming more of a challenge in my second scenario, which involves a small squad of soldiers on a mission. While it's still easy to distinguish characters using different personality types, having different skills is trickier. I wonder if anyone has suggestions for addressing this issue?
Since you're talking about the Confederates, a very high percentage of your veterans would have been volunteers, especially early in the war. Therefore, any number of standard Gaslight-era professions might be represented.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:01 am

I'll put this one my list as the American Civil War was one of my focuses and still is though lately it has been why the South went to war . . . and that is a really long debate.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

trinite
Freshman
Freshman

Post by trinite » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:05 am

Shannon Mac wrote:I'll put this one my list as the American Civil War was one of my focuses and still is though lately it has been why the South went to war . . . and that is a really long debate.
If by any chance you can make it to Fear the Con in St. Louis this summer, you might be able to play it! :) And the current version is much expanded over the playtest that I recorded with RPPR.

monkey prime
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by monkey prime » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Really enjoyed this discussion! My system of choice for my current group is World War Cthulhu so it was great to have it all brought up and discussed. Massively looking forward to the "Home fires" book and the World War Cthulhu: Cold War source book.

Did anyone else catch the documentary on More 4 last Saturday on World War 2's Secret Spy School? Really interesting with some ideas for plot threads and even spy protocol for various things!

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:40 pm

In honor of the Christopher Lee discussion:

http://i.imgur.com/ROHIXhz.jpg
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/