MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morning

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morning

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 am

In episode 70, Keepers Murf and Dan are joined by Keeper Scott Dorward for a show that means WAR!
This episode was recorded on January 18, 2015.

Campus Crier: http://www.dirkmanning.com/ Nightmare World

• The Thing on the Doorstep isfinally out on DVD. Winner of the Lovecraft Film Festival’s Best Feature Film Award in 2013
  • NecronomiCON has updated the Gaming section and are now taking submissions from people looking to run a game at the CON. More info at their website.
BEST BOARD/CARD GAME-
The Doom That Came to Atlantic City

BEST GAMING MAGAZINE-
Runners-Up: The Arkham Gazette

BEST TABLETOP BASED FICTION-
Runners-Up: Delta Green: Tales From Failed Anatomies

BEST ART-
Runners-Up: Call of Cthulhu, Seventh Edition Core Rulebook

BEST RE-MAKE/RE-RELEASE-
Call of Cthulhu: Horror on the Orient Express
Runners-Up: Call of Catthulhu Deluxe, Cathulhu: Velvet Paws on Cthulhu’s Trail

BEST ADVENTURE (COLLECTION OR CAMPAIGN)-
Tales of the Crescent City: Adventures in Jazz-Era New Orleans

• Murf got in his HotOE Box Set!
    • it is huge
    • it is awesome
  • He also got in Warpo Spawn of Cthulhu figurine
    • it is on a card
    • it is awesome

Cryptocurium Spotlight-
Prepare yourself to receive a “Parcel of Terror” every month containing an assortment of handmade items that represent the horror genre in all its forms. From Lovecraft to Slasher Flicks you can expect a wide diversity of ghoulish goodies in each box!

There are also Predator Magnets still in stock!

Side Topic
Character’s with experience as soldiers in their back story.

Items mentioned in the discussion include:

Island of Ignorance: The Third Cthulhu Companion
"Johnny Came Marching Home: Mechanics for Playing a Military Veteran" by Oscar Rios—Flesh out your Great War veteran's back story like never before.

The 1939 film The Roaring Twenties
Wikipedia article

Main Topic
The idea comes from our Eldritch Emeritus, Todd, who had the idea as a sponsor topic.
I had an opportunity to reflect on what I’d like to see in an MUP episode, and I’ve come up with a proposal. Tentatively titled “This Means War!”, the episode would cover military matters in Call of Cthulhu. Consider the following:

There has been a recent surge of interest in military topics. Witness, most recently, Cubicle 7’s World War Cthulhu and Modiphius’s Achtung! Cthulhu, Pelgrane’s Soldiers of Pen and Ink (for ToC), as well as Chaosium’s (much older) No Man’s Land and Shadows of War.

Characters with military-themed occupations are often very interesting and useful in the Classic, Modern and Gaslight settings, even if they are no longer on active duty.

Despite the claim that the Great War was “The War To End All Wars”, several major conflicts break out during the CoC Classic period, including, but not limited to, the Russian Civil War, the Chinese Civil War, the Russo-Polish War, and, edging into the Pulp-era, the Spanish Civil War, which is a personal favorite of mine.

Warfare almost invariably involves widespread political instability, destruction of economic infrastructure and the breakdown of social norms, creating a fertile bed for the seeds of eldritch horror and Things Man Was Not Meant To Know to take root and fester in the chaos and ruins. And, while the 20th Century heralded an age of increasingly devastating technologies, the collective psyche of Western Civilization, unhinged by the pointless death of a generation, is open and defenseless to those perils which loom from beyond space and time.
Items mentioned in the discussion include:

Cubicle 7's World War Cthulhu line

Achtung Cthulhu

Cthulhu Tech

Delta Green

The Void

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias Episode 44 – The Good Friends take up arms (and pseudopods)

Christopher Lee is more badass than any of the roles he's played!
Wiki
Site 2
Site 3
Site 4
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MU Podcast 070 - I love the smell of Mythos in the morni

Post by toddwo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Bravo and well done!
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 am

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it since it was your topic. :)

technuthulhu
Freshman
Freshman

Post by technuthulhu » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope this message finds you all well and Keeper Jon on the mend.

This was a fantastic episode. I may have to replay it. I have several comments and questions for you.

Keeper Murph and Keeper Scott had some great SOE stories. Where can one read more about the SOE? Do you have any book suggestions?

Keeper Murph, I adore the idea of a Joseph Conrad setting. Just the Heart of Darkness idea of a boat on a river in the jungle. Several eras would work... Imagining Apocalypse Now style campaign. Along these lines FNH has done some writing in this area. In particular, "Cthulhu and How I Found Livingstone." I've yet to read it, but FNH made it sound like it would give ideas of how to set a scenario in that setting. Another interesting setting that is along the same lines could be a Spanish expedition to South America. Spanish conquistadors, Aztecs, Mayan, etc etc. Could be very compelling.

On Achtung! Cthulhu, there seemed to be an implication that the Nazi's were somehow influenced by the Mythos in this setting. I haven't seen that at all. In fact, to quote directly from the Keeper's Guide, "Furthermore, neither the Secret War nor the Mythos are the cause of every event or outcome of the war. In particular, the Secret War and the Mythos are not the source of the evils that are perpetrated by the Nazis, or anyone else, during World War Two." (pg. 15, 2nd paragraph) This seems to be a pretty clear position to me. I've only run the first two Zero Point Campaign scenarios and in the first one, "The Three Kings"...
It's not the Nazi's that unleash a shoggoth that kills investigators, Nazis, Czech resistance, and civilians, but instead it's a member of the Czech resistance!
That's not to say that they Nazi's (and others) aren't dabbling in forces they don't understand. It's clear in "Heroes of the Sea" that...
Members of the SS are dabbling in the occult and performing rituals, which I believe is historically accurate. However, in this case, it seems that the Mythos answered instead of some other entity.
Maybe I haven't delved into the right depths of the books yet, but I haven't seen the Byakhee Luftwaffe Division. Sure, the Black Sun, Nachtwolfe, Ahnenerbe, and others are certainly steeped in the occult, the esoteric, and (I'm sure of for purposes of the game) the Mythos. I'm left pondering though if they know they're delving into the Mythos or if it's just a result of their research that the Mythos has been pulled out.

Lastly, on the Dark Ages and Invictus... I've not dabbled in either of these settings, but it came to mind that the world was very mystical and less scientific in that time period. Gods were everywhere and that's how things were explained. So, I'm wondering if the sanity effects of seeing Mythos creature would be somewhat lessened?

Very interesting discussion and I'm glad that you opted out of modern. Some of these things can hit a little too close to home for some folks.

Keep up the great work guys!
--ron.

Remember, "Never leave the boat."
Last edited by technuthulhu on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Mr. Dorward, just to give you a heads-up, I am currently studying sorcerous means to purloin your voice and claim it for my own. Sounding more confident and educated, I will then proceed to gather followers and employ them in my schemes to control the world.

Excellent show, as always, lads!

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Having fun listening to the podcast and had to mention that my great grandfather was a draft dodger during WWI. We still have a shaving mirror in a leather holder that has his deliberate misspelling of his last name he gave when he surrendered himself. He got married and wound up living apart from his new wife in an attempt to avoid being sent to the trenches.

Was sent overseas before the war ended, but didn't get involved in any fighting from what I can tell.

Strangely different from a great-grandmother who served as a nurse overseas. She died in childbirth, so I don;t have much on her but if I am not totally mistaken she may have been mentioned in dispatches.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

WinstonP
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by WinstonP » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Nvision wrote:Mr. Dorward, just to give you a heads-up, I am currently studying sorcerous means to purloin your voice and claim it for my own. Sounding more confident and educated, I will then proceed to gather followers and employ them in my schemes to control the world.
You might also consider Adam Gauntlett's voice for that purpose; he did book reviews for the old Yog Radio podcast.

Thanks for the kind words about the Arkham Gazette, gentlemen!

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 pm

WinstonP wrote:
Nvision wrote:Mr. Dorward, just to give you a heads-up, I am currently studying sorcerous means to purloin your voice and claim it for my own. Sounding more confident and educated, I will then proceed to gather followers and employ them in my schemes to control the world.
You might also consider Adam Gauntlett's voice for that purpose; he did book reviews for the old Yog Radio podcast.

Thanks for the kind words about the Arkham Gazette, gentlemen!
Andrew Leman, who sometimes read the stories for the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast, how about his voice?
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Did you already try this on Keeper Jon? That would explain why his voice fled him on Sunday!

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Scott Dorward wrote:
Did you already try this on Keeper Jon? That would explain why his voice fled him on Sunday!
It's all good now. I just completed the ritual where I steal the breath from a dozen babies, and now I have my magically hypnotic voice back!