MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morning

Discussion about podcast episodes
Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree
Re: MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morni

Post by Nvision » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Bah! Yes, my fledgling attempt at the spell was less effective than I had hoped. I suspect the blood donor for one of the spell components wasn't entirely honest about their purity... I also underestimated Mr. Hook's knowledge of babies' breath and my hold on his voice faltered just as I was negotiating with a publisher to hire an up-and-coming illustrator. Curses!

Mr. Leman is on my list as well, but he's proven receptive to Send Dreams, and has been relatively easy to manipulate thus far.

Also, I'm volunteering well in advance to be killed in horrible ways whenever Murph gets around to running Horror on the Orient Express.

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:17 pm

technuthulhu wrote:On Achtung! Cthulhu, there seemed to be an implication that the Nazi's were somehow influenced by the Mythos in this setting. I haven't seen that at all.
Apologies if I implied that at all. It was not my intention to do so.

I actually tried to avoid any specific mention of Achtung! Cthulhu as I've never read or played it. I've heard great things about A!C, but as developer of a game set in the same time period I try to avoid any unconscious influence I may pick up from it.

Mahaffa
Junior
Junior

Post by Mahaffa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Great episode as always Gents! Glad you got Mr Dorward on the show, very engaging topic indeed.

BTDub, got in on the Parcel of Terror and can't wait!! Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technuthulhu
Freshman
Freshman

Post by technuthulhu » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Scott Dorward wrote:
technuthulhu wrote:On Achtung! Cthulhu, there seemed to be an implication that the Nazi's were somehow influenced by the Mythos in this setting. I haven't seen that at all.
Apologies if I implied that at all. It was not my intention to do so.

I actually tried to avoid any specific mention of Achtung! Cthulhu as I've never read or played it. I've heard great things about A!C, but as developer of a game set in the same time period I try to avoid any unconscious influence I may pick up from it.
No worries. I actually have both and I am very much looking forward to upcoming releases in the World War Cthulhu setting! I am still very much interested in any resources for the SOE you might be able to suggest. I found the stories that you and Keeper Murph shared fascinating. Again, great episode. One of my favorite!

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:32 pm

This episode made me think about the playtest we did of Cold Dead Hand by Adam Scott Glancy. PCs were soviet special forces, Spetznas, at the end of the Cold War investigating a communications base that went quiet. There was a real chance that the investigators could have caused a nuclear war. I have nothing to add to the points you made on the show, but man that was a fun game.
Not a hack!

PirateLawyer
Senior
Senior

Post by PirateLawyer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 pm

EddyPo wrote:This episode made me think about the playtest we did of Cold Dead Hand by Adam Scott Glancy. PCs were soviet special forces, Spetznas, at the end of the Cold War investigating a communications base that went quiet. There was a real chance that the investigators could have caused a nuclear war. I have nothing to add to the points you made on the show, but man that was a fun game.
I've run CDH three times. The casualty rates for the PCs (and the redshirts sent with them) were:

80%
90%
100%

No nuclear wars, though there were nuclear explosions each time.

Good times.

EddyPo
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by EddyPo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:53 pm

PirateLawyer wrote:
I've run CDH three times. The casualty rates for the PCs (and the redshirts sent with them) were:

80%
90%
100%

No nuclear wars, though there were nuclear explosions each time.

Good times.
That's Awesome PirateLawyer!
Not a hack!

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 am

technuthulhu wrote:I am still very much interested in any resources for the SOE you might be able to suggest. I found the stories that you and Keeper Murph shared fascinating. Again, great episode. One of my favorite!
Glad you enjoyed it!

Apologies -- I missed the question about resources earlier. Books I've found interesting and useful include:

SOE: The Special Operations Executive 1940-46, MRD Foot
Secret Agent: Britain's Wartime Secret Service, David Stafford
Secret Agent's Handbook: The Top Secret Manual of Wartime Weapons, Gadgets, Disguises and Devices, Roderick Bailey
Forgotten Voices of the Secret War, Roderick Bailey
Secret War Heroes: The Men of Special Operations Executive, Marcus Binney

I hope this helps!

technuthulhu
Freshman
Freshman

Post by technuthulhu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:19 am

Scott Dorward wrote: SOE: The Special Operations Executive 1940-46, MRD Foot
Secret Agent: Britain's Wartime Secret Service, David Stafford
Secret Agent's Handbook: The Top Secret Manual of Wartime Weapons, Gadgets, Disguises and Devices, Roderick Bailey
Forgotten Voices of the Secret War, Roderick Bailey
Secret War Heroes: The Men of Special Operations Executive, Marcus Binney

I hope this helps!
Fantastic! Thanks.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 pm

The things I was thinking of regarding the Nazi/Mythos integration in Achtung! Cthulhu are based on the minis from their Kickstarter. Once you see Nyarlathotep in an SS Officer's uniform, you never quite forget it. :cthulhu1: :lol:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast